Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesTuesday, April 23, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 1
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | Hobbyists and OpenVMS | Introduction Forum
Author Another new guy
timwilky

Posted on April 30 2008 11:34
Hello everyone.

surfing yesterday, I came across simh and openvms hobbyist.

What there is a VAX emulator. Wow signed up, got my media on order. Only problem is I haven't touched a VAX for about 10 years.

In another life I use to cut code in Macro32, fortran and the dreaded basic+, C always seemed to run very slow. Started off on 750s, 785s and when we had our office block finally knocked down, there was an 8810 still in the computer room. Having by that time deserted DEC for Sun.

These days it is java and unfortunately C#, I chucked out all my VAX/VMS documentation/notes etc some years ago, so this is going to be an exercise it resurrecting long dead brain cells.

So first question, is there an on line documentation set available anywhere.

Tim
Author RE: Another new guy
jkmccarthy

Posted on April 30 2008 12:30
Hi Tim --

Welcome, and yes there is a copious amount of OpenVMS documentation available on the HP web site. Here is a link to a place to start:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/

Enjoy your simh system !

-- Jim

http://108.245.139.61:8000/~jkm/computers.htm
http://108.245.139.61:8000/~jkm/
timwilky

Posted on May 01 2008 09:59
Cheers for the pointers to the documentation.

I am hardly a newbie with VMS, probably forgot more than many people knew. I used to write VAX unibus device drivers. and also was my companies VMS guru. Boy the amount of QIO calls I must have done for custom screen interfaces.

Interestingly the real oddball was using quad word time/date stamps within rms indexes as being least significant bits first ,It was a real screw up. so ended up with a little routine to reverse the quad word order of bits before you wrote a record and run it again after reading before you then do the conversion to real date strings etc.

AS for java &c#. That is what I am doing these days. Never would have thought of running that sort of language on a VAX.

Looking forward to re learning the edt editor
pfau

Posted on May 01 2008 13:36
There should have been no need to reverse the bytes. You could have set up a segmented key. I'm not sure of the performance of those, though. Also, later versions of VMS, at least on Alpha, supported quadword keys.
http://nbpfaus.net/~pfau/
timwilky

Posted on May 02 2008 03:18
pfau wrote:
There should have been no need to reverse the bytes. You could have set up a segmented key. I'm not sure of the performance of those, though. Also, later versions of VMS, at least on Alpha, supported quadword keys.

Not bytes, bits, yes the key would have been segmented if it had been simple bytes.

By the time Alpha was a reality, we had already jumped on the sun/unix bandwagon. That was a culture shock, coming from a DEC background all the tools I needed and took for granted were missing. Suddenly the interface was raw, performance management/monitoring crude. complex batch processing etc not as good as you knew it could be.

That is why I am keen to get my SIMH system up and running. Just to remember what I used to take for granted. I keep looking out for the mailman hoping he has my distribution kit. Waiting to join my HPUG to get my license paks. I get the feeling the wife will again become a computing widow. Still at least that means she will nag me to take time out and take the bike out the garage for a blast.
imiller
Administrator

Posted on May 06 2008 05:23
Note that the CHARON-VAX and Alpha emulators are available for free to hobbyists.
When you get it running you have a choice of TCPIP products - HP, TCPWARE or MULTINET - all available for free. smiley
http://www.encompasserve.org/~miller/
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive