Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesTuesday, April 23, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 6
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | Hobbyists and OpenVMS | How I Use OpenVMS
Author I am a VAX enthusiast...
Micha

Posted on February 15 2007 08:13
maybe one day I will do great things such as writing code like that:

MOV R3,@(R5)+ 8)

Seriously, I think PDP11 assembler is a very interesting thing to spend some time with. But I am personally not that far yet. In the meantime I got SIMH up and running on my PC. Enough patience to wait until I finally got Hobbyist licenses from DECUS :wink:

Soon afterwards I felt I would need a "real" thing - I could manage to buy a VAXstation 3100 m38 through ebay. Nice box. But 3.8 VUP is not too much when compiling C++ stuff. So I bought another box: a VAXstation 4000 m90 - amazing 40 VUP, WOW! I just love that one. The other box is not completely forgotten - to build up a cluster will be one of my next tinkering experiences smiley

The emulation on the PC is also a very interesting aspect for me. The ~20 years old hardware will die sooner or later, no doubt. Emulators will live on for a while...
I do not have DECs VUP benchmarking suite. From some simple tests I assume that SIMH/VAX on my state of the art notebook (1.6 GHz Centrino) must have around 7 to 8 VUP (its about twice as fast as my VAXstation 3100 m38).

Does it make any sense for a hobbyist to even think about the purchase of the Charon-VAX software? I dont have an idea about its price (why do they make such a secret of their prices???) and I wonder, if Charon VAX will outperform SIMH/VAX in terms of a magnitude, or if it would be just SOME faster.... :?:

Kind regards

Michael
Author
imiller
Administrator

Posted on March 07 2007 23:57
there is a free version of CharonVAX. I don't know if it is quicker than SIMH or not.
http://www.encompasserve.org/~miller/
Author
bofh

Posted on March 09 2007 05:31
I did benchmark latest Charon VAX demo and latest SIMH with calculate_vups.com.

[code:1:fdd210fc27]
Host platform:
Software: Windows
Hardware: Intel PIII-600
Results, VUPS:
Charon: 3.8
SIMH: 2.2
[/code:1:fdd210fc27]

Charon VAX definitely outperform SIMH by performance. However, demo version of Charon VAX have no "Accelerated CPU Emulation (ACE)" feature. So performance of commercial Charon VAX Plus will be ever greater. I know nothing about Charon VAX prices, but surely price will depend from set of purchased features and from product type. Charon VAX licensing is very flexible. It allow restrict maximum number of emulator instances, number of utilized host CPUs, etc.
Author
Micha

Posted on March 10 2007 08:15
[quote:512bd5f789]P.S. I have successful experience in extending of purchased Charon VAX feature set[/quote:512bd5f789]

You better delete that statement from this forum as fast as you can! I will delete my quoting as follow up. This is a promise!

For me it is still strange why Charon makes such a secret of their prices. I asked several people, got several "it is REALLY expensive" answers, but still have no idea about their prices...

So what. I'd rather spend some money to support SIMH development. Personally I ended up with a "real" machine: a VAXstation 4000-90. Very close to the upper end of small size VAX performance. And still some years ahead of simulated VAX performance.
Author
squayle

Posted on April 17 2007 10:01
"Expensive" is a relative. A production system can have downtime costs of thousands to millions of dollars. I've seen customers who are paying $10,000 per *month* in hardware support. CHARON-VAX provides high value for those customers.

I fly airplanes for fun. Spending $50-$100 per hour of flight time is part of my hobby. Expensive? Depends on your perspective.

If you want a free CHARON-something, you can download PersonalAlpha from the SRI web site and use it for free. IF you're going to play around with VMS, might as well be at version 8.3 instead of 5.5. You can get free licenses from DSPP or the Hobbyist program.

The "price" isn't secret as much as it depends -- there are low-end VAXstation replacements (one with only 16 MB of RAM!) to a 6-processor VAX that's faster than any physical VAX ever built.

I'm a CHARON reseller, and proud of it. My goal is to preserve VMS everywhere I can, and if I have to emulate the hardware, so be it.
http://www.stanq.com/charon-vax.html
Author 83 BOOT SYS
osca1069

Posted on May 16 2007 11:15
Friends, i need some help, after i executed this command:
>>>U C

>>>B/1 DKA300

SYSBOOT> SET SGTREQ 2800 ..for a cluster, but I dont have a cluster, after that when I do:
>>>START ...I get:

83 BOOT SYS
-DKA300 ...and dont boot the system.

How can I come back the configuration?

Before, when I do:

>>>START ..the system was OK, and always with DKA300.

Help me my friends, I didnt know what happend.

Many thants.
osca1069@hotmail.com osca1069@yahoo.com
Author 83 BOOT SYS
osca1069

Posted on June 05 2007 11:09
Thanks sir, but when i did what you tell me, the VAX dont boot, the $ caracter dont appear

Any way, where can I get some Operating System Tape VMS for my VAXstation 3100 KA42-A V1.3 , because i have just a device tape(small) to boot.

My email is [email protected]

I really appreciate your time sir.

Best regards,

Oscar Anaut
osca1069@hotmail.com osca1069@yahoo.com
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive