Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesThursday, March 28, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 6
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | Hobbyist Licensing | VAX License PAK's
Author Jump through hoops ?
jdbertron

Posted on July 27 2010 05:46
Hey guys,
I'm trying to get a DCL/COBOL system set up to see what the program was doing.
I registered with DECUServe and got a license. I set up my SIMH following Phillip Wherry's instructions, but I'm not really sure what to do next.

I don't have an ISO file for OpenVMS and I don't see a package (Media Kit or PAK) that has COBOL for VAX.
The OpenVMS Media page points to some site to buy the CDs but I don't see a COBOL listed for VAX. It has COBOL for Alpha, but I'm not sure my SIMH emulator has an Alpha configuration. Yet the 'Available PAKs' page says COBOL is available in the Layered Products.

Which package should I get ?
And btw, I thought this was free for hobbyists ?

Any clarification would be appreciated.
Thanks.
J.D.
Author RE: COBOL and FMS for VAX Kit ?
jdbertron

Posted on July 27 2010 12:30
I also need the FMS and that doesn't appear in the purchasable media.
Does someone know if these are included int he VAX kit ?
Author RE: Jump through hoops ?
malmberg

Posted on July 27 2010 12:42
The hobby license for OpenVMS is free for non-commercial home use. Other use requires either a DSPP (Professional developer) or commercial license.

HP does not administer the hobby VMS program, or distribute media for it.

As I understand it, HP has granted the openvmshobbyist.org site permission to issue the license keys and to sell hobby media kits. The openvmshobbyist site is totally run by volunteers and any money made from the sale of the media kits over the cost of producing them goes toward it's operation.

HP does not allow public download sites of its software, but does not restrict where a hobbyist gets their media from.

So if you need software that is not on the hobbyist CD-ROM, then the best way to get it is to post either here or on the comp.os.vms newsgroup for what you need and where you are located, and that it is for hobby use, and how to contact you off line.

Apparently there was not room on the Hobbyist VAX CD-ROM for Cobol on the latest VAX cdrom kit. Cobol 5.5a was on the previous VAX Hobbyist CD-ROM.

People are encouraged to purchase the hobby media if it meets their needs to help support this site.

There are two free commercial Alpha emulators available for download that are documented on this forum, and one open source one. They would use the Alpha media.
jdbertron

Posted on July 28 2010 06:35
Thanks for the response. I tried PersonalAlpha (Charon AXP) but it doesn't work under Windows 7, so I'm using SIMH.
As for the media kit, I'm still not sure which one to get.
Are you suggesting I buy the latest version of VMS and then turn to com.os.vms to get a COBOL that will run on it ?
abrsvc

Posted on July 28 2010 06:50
Perhaps this is a discussion for another thread, but rather than trying to resolve the emulator situation...

What is the isseu with the Cobol program that you are trying to solve? Perhaps we can assit with that instead? There are many folks here that have VAX hardware that might be able to help (myself included).

Dan
malmberg

Posted on July 28 2010 16:49
I am currently running a Hobbyist cluster consisting of FreeAXP and SimH running under VirtualBox emulation on MacBook Pro. I run each emulator in its own Virtual machine, and use VirtualBox to provide a private internal LAN for cluster traffic.

So I have both. I never use Cobol though.

FreeAxp claims to be supported on Windows 7.

Before buying anything, I would recommend seeing if you can find all the parts that you need.
diegolocks10

Posted on October 05 2010 01:26
Hi, I'm a newbie here. So far I'm enjoying reading posts and I am learning from it. Thanks for sharing.
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive