Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesFriday, March 29, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 4
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | Alpha Systems Forums | Alpha Hardware Forum
Author Is there a Hardware Compatibility List for OpenVMS / SRM BIOS?
tom9876543

Posted on August 04 2008 02:06
Hello

I am trying to work out what SCSI cards and Video cards work with SRM / OpenVMS (for DEC Workstation 433au). I have version 7.3-2 of OpenVMS.

I did find the "OpenVMS Software Product Description (SPD 25.10.68)"...... but it is next to useless.

One example is the list of "supported hard drives". It lists about 50 specific hard drives.... some of them with a small capacity like 121MB! That is useless information. What it should say is "OpenVMS works with any SCSI hard drive".

Then we go further on to "Controllers And Adapters". Again, this list is next to useless. If I wanted to ask the simple question "Does OpenVMS support an Adaptec 2940UW".... this doco does not give you the answer.

Another issue is the SRM BIOS. I could not find a HCL for it on the web. What SCSI cards can the SRM boot from?

Then there are video cards. The "Software Product Description" lists only 4 supported cards. But another thread on this forum says that an S3 TRIO64 works with OpenVMS. So clearly the SPD is incomplete.

Of course SRM works with any video card.

I understand the difference between "supported" and "compatible".... sure HP may only support specific cards.... but they should provide a list of all "compatible" PCI cards.

It would be really nice if there was a HCL for SCSI cards, clearly listing every card that SRM can boot from, as well as OpenVMS support. It should include the PCI IDs and min version info (eg SRM 7.1, OpenVMS 7.2).

It would be really nice if there was a HCL for Video cards, clearly listing every card that works with OpenVMS. Again, it should have the PCI IDs and min version info.

Maybe the HCL could be created on the openvmshobbyist web site?

Thank you for your help.
Author RE: Is there a Hardware Compatibility List for OpenVMS / SRM BIOS?
tom9876543

Posted on August 05 2008 20:40
Hello

Noone in their right mind would use an Alpha for commercial purposes... its legacy hardware. I am only playing around for fun.

I found information about SRM and SCSI at:

http://moon.hanya-n.org/comp/alpha/hct/scsi.html

Upgrading the SCSI card to LVD160 would help improve performance. The list above helps.

In regards to graphics I would like to dual boot Linux / OpenVMS. Currently my Alpha has a PowerStorm 4D20. This is one of the few cards that Linux does not support. So I willl upgrade. The ideal option appears to be a 3D Labs Oxygen VX1, or failing that an S3 TRIO 64.

The only problem is these cards are extremely rare. Good luck finding one on eBay.

When I went on eBay there was only a small number of PCI Video cards. As soons as I find a cheap one that works with Linux (eg ATI Rage or nVidia TNT2), I will buy it. Unfortunately, its probable that OpenVMS won't work, so I will end up deleting OpenVMS.

Thank you for the help with getting OpenVMS working.

Is it possible to contact the host of www.openvmshobbyist.com? I would be happy to setup the "Hardware Compatibility List" database, and associated web pages. Registered members could provide details of the hardware that has worked with SRM / OpenVMS.

Author RE: Is there a Hardware Compatibility List for OpenVMS / SRM BIOS?
imiller
Administrator

Posted on August 21 2008 04:40
See the contact us link on left

http://www.openvmshobbyist.org/contact.php
Edited by imiller on August 22 2008 02:54
http://www.encompasserve.org/~miller/
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive