Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesTuesday, April 23, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 3
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | Alpha Systems Forums | FreeAXP
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Author RE: Tur64 Installation on FreeAXP
Paolo_R

Posted on February 26 2018 14:05
Of course, the next question is: how do I set up a X11 terminal to access Tru64 UNIX CDE?

I can open MobaXTerm and use Tru64 UNIX from a PuTTy session (but only while FreeAXP/UNIX is running.) I'm unsure how to launch a 'graphical'/CDE environmant.

Paul
Edited by Paolo_R on February 26 2018 14:49
Author RE: Tru64 Installation on FreeAXP
malmberg

Posted on February 27 2018 03:25
A 'graphical' environment varies based on what you want to do.

I know nothing of Tru64.

In general, you wan to setup your X-11 client to tunnel through SSH to the target system. That is you issue an SSH command to run in the foreground or background to launch either xterms or a session manager.

You may need to setup at least one target system with that OS as a font server to the X-11 client. That is definitely needed for OpenVMS, so I would expect it to also be needed for Tru64. If you do not setup a font server, the substitutions may not be correct.

Once you have that working, then when you run a local display on Tru64, the GUI environment has two major components, a session manager, and a window manager.

You have the choice of launching a session manager or use a menu in your x-11 client as a session manager to launch individual programs.

Generally your X-11 client will supply its own window manager. Using the CDE window manager may give you a more accurate look and feel, but it can be significantly slower than using the local window manager. Using the CDE window manager remotely also consumes more resources on the Tru64 system.
Paolo_R

Posted on February 27 2018 16:10
malmberg

Thank you for that info. I really need to find an Idiot's guide to X-servers/X-11 because the technology and termiinology is not something that I am familiar with.

Paul
malmberg

Posted on March 01 2018 03:06
I am afraid that I do not have such a guide as of yet.

There is a lot available on the wild wild web, primarily for Linux and Bsd.

My Xming system on Windows 8.1 will not use any saved configuration file, even the one created by its own GUI.

I switched to it because I could not get the Cygwin/X to work for some operation, I think it was specifying a font server. I later found out that the syntax had changed for the command that was not working.

The now current Cygwin/X has been intentionally brain damaged for "Security" reasons by the maintainer to prohibit it from accepting connections from the network, even localhost, which is required for SSH tunnelling. Contrary to the Cygwin X FAQ which documents this, you have to actually edit the xinit script to undo that. Setting the options the FAQ way will disable other required settings and there is no way to override this except editing the xinit file.
John Manger

Posted on March 02 2018 03:55
From memory ('cos I don't have one installed right now), you start up the X11 emulator on the PC, and look for 'xdmcp', the protocol over which X11 servers can advertise themselves. Usually you allow (or force) the PC X11 emulator to look for and/or accept xdmcp broadcasts, and, with luck, you see your Tru64 instance listed. Then you 'connect' and log in.

Of course, that assumes you installed the X11 subsets on Tru64. ;-)
If you did an 'everthing' install, they'll be there.

To allow a root X11 login, you'll need to edit the /etc/securettys file, and add a line for the remote X11 emulator ... something like mumble.here.com:0 or 1.2.3.4:0 or myPC:0. The name and/or ip addr should be resolvable at the Tru64 end (so in hosts or via DNS).

John M
Edited by John Manger on March 02 2018 03:56
Paolo_R

Posted on March 02 2018 10:03
I understand that SSH and X11 forwarding need to be set in PuTTY. Unfortunately the PuTTY front end for FreeAXP does not show the SSH options - they are excluded from the FreeAXP version - unlike the full version. So I am not sure how SSH/X11 Forwarding can be set up with FreeAXP.

Is it possible to replace FreeAXP's PuTTY with a full version? If so how would the 'new' PuTTY need to be configured to launch the Alpha server?

Paul
Edited by Paolo_R on March 02 2018 10:12
Bruce Claremont

Posted on March 03 2018 04:10
FreeAXP installs the full version of PuTTY 6.1 and SSH is available. You may replace it with newer/different versions of PuTTY at your pleasure. PuTTY DOES NOT offer any sort of X-windows functionality.
Paolo_R

Posted on March 03 2018 10:24
Bruce Claremont wrote:
FreeAXP installs the full version of PuTTY 6.1 and SSH is available. You may replace it with newer/different versions of PuTTY at your pleasure. PuTTY DOES NOT offer any sort of X-windows functionality.

Bruce

I understand that PuTTY is not X-Windows capable. As far as I understand things, SSH/X11Forwarding and an X-Server are minimum requirements for X-Windows. So I have XMing as the X-Server.

If I want to use, say, the CDE/Motif facilities within Tru64 UNIX I need a way to get into the Alphaserver and UNIX. The only way, as I understand it, is via PuTTY. So are you saying that I cannot use CDE/Motif using FreeAXP?

If you are NOT saying this then how do I get to use CDE/Motif using FreeAXP?

I don't expect a tutorial on the subject but some pointers would be helpful.

Thanks
Paul
malmberg

Posted on March 03 2018 10:38
Putty allows SSH tunneling from the Windows Host to the OS running on FreeVMS.

You can also tunnel through any SSH session.

This does not have to be the putty used for the Windows console.
Paolo_R

Posted on March 03 2018 11:01
malmberg wrote:
Putty allows SSH tunneling from the Windows Host to the OS running on FreeVMS.
You can also tunnel through any SSH session.
This does not have to be the putty used for the Windows console.

So I need to set up a Tunnel. Is there any particular port that I should use for the tunnel?

If I want to use another version of PuTTY what host name or IP address to I need to be able to access FreeAXP/Tru64 UNIX?

As you probably guessed, I'm struggling here.

Paul
malmberg

Posted on March 04 2018 14:56
Your X-11 server on the PC must be able to listen to connections on 127.0.0.1:6000 for server 0, screen 0. That should be the default for most X11 servers.

From Putty (not the opa0 console connection), Under SSH, Under X11, you need to have X11 enabled X11 forwarding. X-display location should be localhost:0.0 (Or matching the server / screen above)

Then you can enable MIT-Magic-Cookie-1.

When you SSH to the hostname of the target system, the SSH session should have a 'DISPLAY" environment variable preset for the private server for your session.

$ echo $DISPLAY
localhost:10.0

Note that the number after localhost will vary because it will be unique to that node.

So from that point on, just running an X-11 application on that SSH connection should just work.

On VMS, the command SHOW DISPLAY will show the connection. There is a bug in all known VMS implmentations in that the host should be localhost, and is instead showing the public hostname. If the VMS host is behing a NAT connection, you have to recreate the display connection with hostmame localhost for it to work.

John Manger

Posted on March 05 2018 02:17
Maybe I missed something ... but a 'basic' PC X11 Server doesn't need any form of 'secure' connection. Provided your client PC with its Xserver can 'see' the Tru64 instance, xdmcp will get/find the CDE/Login screen from Tru64. Thats all I need to get VcXsrv see a Tru64 instance. Why would you want/need tunnelling ?

John M
malmberg

Posted on March 05 2018 02:41
Tunneling is becoming the normal method of using X11.

It also takes care of setting up the DISPLAY environment variable by default.

As I primarily use X-11 with OpenVMS, I never use xdmcp, so I do not use it.

Non-tunneled X11 is typically insecure as there is nothing preventing a hostile server on the network from accessing the screen/mouse/keyboard.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive