Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesThursday, March 28, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 1
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | Alpha Systems Forums | FreeAXP
Author How to Create OpenVMS Disk image?
Cotham

Posted on May 16 2014 05:27
Brief background: I am a chemist by profession and have an instrument whose operating program runs under OpenVMS on a DEC Alphastation 255. I would like to try to get freeAXP up and running on this equipment for added reliability. I have limited OpenVMS experience since I typically only interface with the instrument software. My current problem is how to create an image of the OpenVMS boot disk on the real system so that I can put it on the emulator platform. The Alphastation is on our university network if that is any help. Could someone please reply with some guidelines or instructions in this matter?

Thanks!

Bill
Author RE: How to Create OpenVMS Disk image?
Bruce Claremont

Posted on May 16 2014 12:06
Three steps:

1) Create an image backup of the AlphaStation using BACKUP/IMAGE.

2) Install OpenVMS under FreeAXP in order to create a target system to which you can copy the backup image. The copy can be done using DECnet copy or FTP.

3) Restore the backup image on the FreeAXP system.

Migration Specialties provides fee based porting services for institutions that no longer have VMS resources.
Cotham

Posted on May 19 2014 05:56
Thanks for the Reply Bruce,

I am somewhat familiar with the BACKUP/IMAGE command and have used it to create a backup boot disk for our system. I am not quite sure how to move that image using FTP over to the emulator. Is this done by using the BACKUP command over FTP?

I understand Migration Specialties provides this service but we are an educational institution with limited funding for such things. Any further details that could be provided would be appreciated.

Bill
Bruce Claremont

Posted on May 20 2014 08:24
FreeAXP is essentially a brand new Alpha system with no O/S installed. Treat it like new Alpha hardware. You need to build a VMS instance from CD on the emulator, then transfer the image from your legacy Alpha system.
Cotham

Posted on May 23 2014 14:03
Success. I was able to boot into a standalone instance of Gentoo linux and use SSH and the dd command to copy the vms system disk to a Mac mini platform; from there just copied the image over to the FreeAXP host PC and it booted perfectly.

Most everything seems to be working except my DECnet connection to our instrument. I will try to post more details in a separate thread.

Bill
Bruce Claremont

Posted on May 24 2014 02:34
The NIC type likely changed when you moved to FreeAXP. Shut down TCP/IP services and rerun the DECnet installation procedure (NETCONFIG.COM). Reboot to confirm the settings take.
Cotham

Posted on June 11 2014 06:38
Ok, have everything working. Thanks so much for your help Bruce. One last thing that would make this setup better. Right now I log into the freeaxp virtual machine and have to do "set display /cr/tra=tcpip/node=ipaddress" to send the graphics to my windows machine that is running an Xserver. Is there a way to have the "set display" command run automatically when I login? If so can someone explain how to do this, IN DETAIL. I am not a vms expert!

Bill
Bruce Claremont

Posted on June 12 2014 01:49
Can you not put the SET DISPLAY command in your LOGIN.COM file?

Out of curiosity, which X-windows client are you using?
Cotham

Posted on June 12 2014 07:01
Hi Bruce,

Yes, I think I could put it in LOGIN.COM from what I have read. I just don't know the details (syntax, etc.) of how to do this.

I have been evaluating a couple of X-windows clients. Mostly been using MobaXterm and X-Win32 (trial version).

Bill
Bruce Claremont

Posted on June 13 2014 01:56
Xming is also viable. The command used should be the same as the one used interactively. Make it the last command in the LOGIN.COM procedure.

You should also be able to start an X-windows session on your PC, then log into the VMS system. DECwindows should pick up the graphics terminal type and start an X-windows session for you.
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive