Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesWednesday, March 27, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 7
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | Alpha Systems Forums | Alpha Hardware Forum
Author DS10 and BA356 (JBOD) hardware/cluster questions
anton

Posted on January 16 2013 16:52
Hi Everyone,

I'm just starting out and interested in setting up a two node cluster that shares resources and boot drive using only a couple of DS10's w/ SCSI controllers and a BA356 (JBOD). Here are my questions.

1. First is this even possible? I looked at one of the Golden Eggs docs for a DS15 and didn't see anything that would suggest it can't be done on a DS10. Also I plan on using one of the network interfaces for the interconnect.

2. Is there anything special/proprietary about the Y-SCSI adapters which are needed? This is the part I'm missing. The cable I'm talking about is "BN21W-0B".

3. With two SCSI initiating devices on same BUS is there anything special I need to do? Like settings in the SRM?

Thanks to all,

anton
Author RE: DS10 and BA356 (JBOD) hardware/cluster questions
reinhardtjh

Posted on January 17 2013 00:36
Hi Anton!

Welcome to the wonderful world of SCSI clustering. One thing that would help would be an inventory of the parts you do have - scsi adapters, BA356, cables. Pay particular attention to the model/part numbers. They can vary slightly and *do* make a difference.

If you don't have it, download the "StorageWorks UltraSCSI Configuration Guidelines" manual EK-ULTRA-CG.C01 You can find it on the web. It lists pertinent part numbers and in the back are diagrams of different configurations. I would assume you are setting up something like Config #4 on page 17. It looks like Config #3 on page 16 might also work for you but I've never done it that way.

To answer your specific questions:

1) Yes, it can be done. I've done it with Alphaserver 800's and 1200's. SCSI would be your storage interconnect and ethernet would be the cluster interconnect. Works fine although I'd recommend dedicating a NIC in each host and connecting them with a crossover ethernet cable. That way a switch/hub failure can't cause the cluster to freeze.

2) As far as I know, the BN21W-0B is just a Y connector. Nothing special. But you do need them... Unless you can get a H8861-AA HVD-Trilink connector which can do the same thing. I see them on ebay much cheaper than the BN21W. The problem is, they may not fit on the back of the DS10. They are not huge, but they are bulky.

3) Nothing special except that one SCSI HBA has to be set for address 7 and the other for Address 6. They also have to be differential and not single-ended HBA. This is what lets them drive the same bus and not step on each other. The address is set in the SRM.

This should get you started.

John H. Reinhardt
reinhardtjh

Posted on January 17 2013 00:46

BTW http://manx.classiccmp.org/ is a good source for DEC manuals.

John H. Reinhardt
anton

Posted on January 17 2013 07:00
Thanks John. Sometime back I yanked out what I believe is actually one of the Smartarray controllers. In addition to that there are 2 x SCSI HBA's install and an extra NIC card. I'll do an inventory tonight and return with a parts list. Thanks again.

- anton
anton

Posted on January 17 2013 16:54
Hi John,

I did an inventory and it looks like everything is unfortunately single-ended. The only one I'm not sure of is the RAID controller. I couldn't seem to find any specs on this thing, but I'm guessing its SE. Do you know?

Systems:
1 x Mylex Single Channel RAID Controller KZPAC-XD <- ????
2 x PCI Single Channel SCSI Controllers KZPBA-CX
1 x Dual 10/100 NIC 010312-000

Storage:
1 x BA356 shelf with a BA35X-FA personality module.

Cables:
2 x VHDCI SCSI cables 313374-003

Studying the document you referred me to looks like I may have some options, but not without parts. I'll have to check around. Until then I'll familiarize myself with volume shadowing and explore LAN clusters. Thanks again for your help.

- anton
Edited by anton on January 17 2013 17:00
abrsvc

Posted on January 18 2013 00:48
I used a DEGPA-SA card for the cluster interconnect in my DS10s. I left the SCSI for disk traffic only. If you get these from a reseller, you may be able to get a "test" cable for free which is a few meters long. Assuming that the units are close together, this works well.

Dan
reinhardtjh

Posted on January 18 2013 03:55
Anton,

You are correct about the RAID controller, it is single ended and not supported for cluster storage. You can use it to hang drives locally then MSCP serve them to other hosts in the cluster though so it's not a total loss.

If you still have the SmartArray card(s), they are a better choice. I'm assuming it's a 5300A or a 6400. There was a 3200 but I don't think it worked under VMS. The Mylex is quite old, slow and quirky - ie. no individual drives bigger than 9GB and a RAID set can't be bigger than either 32GB or 36GB (IIRC)

The 2 KZPBA-CX are the right SCSI HBA but if I remember correctly, you have to look on the board itself to see if it is the -CA single ended or the -CB differential version. I've only used the -CB version in clustering. But the UltraSCSI doc configuration #3 seems to say that if you have the BA35X-FB dual-port SE personality module you can connect one host to each side and share one shelf. That would limit you to 6 drives, but that's not too bad.

Otherwise you need the differential setup described in config #4.

John
Edited by reinhardtjh on January 18 2013 04:16
anton

Posted on January 18 2013 13:21
Thanks guys for your input... I definitely have a SE setup on my end so I will have to hold off on the shared storage idea for the time being. I'll hunt down the parts needed to convert my setup from SE to DIFF.

I have the array connected to one of my servers which will permit me to learn how to manage and use attached storage in OpenVMS. I'm sure I'll have more questions. smiley

Cheers,
- anton
Edited by anton on January 18 2013 13:21
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive