Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesWednesday, April 17, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 1
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | Alpha Systems Forums | Alpha Hardware Forum
Author Personal Workstation 533au
GerryB

Posted on January 01 2009 07:26
Hello,

Recently, my workstation crashed. Looks like some memory error. When the unit powers up the on-board diagnostic LEDs indicate some type of address line problem. Have OpenVMS V8.3A running for some time with no problems and with 1.5GB of memory. In addition to this blessing or curse, the battery died. The unit came up in the other AlphaStation mode for NT and noticed that the memory test there stalled at some point in the test. I reconfigured (and reduced to 512MB ) the memory so that the self-test passes with no errors. When I switch to SRM the LEDs still indicate some address line problem, but OpenVMS seems to run OK. What could be causing this problem of address lines when the thing seem to work OK. What is the correct memory for this machine? PC-100 ECC UNbuffered?

Thank you and a Happy New Year to you all.

Gerry
smiley
Edited by GerryB on January 01 2009 07:30
Author RE: Personal Workstation 533au
brad

Posted on January 02 2009 14:42
GerryB wrote:
Hello,

Recently, my workstation crashed. Looks like some memory error. When the unit powers up the on-board diagnostic LEDs indicate some type of address line problem. Have OpenVMS V8.3A running for some time with no problems and with 1.5GB of memory. In addition to this blessing or curse, the battery died. The unit came up in the other AlphaStation mode for NT and noticed that the memory test there stalled at some point in the test. I reconfigured (and reduced to 512MB ) the memory so that the self-test passes with no errors. When I switch to SRM the LEDs still indicate some address line problem, but OpenVMS seems to run OK. What could be causing this problem of address lines when the thing seem to work OK. What is the correct memory for this machine? PC-100 ECC UNbuffered?
[...]

Hi Gerry,

Here's a copy of the service manual:

<http://rabbit.dnsalias.org/~bradh/miata/Service/>

Info about the battery and memory may be found there - the manual is silent about the type of memory, except that it must be ECC. Islandco.com sells PWS memory.

I have a PWS 433au, and even though it is quite underpowered, it's still a nice machine to work on, as are all the PWS. Good luck.
http://www.turquoisewitch.com/~bradh
GerryB

Posted on January 06 2009 13:41
Thanks for the info, however, I have that info already. I'm thinking that it doesn't like registered (buffered) memory. The diagnostic LEDs still report E4 even though it runs OK. If I add more memory, however, I get occasional freezes. Do you think a re-flash of the SRM would help or would I get some other (like a checksum) indication that something was wrong?

If I could just get OpenVMS V8.3-1H1 for Integrity (Itanium) I wouldn't have to worry so much about the Alpha.

Thanks again.

Gerry
brad

Posted on January 07 2009 15:05
After some searching, I found a reference which said that this memory is unregistered, and PC66.
I can't vouch for the accuracy of what I found, except that I came up with the information from a Google search for " SN-MSP01-HF". It seems to tally with your suspicions, so good luck. I'm thinking that this memory, if still available, is likely to be cheapest on eBay, and probably relatively expensive from any of the 3rd-party resellers.

I bought mine at the turn of the century from Crucial, but they (and others of their kind) no longer stock parts like this.
GerryB

Posted on January 24 2009 16:48
I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried putting 512MB sticks into a XXXau personal workstation? I've seen other systems that give a maximum memory stick size but sometimes accept a bigger stick. Anyone know if will work?

If you know, please let me know. Thanks.

Gerry
GerryB

Posted on February 07 2009 10:30
Today, I stuck two 256MB PC100 ECC UNBUFF sticks in the PWS 533. Works fine but I still get error "E4" in the LEDs. Works fine though. I was going to re-flash the SRM for the hell of it but I can't seem to find the firmware. Anyone have a link?

Thanks.

Gerry
brad

Posted on February 07 2009 15:46
GerryB wrote:
Today, I stuck two 256MB PC100 ECC UNBUFF sticks in the PWS 533. Works fine but I still get error "E4" in the LEDs. Works fine though. I was going to re-flash the SRM for the hell of it but I can't seem to find the firmware. Anyone have a link?

Thanks.

Gerry

Try this page:

<http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/firmware/readme.html>

You'll obviously have to supply the Workstation model, but you will be brought to a page that has the executable needed. Good luck!
GerryB

Posted on February 08 2009 15:20
Thanks for the link. System re-flashed. Error code E4 still prevails. It still runs OK but I guess I'll be on the lookout for a system board. Even better, I'd like a small tower DS20E dual CPU. And of course, my RX2600 would love to be running OpenVMS too.

Thanks again.

Gerry
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive