I need to display the output of an application on FreeAXP (build 307) to the host Windows system with eXcursion server running.
It did not work with just the local Ethernet controller:
X Toolkit Error: Can't Open display
%DWT-F-NOMSG, Message number 03AB8204
On OpenVMS I did:
$ SET DISPLAY/CREATE/TRANS=TCPIP/NODE=192.168.1.21
On the host Windows system I have enabled all access to the X-Windows server.
Works fine from a 'real' OpenVMS system
I heard rumours that you can do this through the "Loopback Adapter" on the Windows system. I named the loopback connection on Windows "FreeAXP" and added this to the FreeAXP configuration file after the real Ethernet controller connection:
pci11 = de500
adapter="Local Area Connection";
Posts: 22 Location: Wageningen, The Netherlands Joined: 06.04.08
Posted on October 19 2011 04:55
There's a section in the manual on how to enable host-to-emulator networking using the TAP adapter from OpenVPN:
8.2 NETWORKING AVANTI ON A SYSTEM WITH A SINGLE NIC
Assigning Avanti its own NIC on a single NIC host system is feasible using a virtual NIC.
OpenVPN is one way to create a virtual NIC under Windows. The following steps describe how to create a virtual NIC using OpenVPN 2.1.1:
1) Download the OpenVPN 2.1.1 installation package for Windows from
2) Run the installation package, selecting only the “TAP Virtual Ethernet Adapter”.
3) Refresh the system's Network Properties. A new network connection with “TAP-Win32 Adapter V9” as the description should now be available. Rename this virtual adapter to “Avanti NIC”.
4) Go to the virtual “Avanti NIC” properties, choose “Configure”, and on the “Advanced” tab set “Media Status” to “Always Connected”.
5) Select both the physical NIC that is connected to the outside world and the virtual “Avanti NIC”, right click, and choose “Bridge connections”.
6) From a cmd window, run “NET STOP MSIPCAP” followed by “NET START MSIPCAP” to restart the Avanti PCAP driver.
7) Run the Avanti configuration utility and choose the virtual “Avanti NIC” as the network adapter.
This configuration allows the creation of network connections between the virtual Alpha, the host system, and the external network.
RE: Setup to display to X-Windows server on Windows Host
You got to have different subnets on WE0 and WE1 - define WE1 as 192.168.11.203/24, on the Windows side assign another (different) address to the loopback adapter in the 192.168.11.x/24 network.
Oh, and BTW: "loopback adapter" does not mean the adapter that has 127.0.0.1. Instead:
- Go to ‘Start” / “Control Panel” / “Add Hardware”.
- In the introductory dialog box, click “Next”.
- Select “Yes, I Have Already Connected the Hardware”, and click “Next”.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Installed Hardware list box, select “Add a New Hardware Device” and click “Next".
- Select the “Install The Hardware That I Manually Select From A List (Advanced)” option and click “Next”.
- Under “Hardware Types”, select “Network Adapters”, and click “Next”.
- Under “Manufacturer”, select “Microsoft”.
- Under Network Adapter, select Microsoft Loopback Adapter.
malmberg March 24 2018 Probably. More people hang out on the comp.os.vms newsgroup.
vaxpert March 23 2018 I have a PE42A and other Alpha system stuff for sale. I'm in So California. Any interest out there?
goodbyespy February 27 2018 To Prohorenko. Please, visit group OpenVMS in the ok.ru
peteherrera February 24 2018 How much does it cost to buy a complete OpenVMS hardcopy documentation set of the latest version
prohorenko February 17 2018 Please help to obtain the license on OpenVMS
malmberg December 12 2017 HPE only makes the most current version of OpenVMS Alpha / IA64 /VAX available to hobbyists. When I had access to the Alliance 1 program it was the same. No public downloads are allowed by HPE.
nmbonao December 08 2017 Is anybody knows OpenVMS 8.2 version downloadable version? or CD copy? Thank you very much
aarommes December 02 2017 Bitcoin and Blockchain enthusiasts ( plus distributed computing ) please connec / reply: http://www.openvmshobbyis t.com/forum/viewthread.ph p?forum_id=130&thread_id= 2991
malmberg September 10 2017 https://sourceforge.net/p /vms-ports/wiki/VMSInstal lation/ For the most part just use VMS 6.1 media instead of 7.3. But why run the older release?
DoeveR August 07 2017 Where can I find the write up on running VMS 6.1 using the simh emulator?
Bart March 20 2017 Happy to have found my password again!