Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesThursday, April 25, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 5
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | VAX Systems Forums | Emulated VAX Forum
Author how to build simh 3.9 under Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with TCP/IP
dk2vh

Posted on January 15 2018 07:18
Hello

since weeks I try to get my OpenVMS under simh 3.9.x / VAX (7.3.x) to run. One of the primary problems is the missing libqcap under Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (either GNOME3 or native) and Windows 10 Pro 64 bits. I couldn't find a compilable version of simh with libqcap running TCP/IP on my OpenVMS. All the availabe software is not reachable for me, cause I couldnt transfer it onto my OpenVMS-filesystem without running TCP/IP...

also there were no chance to create a running ISO-System for importing VAX-Software from my other hosts, cause still only the origin OpenVMS-ISO is running under DUA3:/RQ ... all other external created ISOs were rejected (perhaps mountable with /OVER=id, but not readable directory structures).

Who has a running simh with TCP/IP under Ubuntu and how you built it with the current libraries? (contigously upgraded to last releases).... ?????

Is any one up un OpenVMS/VAX still until today?????

Greatings
Veit Heise
Author RE: how to build simh 3.9 under Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with TCP/IP
robl

Posted on January 16 2018 00:21
dk2vh:

I just built SIMH last night on Ubuntu 16.04.3 Server last night.

First I suggest building the latest version of SIMH (currently it is a beta of 4.0). Version 3.9 is very old and there have been many improvements and fixes since it's release. Many of the improvements have been to the networking parts of simh.

wget https://github.com/simh/simh/archive/master.zip
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install libpcap-dev vde2 libsdl2-dev
sudo apt-get install unzip build-essential bridge-utils
unzip master.zip
cd simh-master/
make

The commands above will build SIMH on Ubuntu with networking support. In the most recent versions of SIMH, networking is enabled by default.
Edited by robl on January 16 2018 00:23
malmberg

Posted on January 16 2018 03:00
Has anyone checked if Ubuntu has updated the libvirt package for Ubuntu 16.04 to the actual version needed for the LXD/LXC versions bundled?

The best way I found to run SimH/VAX with networking is to use a LXD container, and the easiest way to configure it is with libvirt.

It would be nice if SimH could be enhanced to so that its configuration could be managed by libvirt.
With libvirt, the VAX emulator shows up looking like a VM to standard management tools.

Unfortunately my upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16 had to be backed out, because LXD/LXC bundled with it requires "capabilities" to be set for the SimH/VAX, and the version of libvirt provided by Ubuntu 16 was too old to support it.

https://sourceforge.net/p/vms-ports/wiki/SimH-VAX%20in%20a%20Container/

Also the VMS distributions are not ISOs, they are disk images. Any tool that actually expects it to be an ISO will fail.
malmberg

Posted on January 16 2018 03:13
This thread will be moved to the Emulated VAX Forum soon.
sureshot

Posted on April 22 2018 13:58
i am using windows 7 ultimate
prk62
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive