Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesThursday, March 28, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 3
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | Hobbyist Licensing | Integrity License PAK's
Author How does a hobbyist obtain VMS/I64 media?
nickca

Posted on March 25 2010 09:59
Paying whatever HP charges is out of the question. Now that dirt cheap Integrity servers are becoming available (rx2600s can be had for around $200, I paid $200 for an rx2600 and an Alpha DS10 - yes, be jealous smiley), will an Integrity hobbyist kit be offered anytime in the near future? I have a licensed copy of VMS running on it now, but I'd like to have install media in case I ever need to reinstall the OS for whatever reason. The only OS media I have for it is HP-UX - I would hate to resort to running that, or the same boring old Linux I run on my PCs.

Is there anyone reading this that would be willing to burn or part with a copy of VMS install media for Integrity? It wouldn't be a license violation, since I'm licensed to run the software, or at least will be when the hobbyist database is updated with my Encompass number.
Author RE: How does a hobbyist obtain VMS/I64 media?
brad

Posted on March 25 2010 12:41
nickca wrote:
Paying whatever HP charges is out of the question. Now that dirt cheap Integrity servers are becoming available (rx2600s can be had for around $200, I paid $200 for an rx2600 and an Alpha DS10 - yes, be jealous smiley),

OK - I will.
:-)

nickca wrote:
will an Integrity hobbyist kit be offered anytime in the near future? I have a licensed copy of VMS running on it now, but I'd like to have install media in case I ever need to reinstall the OS for whatever reason. The only OS media I have for it is HP-UX - I would hate to resort to running that, or the same boring old Linux I run on my PCs.

I may be *way* off here, but I think that a hobbyist license will work just as well as a "legal" license.

nickca wrote:
Is there anyone reading this that would be willing to burn or part with a copy of VMS install media for Integrity? It wouldn't be a license violation, since I'm licensed to run the software, or at least will be when the hobbyist database is updated with my Encompass number.

Install media may be hard to come by, but an "offline", image backup of the system disk would technically suit your needs as well, while also affording you the experience of learning some of the basics of VMS system management. All it would cost you would be a spare, dedicated disk, or a tape drive and a tape, and some time learning and doing.
:-)
http://www.turquoisewitch.com/~bradh
yuri

Posted on August 20 2012 04:24
Hi,

I have a similar problem. A nice Itanium server, a valid license, but no install media. Unfortunately, I do not have an installed system either. Is it indeed legal to copy install media? If so, I'd be most interested in a copy, if anyone could provide one.

I do have an OpenVMS 8.4 upgrade for Itanium, but it seems it can't be used for a fresh install, unless I'm doing something wrong? If so, please do let me know what the trick is.

If I can help anyone with a copy of my upgrade DVD, or an image file of it, I'd be most happy to do so, if this is indeed legal.

Kind regards,
Yuri.
malmberg

Posted on August 22 2012 17:26
If this is a hobby system, then when you register for the hobby licenses there also a temporary account set up for you to download the media.

If this is a commercial system, contact your reseller. Under HP licensing conventions, commercial licenses do not transfer with the sale of a system box and need to be transferred. Authorized resellers know how to do this.

As far as I know there is only one VMS 8.4 installation media that can be used for either upgrade or fresh installs. You just boot from the CD-ROM and follow the menu prompts.

And previous statements from HP is that they are not concerned as to where Hobbyists get their media from, but to my knowledge have not authorized anyone to provide it for public download.
John Manger

Posted on August 23 2012 20:13
malmberg wrote:
And previous statements from HP is that they are not concerned as to where Hobbyists get their media from, but to my knowledge have not authorized anyone to provide it for public download.

Ah! That is an interesting statement !
It sounds quite plausible, but do you recall the source for that ?
Do you think that would also apply to Tru64 media as well ? (it too had a hobbyist program once upon a time).

regards,
John M
malmberg

Posted on August 24 2012 02:08
I seem to remember seeing a post by an Digital Employee on comp.os.vms about the hobbyists obtaining media. And I think that I saw a post that by the Dallas/Fort Worth DECUS Users group, which used to run the media program that Digital would not allow them to offer downloads. This dates back to the early days when John Wiz*. was the main public advocate of the program at HP/Compaq/DEC.

HP charged about $100 for the Tru64 license and I think that included a media kit. I do not know what their current policies are. John Egolf may know.
yuri

Posted on August 28 2012 03:52
Dear Malmberg,

malmberg wrote:

If this is a hobby system, then when you register for the hobby licenses there also a temporary account set up for you to download the media.

In that case I must have missed or overlooked the means to download. I did have another look through all my emails and the log file from my DECUServe session, but no luck there. Is tehre a way to obtain that link again?

malmberg wrote:

As far as I know there is only one VMS 8.4 installation media that can be used for either upgrade or fresh installs. You just boot from the CD-ROM and follow the menu prompts.

I do have an upgrade CD, but since the machine hangs pretty early on in the booting process, I assumed the problem was that the upgrade CD can't be used for a fresh install. I'll have another look into this.

Thanks for your input!

Best wishes,
Yuri.
malmberg

Posted on August 29 2012 03:09
The DECUServe session has nothing to do with the license key distribution, that is coming directly from HP.

In the e-mails that I received, the from: address was a person that you can contact and request access to the media.

For either upgrades or installs, you first boot to the VMS DVD, which should bring up a menu for you to start an installation or upgrade.
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive