Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesFriday, March 29, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 4
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | Alpha Systems Forums | Alpha Software Forum
Author Alpha OpenVMS Update V10 Install Hangs
GerryB

Posted on July 24 2009 06:48
Hello fellow VMS enthusiasts,

I've got a DEC Alpha Personal Workstation running OVMS 8.3 and has update 8 installed. I recently fired it up and checked for updates and noticed that updates 9 and 10 were available. I downloaded update 10 and it starts out fine but when the (text) bar graph gets to 20 percent, it hangs. No errors are generated. I tried it a couple of times to no avail. For the hell of it I downloaded update 9 and tried installing that first but that one hangs too but at 10 percent completion. I was at the console, in the system account, with all privs. Did I forget something? Am I having a brain fart or is it the system update?

Thanks for any help.

Gerry (had no update problems before on Alpha and none on I64 either)
Edited by GerryB on July 24 2009 15:06
Author RE: Alpha OpenVMS Update V10 Install Hangs
brad

Posted on July 25 2009 03:08
Not as much help as you would like, but...

I've installed UPDATE_9 and _10 without issue, so I'm wondering if there was a problem when you downloaded the updates.

How do you download them, and get them on your system? I use FTP to ftp.itrc.hp.com from my VMS systems, and make sure that I am using image (binary) transfer mode. I would imagine that if the file were transferred "incorrectly", that you would receive error messages while attempting to unpack them.

Forgive me if I'm asking very basic questions here, but I don't know much about your situation.
http://www.turquoisewitch.com/~bradh
GerryB

Posted on July 26 2009 02:25
Hi guys and thanks for your replies.

The downloads should be good as they were downloaded directly to the workstation, they unpacked fine, and there is over 100 million free blocks on the shadowed system disks. I will check all the other things that you guys mentioned and this one other thing that I remembered.

Since the last update that I did (which was version 8), I disconnected my external 4mm DAT drive and installed an internal 72GB DAT drive. I have had some problems with that drive once in a while. I don't think that that could be the problem but you never know. The first thing I will do on Monday is disconnect that drive and see what happens.

I'll let you know what happens...

Thanks again.

Gerry
GerryB

Posted on July 26 2009 11:39
Well, I said I'd let you know what happened, so here goes. Couldn't wait till Monday.

I disconnected the DAT drive, powered up and tried to install update 9. Same problem, hangs. Looked at logs, etc., to see what I've done recently. I discovered I had played with the time zone settings. That was not the problem, however. Looked at other things mentioned in the replies and quite a few more. Nothing! Well, I figured I'd shutdown and try Monday morning with a fresh mind. While shutting down, the system hung. I could move the cursor on the screen but nothing else. Tried other access methods to no avail. So, I hit the power switch. Powered back up a few seconds later and the system came back up like normal but I noticed that the shadow was being rebuilt. It was at 4%. Well, I thought to myself that I should be able to install an update while it's merging, so I tried update 9.

Bingo! Perfect. The merge was at 69%. I let it finish and rebooted the system. System came back up normal with a good shadow. Tried installing update 10. Bingo! No problem. Sounds like I had a problem with the shadowing software, maybe. There was a shadow patch in one of the updates, no? Oh, well, works fine now. If I have time, I'll look into it a little deeper but...

Any thoughts?

Thanks again for all your inputs.

Gerry
Edited by GerryB on July 26 2009 13:54
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive