Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesThursday, March 28, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 2
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | Alpha Systems Forums | Alpha Hardware Forum
Author StorageWorks RA3000 SCSI RAID tower
Altivo

Posted on March 30 2009 12:55
I have one of these that came with the DS10 I inherited. It was set up, as far as I can tell, for RAID5 spread across three 16GB drives, with the other bays empty. It had Tru64 installed, for which I had neither passwords nor license, so I wiped the drives and installed Debian Linux instead. I get 32GB of usable space, which makes sense for RAID5.

The problem is that I did not receive any software or documentation on configuring this tower. I'd like to add drives to it, but that won't work unless I can get at the setup. As far as I can tell, that required a machine running Windows NT connected to a serial port, with some special software that Compaq/HP no longer distribute.

Am I stuck, or is there a known solution? The tower and drives have been running smoothly for over a year with Linux on them, but I'd like to add another drive or two and put OpenVMS on as a dual boot configuration. The DS10 has no internal hard drive, only a floppy and a CDROM.
http://altivo.dreamwidth.org/
Author RE: StorageWorks RA3000 SCSI RAID tower
Altivo

Posted on March 31 2009 07:32
Thanks again. I had seen that article, but missed the link at the very bottom. Probably gave up when I realized that it was about controllers on PCI cards that actually reside on the CPU bus. The RA3000 is the HSZ22 controller that lives inside the cabinet with the disk drives. This time I followed the link through and found the "SWCC Tips" article with the link to the actual OpenVMS SWCC software on HP's site (which cannot be found by searching through any of HP's indexes I think, because I sure tried.)

It still poses a chicken vs. egg problem as I want to get VMS onto the machine that is attached to the array, so that machine can't yet run the VMS version of SWCC. This is not insurmountable, however. I'll just have to take the array home to my other Alpha that already has VMS installed, or else bring that Alpha to the array, which is in my work area at the library. In any case, you've provided what looks like a more viable option than any I had before. Mostly up to now it was "Keep using the array as is until the drives fail and then chuck the whole thing since you can't initialize new drives or reconfigure anything."
Altivo

Posted on March 31 2009 11:06
Terrific. Now that's really the kind of answer I was hoping for. I'll give that a try ASAP (probably Thursday) and let you know if it worked. There are, if I remember correctly, two serial ports on the back of the RA3000 and I suspected that one of them must provide some sort of BIOS or configuration capability. The only manual I could find on HP's web site did not explain this though, and strictly assumed the use of SWCC type software from a Windows NT host.

I begged the former owner to hunt for the original CD, which they must have had at some point, but they insisted they had nothing.

Finding a cable that isn't a null modem may be the hardest part of this task.
Altivo

Posted on April 01 2009 12:04
As I expected, it took some scrounging to find a straight through (modem) cable. However, I finally came up with one today. Your information about the HSZ22 is confirmed.

I found it did not require the "ESC &" sequence to start communicating. I connected the cable to a PC with both devices powered off. I booted the PC, started Hyperterm and set it to VT100 emulation at 9600-8-N-1 before turning on the RA3000 tower. The password prompt appeared immediately, without any keystroke entered on the PC. The password was still the default "decraid" as you suggest, fortunately, as I see there is an option in there to change it to something else. This gives access to the configuration menus, disk formatting and testing, error and activity logs, and even performance testing.

The host controller in this unit reports its identity as HSZ22 d11x, and the date stamp on the existing array (or perhaps the whole unit, it wasn't clear) is 09-12-02.

Thanks so much for your help. Now I just need to find a source for additional drives and carriers. I have four empty slots if I can get drives without mortaging my farm.
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive