Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesThursday, March 28, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 10
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | Alpha Systems Forums | Alpha Software Forum
Author Move the frog to the Alpha
strupat

Posted on March 07 2012 04:57
Is there a way to make the kermit frog jump from my windows computer to my new alpha255 ? And maybe he could do it using the serial cable ? smiley

...well, DEC released the alpha255 on my 28th birthday, thanks 4 that!
Edited by strupat on March 07 2012 04:58
http://ahlbornforum.comxa.com
Author RE: Move the frog to the Alpha
malmberg

Posted on March 07 2012 14:15
Both computers are DTE (Data Terminal Equipment) so you need a cross-over cable. Google for the OpenVMS FAQ for pin-outs.

Generally PUTTY is a good free terminal client.
strupat

Posted on March 07 2012 20:42
Thanks for your reply, the commuication between the computers already works with a terminal emulation software like putty, ivt or my latest favorite kermit95 in the trial version, but i would like to move the kermit file transfer software for openvms from the freeware cd01 (available on my windows computer) to the alphastation. i have downloaded the freeware cd on my windows computer, but the alphastation is not yet configurated for something like internet access. I am wondering, why the freeware cds for open vms are not available for download as an iso-image (they tell they are but there is no iso), so that you can burn them and use them directly with the alpha machine.

...well, DEC released the alpha255 on my 28th birthday, thanks 4 that!
http://ahlbornforum.comxa.com
malmberg

Posted on March 08 2012 02:47
The last time I looked, the freeware packages were available for individual downloads and as CD-ROMs.

As they are freeware, there are some mirrors of them set up.

The disk format is probably an ODS-2/Files-11 disk image, not an ISO. Many CD/DVD programs can burn disk images. A few of them incorrectly call disk images ISO images. But some CD-burner programs can only burn true ISO 9660 images, or will only burn the ISO 9660 portion of a disk image.

The TCPIP (UCX) license is available as part of the Hobbyist license paks, and Process.com makes hobbyist licenses available for both of their TCPIP programs.

This should make it easy to use networking to transfer files.

Once TCPIP is set up, you can also use CYGWIN NFS as a server, and VMS with TCPIP configured can mount this disks. (TCPIP 5.7 ECO 1-3 can not mount NFS disks)
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive