Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesThursday, April 18, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 1
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | Alpha Systems Forums | FreeAXP
Author Upgrade question
Paolo_R

Posted on August 18 2013 19:16
I posted this question on the HP OpenVMS forums but I should probably have posted here since it involves the interaction of FreeAXP/PuTTy and Windows:

"
I have succeeded in installing openVMS 8.4 in FreeAXP. I now have a file named 'openvms_alpha_8_4_update500.zip' on my Windows 7 laptop. This zip file contains 'VMS84A_UPDATE-V0500.ZIPEXE' and 'VMS84A_PCSI_V0200.ZIPEXE'

How do I go about applying these updates? I believe that I have to load my OS CD and choose the upgrade option, but then how do I get these .ZIP files into OpenVMS via Putty so that the upgrade can take place?

Thanks"

Apparently i don't need the OS CD Upgrade option - it's a question of transferring the ZIPEXE files into OpenVMS from Windows and running the ZIPEXEs.

I tried cut'n'paste but this did not seem to work. Advice appreciated.
Author RE: Upgrade question
Bruce Claremont

Posted on August 19 2013 02:22
Set up TCP/IP services under OpenVMS 8.4 (@TCPIP$CONFIG.COM). Then you can FTP the update kits onto the VMS system, extract them, and install them.
Paolo_R

Posted on August 19 2013 14:14
Bruce: I think I have configured TCPIP in OpenVMS by using the 'Automatic Configuration of TCP/IP Services Using DHCP Client'.

So assuming TCP/IP is set up in OpenVMS, my next question is how to transfer the files from my Windows laptop. I have FreeAXP/PuTTy running on the Windows laptop - I'm not clear on how I would set up a link between Windows and FreeAXP to do the transfer.

Sorry these are noob questions - I've never done this sort of thing before smiley
Bruce Claremont

Posted on August 20 2013 09:48
Use something like Filezilla to FTP files between Windows and VMS. This is straight forward assuming you have two NICs on the FreeAXP host system and have turned off all Windows services on the NIC assigned to FreeAXP.
Paolo_R

Posted on August 20 2013 21:37
Bruce: I'm afraid this is all too difficult for me. I can assign 2 NICs in FreeAXP using thepci11 and pci12 tabs. After that I'm stumped.

I used 127.0.0.1 as the host address, added the system username and password and port 9000. I get a "connection established, waiting for welcome message..."
There is a "Response :"<.. garbage..> (B Virtual serial0)"
then "Error: could not connect to server"
I have chosen the option to force UTF-8 as the character set (as Autodetect gives a message "Invalid character sequence received...select Force UTF-8 ..."

The fact that I got "(B Virtual serial0)" seems reasonably optimistic but where I go from here I have no idea.
Bruce Claremont

Posted on August 21 2013 01:56
Run TCPIP$CONFIG and make sure you have FTP enabled for client and server. From Filezilla, you need to use the IP assigned to FreeAXP. $ UCX SHOW INTERFACE will tell you what it is.
Paolo_R

Posted on August 21 2013 16:30
I ran @sys$startup:tcpip$startup and presume that tcp/ip is configured since it didn't offer to autoconfigure using DHCP (I had already done this.)

Running UCX SHOW INTERFACE gave:

Interface IP-Address Network Mask

LO0 127.0.0.1 255.0.0.0
WE0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0

I don't know what LO0 and WE0 are - they aren't shown as devices.
Bruce Claremont

Posted on August 22 2013 02:38
You don't have TCP/IP configured correctly or you don't have a DCHP server handing out addresses. Run TCPIP$CONFIG.COM. If you don't understand what the configuration procedure is asking for, it is time to hit the books.
Paolo_R

Posted on August 22 2013 17:16
OK, I'll do that. Thanks.
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive