Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesFriday, April 19, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 8
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | Alpha Systems Forums | FreeAXP
Author Multiple Terminals
NeonJack

Posted on January 11 2013 00:25
FREEAXP has just the Operator's Console (on port 9000) and TTA0 (on port 9001). I would like to connect a virtual Multiplexer (I think that is what this device would be called), or some other similar, and hopefully free, software so that you could connect more virtual terminals to the emulator (e.g. TTA1:, TTA2: TTA3: etc.), probably using the software on TTA0: (9001). Then when you connect using Telnet/Putty/Keavt/Reflection or whatever, using port 9001, the multiplexor would give you a unique TT: number (and probably automatically assign you a unique internal port number (e.g. 12001 etc).

I have had a careful look in the forums but if this topic has been posted already then I've missed it, sorry!

I agree this is probably a certainty for entry into the "Wishing For The Moon" competition, but if anybody knows of a means whereby I can do this, I would be very grateful.
Author RE: Umm Telnet ?
John Manger

Posted on January 15 2013 04:17
I expect I am missing something obvious :-) , but why not simply start another PuTTy and telnet to the emulator locally or do a similar thing remotely ?

Just my 2d/2c.

John M
Author RE: Multiple Terminals
NeonJack

Posted on January 16 2013 04:37
if you start a second PuTTY you still need to give the same port number e.g. 9001. The second connection then puts you in wherever the first connection happens to be - this might be in the middle of an FMS form for example, if the first session happens to be using the FMS Editor. The second session won't see what has already been painted on the screen of the first session, so if the cursor is in the middle of the screen on the third or fourth field, say, you will just see the cursor in the middle of the screen, blinking away. If OTOH, you use say port 9002, the emulator is not listening on that so the PuTTY session will sit there, not connected and therefore doing not a lot.

It'd be nice if you could do what you suggest, John (and thank you for your reply), but I think if we could the Multiplexer device manufacturers in the real DEC world would have gone bust long ago...
smiley
Author RE: Install TCPIP
fovea1959

Posted on January 16 2013 04:49
I installed TCPIP on my FreeAXP/OpenVMS 8.4, and my user uses ssh to get in when it's on the net. I have a user in on device "FTA2:" right now.

I'm going to stuff a 2nd virtual NIC into my OpenVMS attached to the Microsoft loopback adapter so that I can ssh into it from the host machine when I am "off-net".
NeonJack

Posted on January 16 2013 05:20
fovea1959 wrote:
I installed TCPIP on my FreeAXP/OpenVMS 8.4, and my user uses ssh to get in when it's on the net. I have a user in on device "FTA2:" right now.

I'm going to stuff a 2nd virtual NIC into my OpenVMS attached to the Microsoft loopback adapter so that I can ssh into it from the host machine when I am "off-net".

I have TCP/IP installed on my FreeAXP/Open VMS 8.4 as well. When setting up SSH in the PuTTY client what settings do you use?
NeonJack

Posted on January 24 2013 06:17
SSH is the way to go with this. You need to enable it by logging in as SYSTEM and running the TCPIP$CONFIG command procedure. Select the server option and install and get the SSH Server going. You do not need to worry about the SSH Clinet, because PuTTY is going to be that. Remember to do a @SYS$STARTUP:TCPIP$SSH_SHUTDOWN followed by a @SYS$STARTUP:TCPIP$SSH_STARTUP so that the changes will be put into effect. The first time you logon using PuTTY with ssh you will get a check saying the host's rsa key is not in your cache but if you are happy with it, you will then be able to connect. The terminal is set to "unknown" because, being a remote terminal, OpenVMS has no way of knowing what type of terminal it is. You can set it to be a vt400 by doing a SET TERM/DEV=VT400 and if you detect the terminal type in your LOGIN.COM file you can change it as you are logging in. My thanks to "fovea159" for making this brilliant suggestion (i set it up and ran 5 terminals straightaway!smiley)
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive