Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesThursday, April 25, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 9
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | VAX Systems Forums | VAX Software Forum
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Author RE: PC Shuts Down Itself SINCE running SIMH
vmsfreak01

Posted on June 26 2008 10:07
Another problem:
SIMH works fine on my laptop...But today, I did the same steps on my PC as well, and everything works OK....
But, whenever I exit out of the UAF or...just right now, I exited SIMH, and my PC just shuts down instantly...WHat device thats attached, can cause this strange behavour on my PC when SIMH runs....???

The laptop does not do it...
However, I installed Wincpap program on the laptop, but not under my PC....Can that be a problem??

Or...maybe its attaching to a device that can harm the PC...

Ok...how much CPU LOAD does SIMH comsume??? Maybe thats the issue that SIMH overlocks the CPU....I dont know, but this is strange..

The laptop works fine.

Thanks.
Author RE: Installing OpenVMS/VAX 7.3 on SIMH?
martinv2

Posted on June 26 2008 10:25
Strill does not work...
I put the following commands into a text file renamed it VMSBOOT.INI.

So your SIMH VAX emulator lives in a file called VMSBOOT.EXE?!

Or you call it like

C:\whatever> vax.exe -v vmsboot.ini

?

cu,
Martin

http://de.openvms.org/martinv/
vmsfreak01

Posted on June 26 2008 10:59
No.

Ok, the SIMH folder contains the VAX.EXE.
But, I created a notepad called VMSBOOT.TXT file and entered those commands what you posted above and then renamed it to VMSBOOT.INI. Then I inserted this INI file into the SIMH folder were the VAX.EXE is there too.

Is this correct? Please explain this. I would appreciate this. The manual does not seem to documenht this well.
Edited by vmsfreak01 on June 26 2008 11:02
martinv2

Posted on June 26 2008 16:24
Ok, the SIMH folder contains the VAX.EXE.
But, I created a notepad called VMSBOOT.TXT file and entered those commands what you posted above and then renamed it to VMSBOOT.INI. Then I inserted this INI file into the SIMH folder were the VAX.EXE is there too.

Is this correct? Please explain this. I would appreciate this. The manual does not seem to documenht this well.

It's not correct.

As has been explained (multiple times), the .INI file has to have the same name as the SIMH VAX emulator. So, if your emulator executable is named VAX.EXE, the INI file has to be named VAX.INI to be used as a default startup file.

cu,
Martin

vmsfreak01

Posted on June 26 2008 20:47
It works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks...

Now, my other issue on my desktop PC...Did you have the time to read that?

When I exit the emulator, my PC shuts down instantly...
Maybe the emulator eats too much CPU cycles or something and get overheated or overclocked...Who knows...

Can this be that the certain attached device is not compatible with the PC???

And on the PC, I did not install the Wincpap..

THIS DID NOT HAPPEN...It only started since I am running SIMH.

There are few possiblities here:

1. SIMH causes CPU to overheat..MAYBE...???
2. The attached device is NOT compatible with my PC??

I dont know...
Edited by vmsfreak01 on June 26 2008 20:55
vmsfreak01

Posted on June 26 2008 21:52
Hi -

Ok, when VAX.EXE was running...The CPU process really did spike up to 30 to 58 percent...

I though SIMH was really light on the CPU cycles...But I guess not. So I think thats the issue here.
Edited by vmsfreak01 on June 26 2008 21:52
martinv2

Posted on June 26 2008 22:26
It works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks...

You're welcome.

Now, my other issue on my desktop PC...Did you have the time to read that?

I did, but I can't imagine any way that SIMH could do that to a host OS, not even Windows...

When I exit the emulator, my PC shuts down instantly...
Maybe the emulator eats too much CPU cycles or something and get overheated or overclocked...Who knows...

I haven't seen anything like that with SIMH, and I have been running various versions of it for quite some time on a couple of (operating) systems. No idea, sorry.

And on the PC, I did not install the Wincpap..

There are two flavors of VAX.EXE on simh.trailing-edge.com - without and with ethernet support - which one are you running? You can tell by issuing the following command in SIMH:

sim> show version

This shows

VAX simulator V3.8-0 [64b data, 64b addresses, Ethernet support]

on my Win2k machine.

Winpcap is only used (and only need to be installed) if you downloaded and are using the VAX.EXE with Ethernet support.

Ok, when VAX.EXE was running...The CPU process really did spike up to 30 to 58 percent...

I though SIMH was really light on the CPU cycles...But I guess not. So I think thats the issue here.

Problem is that it's difficult for SIMH to tell when the VAX CPU is idle (and then idle itself). But trust me, it has become a lot better in recent versions.

cu,
Martin

Edited by martinv2 on June 26 2008 22:28
vmsfreak01

Posted on June 27 2008 00:09
Hi,

I have without Ehternet...
But, I have downloaded it just now..

WHich is better?? With or without Ethernet support?

In any case, I had burned both versions onto a CD...

Thx.
Edited by vmsfreak01 on June 27 2008 00:11
martinv2

Posted on June 27 2008 00:53
I have without Ehternet...

Then the culprit can't possibly winpcap.

Which is better?? With or without Ethernet support?

It depends on whether you want to use the network. SIMH, the VAX and VMS are perfectly happy without it.

To learn about (most parts of) VMS, you won't need networking.

cu,
Martin

vmsfreak01

Posted on June 27 2008 01:45
Thanks.

One more questiion if I may...This is just basices like setting up login accounts and this:

How can I create a legal banner that shows up on the LOGIN prompt beofre I login to VMS:

I want the message to be like this.

"This system is restricted to authorized users. Individuals attempting unauthorized access will be prosecuted."

And I did the following but did NOT appear when I attempt to log back in. I want this message to appear on user accounts and of course for SYSTEM.

Also, the VMS System Security Guide, DOES NOT document this at all in their PDF manual...I did a search also...What a bummer...

DEFINE/SYSTEM SYS$ANNOUNCE "This system is restricted to authorized users. Individuals attempting unauthorized access will be prosecuted."

I know this sounds STUPID for me to do without having to manage users....But, its good to know how to do it for practice....
Edited by vmsfreak01 on June 27 2008 01:48
martinv2

Posted on June 27 2008 02:06
How can I create a legal banner that shows up on the LOGIN prompt before I login to VMS:

I want the message to be like this.

"This system is restricted to authorized users. Individuals attempting unauthorized access will be prosecuted."

And I did the following but did NOT appear when I attempt to log back in. I want this message to appear on user accounts and of course for SYSTEM.

DEFINE/SYSTEM SYS$ANNOUNCE "This system is restricted to authorized users. Individuals attempting unauthorized access will be prosecuted."

Logical name definitions won't survive a reboot unless you put them in one of the customizable files that are executed during VMS startup. Best suited for the above DEFINE would be SYS$MANAGER:SYLOGICALS.COM , but historically it's in SYS$MANAGER:SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM.

Also, the VMS System Security Guide, DOES NOT document this at all in their PDF manual...I did a search also...What a bummer...

With VMS, the question is not whether something is documented, but rather where in the huge documentation set it is documented.

SYS$ANNOUNCE in itself doesn't have to do with system security, but rather with system administration, so it's documented in the System Manager's Manual.

cu,
Martin

vmsfreak01

Posted on June 27 2008 03:00
Hi,

I did the following commands but with no luck. It doesnt work after a reboot. It still says Welcome to OpenVMS OS.

Ok, it did it...But how come it WILL NOT save it for the next REBOOT?

$ logout
SYSTEM logged out at 27-JUN-2008 15:23:17.35

This system is restricted to authorized users. Individuals attempting unauthoriz
ed access will be prosecuted.

Username:

REPLY/ALL/BELL "This system is restricted to authorized users. Individuals attempting unauthorized access will be prosecuted."

Can you please assist I would appreciate it.
Edited by vmsfreak01 on June 27 2008 03:23
martinv2

Posted on June 27 2008 05:02
I did the following commands but with no luck. It doesnt work after a reboot. It still says Welcome to OpenVMS OS.

Ok, it did it...But how come it WILL NOT save it for the next REBOOT?

What thought in the sentence
Logical name definitions won't survive a reboot unless you put them in one of the customizable files that are executed during VMS startup

exactly didn't you understand?

$ logout
SYSTEM logged out at 27-JUN-2008 15:23:17.35

This system is restricted to authorized users. Individuals attempting unauthoriz
ed access will be prosecuted.

Username:

There is your SYS$ANNOUNCE. And if you put the DEFINE/SYSTEM... in a file that gets executed at system startup, it will be there after a reboot. That's how things in VMS work: you start with some system defaults, and put all your customizations in files, using a text editor.

Now would be a good time to read the chapters in the VMS User's Manual that deal with the VMS text editors EVE and EDT, though getting accustomed with one of them will probably suffice. I'd suggest EVE, but that's personal preference.

REPLY/ALL/BELL "This system is restricted to authorized users. Individuals attempting unauthorized access will be prosecuted."

The REPLY command posts a one-shot message to one or more logged-in users.

If you put that line in SYS$MANAGER:SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM, it will still be there after the next reboot.

Please read the manuals suggested, and don't only copy-and-paste commands (sorry to sound harsh, but that's my impression from this discussion).

cu,
Martin

vmsfreak01

Posted on June 27 2008 05:35
Ok, lets try this again.

I did:

$ @SYS$MANAGER:SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM

The OpenVMS VAX system is now executing the site-specific startup commands.

%DCL-I-SUPERSEDE, previous value of SYS$SYLOGIN has been superseded
%DCL-I-SUPERSEDE, previous value of SYS$ANNOUNCE has been superseded
$ DEFINE/SYSTEM SYS$ANNOUNCE "This system is restricted to authorized users. In
dividuals attempting unauthorized access will be pros
ecuted."
$
$
$

After REBOOT:

Welcome to OpenVMS (TM) VAX Operating System, Version V7.3

Username:

I did EXACTLY WHAT THE Manual says:

$ @SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM

The OpenVMS VAX system is now executing the site-specific startup commands.

%DCL-I-SUPERSEDE, previous value of SYS$SYLOGIN has been superseded
$ DEFINE/SYSTEM SYS$ANNOUNCE "SIRIUS OPENVMS CLUSTER AT ANDROMEDA, INC."
$

I dont understand. Sorry.

And BTW - The manual DOES NOT mention using text editors. The command above I got it straight from sample shown in there. I dont see any mentions of using a text editor in Section under Defining SYS$ANNOUNCE Please have a look at the manual.
Edited by vmsfreak01 on June 27 2008 05:53
vmsfreak01

Posted on June 27 2008 07:35
Hi to all,

Thanks alot for all your support.
I know its tough for me since I came from the Windows enviroment.

Yes, I want to learn VMS and should take alot of time before mastering it.

I am sorry for being a pest on here and I can understand that I need to learn this on my own instead of being spoon fed out here.

Thanks.
valdirfranco

Posted on September 12 2008 18:16
forget about it. I put a new thread.
Edited by valdirfranco on September 12 2008 18:35
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive