Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesMonday, July 16, 2018
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 7
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,164
Newest Member: HiroProX
PdfFactory Pro Enterprise 2.31, MATFOR 4.00.061031 in Lahey Fortran, Adobe PhotoShop 9.0 CS2 oem, Trend Micro InterScan VirusWall 6.0, Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional sale, Salon Iris 5.05, Drafix Pro Landscape 11.2, oem Adobe PhotoShop CS 8.0 cheap buy, Catia 5 R12 P3 with SP2, Mcafee Secure Internet Gateway 4.5, oem Adobe Acrobat Professional 8 oem, Visual UML 4.1 Developer Edition, sale Adobe CS3 Design Premium Vol for Mac low price, Nuance Dragon Naturally Speaking 9.0 Professional With SP1, Adobe After Effects Plugins, low price AutoCAD 2006 cheap buy, Avid NewsCutter XP 3.8, The Movie Library 1.7.11, oem Adobe Creative Suite Premium Edition 2.0, ProFlyers 6.0 PDF Forms for Adobe Acrobat, PTC Pro Engineer Routed Systems Designer 5.0, sale DVDXCopy Platinum 4.0.38, CyberBizPlan v1.0.165 WinAll, NeverCenter Silo 1.16b, cheap buy AutoCAD 2005, Norton Save And Restore 11, sale Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Premium sale, Adobe Premiere Plugins Collection 2007, cheap buy Adobe Creative Suite Premium Edition 2.0 for Mac sale, Active Desktop Calendar 6.5.061124, sale Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Professional, X-Rite MonacoPROFILER Platinum 4.8, EmailUnlimited 6.1 Win98NTME, oem Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended sale
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | Hobbyist Licensing | VAX License PAK's
Author VAX Hobbyist Liscensing and a University Computer Science Club
CMGauger

Posted on September 09 2009 17:02
Hello, I'm a noob here (to use the colloquial term), as well as a bit of a noob at VMS.

Now my question is this. I am acquiring a refurbished MicroVAX 3100-40, and I have a VMS hobbyist license. The MicroVAX is a bit large to be hanging 'round my dorm room (insert laughter here). So I'm working with my school's Computer Science Club (by the by, I'm a first year mathie at the University of Waterloo, so yes I'm in that CSC) to loan them the machine while I am a registered student there.

Now I know that I can put OpenBSD on the machine and not deal with license issues. What about VMS? The loan to the CSC would involve the VAX being connected to the CSC's private network and being accessible only to CSC members. Following that, CSC members can use the machine for whatever the hell they want (be it school work, work work, screwing around, et cetera). Now would the hobbyist license still be a valid in this case? Or would one need to pay for a non-hobbyist license?

As a corollary to that, would one be able to register the UW CSC as a valid hobbyist licensee? Or would a specific individual be required to do so? (And furthermore, if I just let them use my VMS license, is that an issue?)

Thank you all in advance for all of your helpful insight.
Author RE: VAX Hobbyist Liscensing and a University Computer Science Club
HobbyistOne
Super Administrator

Posted on September 11 2009 06:20
Use the OpenVMS Educational License Program licensing. http://www.openvmsedu.com. It's free and works a lot like the OpenVMS Hobby Program, except the licensing is a little more lenient for schools.

To go a little further, it even allows your fellow students to get their own OpenVMS licenses - for instance, to have SIMH running on your laptop. You can even cluster the laptops together!

If you need any help, let me know, as I help manage that program, too.
Author RE: VAX Hobbyist Liscensing and a University Computer Science Club
CMGauger

Posted on September 12 2009 04:41
Many thanks for all your help. This website really is a treasure trove of VMS information.

HobbyistOne wrote:
Use the OpenVMS Educational License Program licensing. http://www.openvmsedu.com. It's free and works a lot like the OpenVMS Hobby Program, except the licensing is a little more lenient for schools.

This brings up my question of, because the CSC let's their members do anything (non-harmful to the software/hardware, as well as not illegal) with their machines, I'm seeing a teeny tiny conflict. (As according to the terms of the Educational Licence:
It may not be used for any commercial or business purpose, whether "for profit" or "not for profit." Any work performed or produced as a result of use of this Software cannot be performed or produced for the benefit of other parties for a fee, compensation or any other reimbursement or remuneration.
The simple solution on our end is just telling everyone to use the machines for non-commercial purposes only, but that's not going to be a "perfect" solution in any way, shape or form.

HobbyistOne wrote:
To go a little further, it even allows your fellow students to get their own OpenVMS licenses - for instance, to have SIMH running on your laptop. You can even cluster the laptops together!

Truth be told the CSC seems to be leaning a lot toward FOSS, so they'd rather run (and stay running) a variety of Linux-derivatives.

Before I tried VMS my favourite OS was OpenBSD. (Enough so that I had planned to install OBSD on the MicroVAX I'm purchasing.) Though now I find VMS more... intriguing.

But enough about that. Hopefully I can register the CSC for an educational licence. (Side note: Since the CSC is a mostly independant club on campus, could -- if the need ever arises -- the actual school acquire and educational licence as well?)

HobbyistOne wrote:
If you need any help, let me know, as I help manage that program, too.

Licencing always give me a headache so I'm pretty sure I'll need your help again.

"If you start losing data, people won't be using your operating system. Of course there are counterexamples to this..." -- Tim Brecht
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
June 26 2018
https://www.openvmshobbyi
st.com/forum/viewthread.p
hp?forum_id=10&thread_id=

bhamakripa
June 24 2018
I am trying OpenVMS via SIMH. Need to get OS binaries for v7.3. Registered here but don't have any membership number yet which is needed to get license. Pls suggest what to do. I hardly know anyth

basilh
June 05 2018
Any other forum members in Perth, Australia?

LouF91
April 05 2018
ah maybe they love that!

malmberg
March 24 2018
Probably. More people hang out on the comp.os.vms newsgroup.

vaxpert
March 23 2018
I have a PE42A and other Alpha system stuff for sale. I'm in So California. Any interest out there?

goodbyespy
February 27 2018
To Prohorenko. Please, visit group OpenVMS in the ok.ru

peteherrera
February 24 2018
How much does it cost to buy a complete OpenVMS hardcopy documentation set of the latest version

prohorenko
February 17 2018
Please help to obtain the license on OpenVMS

malmberg
December 12 2017
HPE only makes the most current version of OpenVMS Alpha / IA64 /VAX available to hobbyists. When I had access to the Alliance 1 program it was the same. No public downloads are allowed by HPE.

nmbonao
December 08 2017
Is anybody knows OpenVMS 8.2 version downloadable version? or CD copy? Thank you very much

aarommes
December 02 2017
Bitcoin and Blockchain enthusiasts ( plus distributed computing ) please connec / reply: http://www.openvmshobbyis
t.com/forum/viewthread.ph
p?forum_id=130&thread_id=

malmberg
September 10 2017
https://sourceforge.net/p
/vms-ports/wiki/VMSInstal
lation/ For the most part just use VMS 6.1 media instead of 7.3. But why run the older release?

DoeveR
August 07 2017
Where can I find the write up on running VMS 6.1 using the simh emulator?

Bart
March 20 2017
Happy to have found my password again!

Shoutbox Archive