Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesThursday, March 28, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 5
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | Hobbyist Licensing | Alpha License PAK's
Author Alpha License PAKs
roslynlea

Posted on July 19 2009 14:22
I joined connect-community a couple of weeks ago as a fully paid up member, not a guest/associate. I obviously seem to need a DECUS number to fill in the relevant form to acquire Alpha PAKs. How can I get this number?
Thanks,
Ron...
Author RE: They will sent it to you...
HobbyistOne
Super Administrator

Posted on July 20 2009 04:17
They will send me a set of updates (typically on a weekly basis) of membership information. You should receive a mailing that includes your member number. They have made some recent changes in how they process memberships internally, so it might take a little longer for this cycle.

Once those two things are done, you can register for licenses! If it gets a little slow, you might want to call them and ask about it.
Author RE: Alpha License PAKs
morpho84

Posted on August 01 2009 04:09
Stephen Hoffman wrote:
The "DECUS number" is the alphanumeric identification string assigned to you by the user group.

I got no such identification string from Connect (I signed up as guest, though).
Are we talking about our Connect user name or is it something else they should send us?
morpho84

Posted on August 02 2009 00:05
I need to clarify this as well.

I wasn't given any alphanumeric id, though my membership request was accepted straight away.
The site shows no sign of a "membership number" either.
After a bit of help from HobbyistOne and others at HP, I found out I was in the last update AND what my Connect membership number was.

I think this is just one of the post-reorganizational issues others have been talking about :)
windy

Posted on August 05 2009 06:32
Erin/Connect have advised that they are working on allowing members to view their Membership Number when online. In the meantime if you ask nicely I am sure they will/can advise you of it via email.

Having said that, you may still not be able to register for a license as whatever process exists to ensure that such details are shared seems to involve a fair degree of lag....
Edited by windy on August 05 2009 06:33
HobbyistOne
Super Administrator

Posted on August 06 2009 18:51
Stephen Hoffman wrote:
HP has classically expected everyone to be a member of an HP-recognized user group as a prerequisite for access to the OpenVMS hobbyist licenses.

Actually, that was John Wisniewski and I that did that, so the Hobbyist Program and the User Groups could attain mutual synergistic benefits in order to maximize total market opportunities.... Aw nuts. It sounded good at the time. And it has been beneficial on multiple levels.

I've changed the language on the license registration to remove "DECUS" so much, since it's usage is archaic. And they are working on helping people get their member numbers. The new company that's handling that I guess doesn't get that sometimes member numbers are useful and hid them.
Balthor12

Posted on September 29 2009 01:36
The other option is to pay for an individual Connect Community membership.

Regards

Balthor

____

simulation de pret
dwoodard

Posted on September 29 2009 08:11

I tried signing up for the free connect membership about a month ago, and I've had what I believe to be my membership number for perhaps 3 weeks. What I've been using for a membership number is the number helpfully displayed on the main page immediately after login.

Still I am unable to register for the licenses. My questions are
1) Is this number my acutal membership ID, or is there a different number that gets sent to the hobbyist program? it's described as being 'alphanumeric' so perhaps there's a prefix or suffix I should be adding to my numeric id?
2) Is guest membership at connect sufficient? I had read in several places in the forums that it was, but some of the statments in this thread lead me to believe that it may not be.
3) Is there any reason there would be a >1 month lag in transfers from connect?

Thanks
--douglas
id10t_error

Posted on October 07 2009 16:58
Is the only way to obtain a PAK is to register under one of the HP supported user groups and pay? I work with OpenVMS at work running SCADA software to control our treatment plant. This is how I fell in love with the operating system. So i found Personal alpha and bought the OS media from the hobbyist site. I am a poor sophomore computer science student still learning the OS. Is there anyway to get a free PAK?. Im finding it difficult to use TCPIP without the PAK's. Does anywone have idea's? can i have someones PAK? Its only for Dev reasons, or is that bad form? I need a c++ compiler Errrr. I want to integrate my Microcontrollers through a rs-232 connection. Make a little telemetry network to control random stuff. Im guessing my best bet is to go though connect which seems the general census on this thread.

Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window.
Edited by id10t_error on October 07 2009 17:05
imiller
Administrator

Posted on October 08 2009 22:30
you can join a local user group that is affiliated with Connect. This is one route to getting the hobbyist licences.
http://www.encompasserve.org/~miller/
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive