Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesTuesday, April 16, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 4
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | Alpha Systems Forums | Alpha Software Forum
Author running x-windows applications on non-workstation alpha via remote X
m2-guy

Posted on September 24 2008 00:59
Hello,

1. I'd like to run a x11 application (which runs fine on any alpha openvms workstation) on an alpha vms server without graphics device (actually using the es40 emulator). On the es40, I have installed dwmotif with PAKs (using a image copy of the system disk of the alpha workstation having tweaked the network core/interface for tcp/ip which runs fine), but the es40 decw server support doesn't start up.

the es40 vms operator log on 1st boot said at startup "no graphics found," which is fair enough, but why don't I get at least the vms server side decwindow support so that I could run the x11 application remotely via x client on pc? currently on pc/windows I use putty/telnet to get a dec-terminal window, where I can login to es40. When I try to start the x app, I get the error "no display found."

2. is there a suitable x-windows client for pc/windows? (o/w I'd have to get linux on the pc too.)

thanks for your help!
Author RE: running x-windows applications on non-workstation alpha via remote X
m2-guy

Posted on September 24 2008 06:13
wanted to add: a license for dwmotif is active and base support installed since this file exists:

Directory SYS$COMMON:[SYSLIB]

DECW$TRANSPORT_COMMON.EXE;1
50 29-JUN-2006 18:25:29.15 [SYSTEM]

I've just read in the openvms vax 7.1 docs:

"DECwindows only requires that INET_ACP be running."

I guess this is ok since TCPIP$INETACP is running on my es40. so maybe there's no dedicated process for decw base support?
m2-guy

Posted on September 24 2008 12:48
Thank you, Stephen, after I put the $ define/... DECW$IGNORE_WORKSTATION TRUE in sys$manager:sylogicals.com, I got rid of "%DECW$DEVICE-I-NODEVICE, no graphics devices found error" at startup. otherwise nothing changed, i.e., the show sys process list was same as before, which means remote x server should have worked before, but I had not yet tried since I suspected the x client on the es40 were not active.

I installed cygwin/x on my pc/w2k (which took some time because I didn't RTFM :), launched cygwin/x on pc, had to add inettools via cygwin/x setup, because it is not included in the xorg-x11-base package, not even in the same [X11] category, then finally in the x terminal, I could telnet

/usr/X11R6/bin/xhost remote_ip_address_of_es40

/usr/bin/telnet remote_ip_address_of_es40

to the es40 emulator (running on the same pc), logged into es40 via telnet session, where I exported the display with the vms command

$ SET DISPLAY/CREATE/NODE=<IP address of pc with XWindows server>/TRANSPORT=TCPIP

Then I started my x application on vms, which - "wonder still happen," - opened a x display on (still the same) pc/w2k.

after a while, - - nothing is prefect :), my app crashed - due to an error in the es40 emu I guess, since I got 2 different errors; while my app runs well on a real alpha.

by the way, it is better to start the x apps via the es40 emulated serial line putty/telnet terminal, instead of using the cygwin X console, because it has scroll bar and session logging.

nevertheless, that's quite a progress - for me, - i.e., to know, that in principle at least, I can run my x app on es40 emu, all on one and the same pc - and maybe the remaining bug(s) in the emu could soon be traced down. ...

in the meantime it got late. let's call it a day :)
Edited by m2-guy on September 24 2008 13:03
m2-guy

Posted on October 13 2009 10:18
> As for what might happen with the Alpha emulation and any flaws within it, that's another matter and another discussion.

When I read your post at that time (September 24 2008) I already sensed a hidden message behind your wording. You seem to know the future already 6 months ahead of all others. smiley

Indeed there was no update of the emulator since last snapshot version May-2008, because Camiel, the main developer of www.es40.org was already involved in the development of a new commercial Alpha (and VAX) emulator.
imiller
Administrator

Posted on October 13 2009 22:53
but the sources of the ES40 emulator are available if you want to fix them :-)
http://www.encompasserve.org/~miller/
m2-guy

Posted on October 21 2009 07:57
> but the sources of the ES40 emulator are available if you want to fix them :-)

yes, and a while ago I checked the C source of many instructions (apart from FP-instr.) where I suspected an error but couldn't find one. My best guess is it's the (32bit) MS C++ compiler or it's run-time system. Maybe the error I get with my test program under es40.org doesn't occur if one runs the emu on a 64 bit system.

do you want to try my test program? (just run it; it doesn't process any input data.)

I can upload the exe of the test program somewhere. it stops with self-check (memory corruption) on the emu, but terminates without error on a real alpha.

the cause must be an erroneous emulation of some non-FP instr., artithmetic or zap or zapnot or pack/unpack instruction.
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive