Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesFriday, April 19, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 3
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | OpenVMS Hobbyist Media Kits | OpenVMS Alpha Media Kits
Author firmware question concerning openvms 8.3 on DEC3000
m2-guy

Posted on February 10 2008 23:24
Hello,

1. just looked on the HP website; for DEC3000 there's only firmware rev. 7.0 (m300_v7_0, m400_v7_0, etc) available.

I wanted to order the new media kit with openvms 8.3; will it run on DEC3000 with fw v7.0?

because openvms 8.3 seems to require fw v7.3.

2. will the hobbyist alpha media kit 4.0 CD boot with the original DEC scsi cd-rom drive? (guess it can read 650MB CDs only.)
So could I simply replace it with a drive being able to handle 700MB CDs?

Thank you!

best regards
Author
m2-guy

Posted on February 11 2008 08:08
This is my DEC3000 model 600:

- Digital model no. PE42A-MA (codenamed: Sandpiper+), CPU: KN17, Series: BA47A
- 96 MB main memory
- PMAD-BA module (DEC Lance Ethernet)
- internal RRD43 (DEC 1084) SCSI CD-ROM drive
- two internal scsi hard disks

RRD43 is ok.
but is 96MB enough for one user?

the graphics is a turbochannel card with Bt chip, there is a sticker marked ME with a large s/n.
I don't know which graphics card it is. on the OpenVMS Graphics Controllers page you provided, there is no turbochannel card listed; at least I don't recognize any.

it was manufactured Mar-1994; don't know if there were any later upgrades; it had OSF installed.

as a test I tried to boot the binary kit openvms v7.2 CD after having upgraded the firmware and palcode with the fw CD that came with the v7.2 kit. both worked without problem. fw version is VPP PAL 5.56 I did not install v7.2 since I wanted to run v8.3.

thank you for your help!

best regards
m2-guy
[post edited to incorporate the previously open questions about graphics card compatibility]
Author
m2-guy

Posted on February 11 2008 10:28
> Boot the box up to the SRM console and issue a SHOW CONFIG or SHOW DEVICE

the graphics card is on TC0: PMAGD-AA

quote from your page:

> [PMAGD-AA is supported, though] with OpenVMS V8.2 and later these controllers will only provide 2D capabilities.

2D is good enough for me.

> Per the OpenVMS SPD you'll want 3 GB disk for OpenVMS Alpha V8.3

I have rz26 and rz28, together 3MB.

> you load compilers and tools and page files and your own files.

I only need vms v8.3 and DECwindows. (don't need any compiler; have my own.)

> The minimum physical memory for OpenVMS itself is 64 MB. DECwindows will likely double that,

I only need two terminal emulation under xwindows/motif. no other applications except linker and librarian. (I have my own application which is not memory hungry.)

v7.1 runs nicely on my other 3000/300 for my application. I can't imagine, v8.3 blew the resource requirements so much up. but it is of course entirely possible.

the 3000/600 didn't cost me anything. if it won't run 8.3 I'll find another system. thanks for your advice on alternative systems. I can't use a I64. I need an alpha.

I'm in Europe and given the weight, shipping cost are prohibitive even for shipping within the same country.

a friend offered me an alphaserver 4000, but the power supply seems to be broken. (when I press the power switch, the light goes off after about 3 seconds.) it is a (double wide) tower, about twice as big as the 3000/600.
Author
m2-guy

Posted on February 11 2008 23:39
my TC graphics card is supported (2D only). I edited my previous quote respectively.

> You'll want three gigabytes on one disk spindle as your system disk

2GB on one disk should be enough, if I only install v8.3 w/o decwindows. I could use SET HOST from the 300L (running v7.1). this way v8.3 should work with 96MB. ... once I get the network running from the [non-terminal emulation] console.

my task is just to check if an existing application which runs fine on 6.x and 7.x is compatible with v8.3. if not, any development work would be done under v7.1. (my application itself doesn't need xwindows/motif and it doesn't matter if it'd be slow.)

> AlphaServer 4100 (double-wide) series box is huge and power-hungry and somewhat faster (and loud),

thank you for the warning; good that I didn't take it smiley

so I'll give the new alpha media kit a try.

thank you for your help!
Author
m2-guy

Posted on February 19 2008 23:15
progress:

- received my vms v8.3 hobbyist kit yesterday,
- installed base opsys on the 1GB disk without motif, without any layered products, and without running netconfig
- v8.3 did not require to upgrade the firmware
- made an image copy of my application disk to the 2GB disk while temporarily connected to my 3000/300L
- reconnected the 2GB disk to the 3000/600
- did some tests under v8.3 from OPA0: console
- to adapt some scripts I used edit/teco and suddenly I was back in the RT-11 world of 1980. smiley only I couldn't remember what the teco <ESC> was; it is <ctrl>[

Notes:
- for running the debugger, the corresponding installation option in "development support" is required
- teco needs translated image support

so far everything I tried works great and runs faster compared to v7.1 on the 3000/300L. this means the base of v8.3 per se didn't become a monster. Once I get a bigger disk, I'll see how much slower it gets when running motif.

I guess this vms v8.3 systemdisk would also boot on the 3000/300L without problems.

I very much appreciate the openvms hobbyist kit, given I was not able to buy the v8.3 binary kit CD(s) directly from the producer (or reseller) - understandably, some orders are simply to small smiley, but at least today I've got the PAKs. Let's call it a day; the days are getting miraculous more often lately. smiley
Author disk space requirements
m2-guy

Posted on February 25 2008 08:52
Just installed DecWindows Motif with the traditional desktop (w/o new desktop and w/o 100 dpi video fonts) on the 1GB v8.3 systemdisk.

The system disk still has more than 400MB free space and the workstation runs nicely with 96MB main memory - at least with one user and two DECterm.
Author XDM might be helpful
HobbyistOne
Super Administrator

Posted on February 26 2008 05:45
If you don't have a box with graphics hardware, you can still install DECWindows and set up remote X logins. This takes less memory that running all the graphics locally (since your PC/desktop is the X Server), yet you still have that look-and-feel of a OpenVMS workstation.

Go into the TCPIP$CONFIG, goto to Server Components, and enable/start XDM. You will probably have to make sure the files in SYS$SPECIFIC:[TCPIP$XDM] are set up. There are several .TEMPLATE files which need to be renamed to .TXT, .CONF, etc. Restart XDM.

From a Linux workstatation (I use Fedora), hit F10 in the Username box, and select XDMCP. It should see your system, and set up a "Greeter" box for you.
Author RE: firmware question concerning openvms 8.3 on DEC3000
urbancamo

Posted on June 26 2010 21:34
The 3000/600 is one of my favourite alpha boxes, as long as you don't start taxing it with too much web browsing. Mine has a 24 bit graphics card which was fairly rare at the time, and on a trinitron based DEC 21" monitor produced stunning images...
http://www.wickensonline.co.uk
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive