Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesFriday, April 26, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 2
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | Alpha Systems Forums | Alpha Software Forum
Author TCPIP$CONFIG, ADSL and Mozilla browser (CSWB)
m2-guy

Posted on March 21 2008 11:21
Hello,

Installed TCP/IP and CSWB from the hobbyist media kit V4, which worked fine.

Since I've read somewhere that PPP over Ethernet protocol is not supported by OpenVMS, the authentication with my internet provider must be done by the ADSL modem itself.

I used tcpip$config to set the IP of my Alpha workstation to 10.0.0.1 so that I could access the modem's web-interface which is at http://10.0.0.138/index.htm

The configuration worked fine with CSWB and I got an active connection with the DSL modem in PPPoA (over ATM) mode.

but sadly, the name resolution doesn't work:

With the Mozilla browser ( CSWB ) I get the error "www.anydomain.com could not be resolved" (after a while) or "access refused" (immediately). Guess I made an error in tcpip$config.com

maybe Bind shouldn't be configured in TCP/IP? (I did; took a random domain name for my host.)

The handicap for testing is that I only have a single DSL modem (SpeedTouch 510v5, fw5.2.7.19.0) for both PC and Alpha.

The PC uses the http://raspppoe.com/ driver where Ethernet network adapters appear as "modems". This driver does the authentication with the modem (which is by factory default in bridge mode; seems to be a speciality of my ISP, i.e.: Orange. I don't know in what mode raspppoe uses the modem.)

Once the connection parameters are configured with the DSL modem's web-interface via the Alpha, the modem's parameters remain persistent, i.e., they survive power off - with the result, that after connecting the modem back to the PC, it no longer connects. I must first restore the modem's factory default parameters and power off/on again.

So I guess, to share the modem, which should be possible, since it also functions as router, better connect both computers to one modem, do the authentication with the PC, and then access the internet on the Alpha. (The latter being my secondary system.) But without changing the PC/modem setup (raspppoe).

But the name resolution problem, which must be on the Alpha side, i.e. TCP/IP configuration, must be fixed first.

If anybody ran into the same or similar problem, I'd like to hear about your solutions. Any help is appreciated.

best regards
m2-guy
Author RE: TCPIP$CONFIG, ADSL and Mozilla browser (CSWB)
m2-guy

Posted on March 21 2008 23:55
Thank you for your reply. I've read the pages you mentioned.

What your answer implies is that I don't need Bind.

The DSL modem I mentioned above has router and firewall.
it also offers advanced setup for DHCP and NAT via web interface without host support.

since my Alpha system is mainly for software development, I'd need internet access only occassionally. So I'd like the simplest possible solution.

best would be to get a second DSL modem / router / firewall for the Alpha to play with in order to keep my PC internet connection alive.
Author RE: TCPIP$CONFIG, ADSL and Mozilla browser (CSWB)
m2-guy

Posted on April 02 2008 01:19
> Bridge? Really?

yes, the standard configuration if you use the ISP supplied CD which came with the modem is Bridge.

Here is a quote from
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/michel-m/STver53260.htm

"Utilisateurs Orange : les [SpeedTouch] livrés dans les packs sont "modifiés" selon la sauce Orange, ils sont configurés en mode bridge pour fonctionner avec les programmes du CD, ce qui revient à utiliser une Rolls pour tondre le gazon !!!"

the page recommends to use Router mode; it is not mandatory to use the CD they supplied. (I didn't use any software on the CD furnished by the ISP. As I said above, I use the raspppoe.com/ driver although I don't know what does. when I look via the modem's web interface (while connection is offline), the modem is in bridge mode.)

a demo of the modem's web interface is here:
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/michel-m/Speedtouch/Interfaceweb02/accueil.htm

but please don't loose any more time with this modem. I'll get another one to experiment with.
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive