Posts: 21 Location: Los Angeles, CA Joined: 08.01.08
Posted on February 01 2013 20:26
Free to a good home, preferably via "local pickup" in the Los Angeles area. See below for description. This machine was in use full-time from 1992 (purchased new) until taken off-line in 2008, and has NOT seen much use at all in the 4.5-years since. I'm overdue in passing it on to someone who would derive some enjoyment from actually using it ....
* DEC VAXstation 4000 / model 60 / OpenVMS workstation (VS46K-AD)
* 104-Mb RAM (8Mb on motherboard, 16+16Mb in slots 0+1, 16+16Mb in slots 2+3, and 16+16Mb in slots 4+5 )
* SYS$SYSDEVICE internal SCSI disk (DKA300) ... large enough for OpenVMS and plenty of user files, but I don't now recall the exact disk capacity;
* 2nd internal SCSI "data" disk (DKA100), several Gb in size (I think), which will be emptied prior to pickup. (EDIT -- No, not internal ... these were "full height" external drives ... best used today as door stops, I suppose ...)
* Boots OpenVMS VAX v7.2 from DKA300
* Includes VSxxx-GA mouse and LK401-AA US/UK keyboard
* For graphics, the internal video board supports TWO MONITORS (dual head), up to (I think) 1280x1024 x 256-colors. Original video cables included (custom connections at VAXstation end that fan-out to five BNC jacks at monitor end -- R,G,B,H,V ... sync on green).
* One 17-inch and one 19-inch Digital Equipment CRT monitor also (made by Sony Corp for DEC), for anyone interested in a true original "vintage" configuration. Local pickup in Los Angeles, CA, USA is a MUST as the monitors are both >heavy<. Note these old monitors are "fixed frequency" and won't work with just any PC video board, but when I last used them in 2004, both still worked okay with the VAXstation. But no guarantee now after 8-years without being used.
* Alternatively, assuming I can find them, I will provide instead two 5-BNC-to-VGA (HD15) adaptors that attach to the five coax connectors at the monitor ends of the cables, and allow connecting to PC standard LCD or CRT "multi-sync" video monitors. Multi-sync monitors generally have no problem adjusting to the VAXstation's fixed frequency video output ... just as long as your monitor(s) support "sync on green" (which almost all multisync should), but check first if in doubt. (EDIT -- Found the BNC-to-VGA connectors, but the VAXstation cable only has R,G,B coax .. the VGA adaptor can accept these as well as Vsync and Hsync, so the adaptor has five BNCs, but the reason a monitor able to "sync on green" is needed is because the VAXstation does not furnish separate Vsync and Hsync output signals).
* Hobbyist licenses for the VAXstation machine were last issued in 2007, so have been expired since 2008 ...
* Besides OpenVMS, most programming languages are pre-installed on the system disk (VAX Fortran, C, Pascal, and MACRO to name several I'm sure about). For networking, TGV (now Process Software) MultiNet is installed, but its Hobbyist License will also need to be renewed.
*** Contact me via e-mail if you are interested in this system (don't assume I'll check this forum very often here). Preference will be given to (a) folks able to arrange for local pickup, but I am prepared to ship the VAXstation, keyboard, and mouse at the recipient's expense; (b) hobbyists with sincere interest in computer programming under OpenVMS; and (c) students or educators.
I'll post a follow-up reply here myself to announce the machine is no longer available.
Thanks everyone for being part of the OpenVMS hobbyist community, and for reading this post -- tell your friends !
malmberg June 26 2018 https://www.openvmshobbyi st.com/forum/viewthread.p hp?forum_id=10&thread_id= 2363
bhamakripa June 24 2018 I am trying OpenVMS via SIMH. Need to get OS binaries for v7.3. Registered here but don't have any membership number yet which is needed to get license. Pls suggest what to do. I hardly know anyth
basilh June 05 2018 Any other forum members in Perth, Australia?
malmberg March 24 2018 Probably. More people hang out on the comp.os.vms newsgroup.
vaxpert March 23 2018 I have a PE42A and other Alpha system stuff for sale. I'm in So California. Any interest out there?
goodbyespy February 27 2018 To Prohorenko. Please, visit group OpenVMS in the ok.ru
peteherrera February 24 2018 How much does it cost to buy a complete OpenVMS hardcopy documentation set of the latest version
prohorenko February 17 2018 Please help to obtain the license on OpenVMS
malmberg December 12 2017 HPE only makes the most current version of OpenVMS Alpha / IA64 /VAX available to hobbyists. When I had access to the Alliance 1 program it was the same. No public downloads are allowed by HPE.
nmbonao December 08 2017 Is anybody knows OpenVMS 8.2 version downloadable version? or CD copy? Thank you very much
aarommes December 02 2017 Bitcoin and Blockchain enthusiasts ( plus distributed computing ) please connec / reply: http://www.openvmshobbyis t.com/forum/viewthread.ph p?forum_id=130&thread_id= 2991
malmberg September 10 2017 https://sourceforge.net/p /vms-ports/wiki/VMSInstal lation/ For the most part just use VMS 6.1 media instead of 7.3. But why run the older release?
DoeveR August 07 2017 Where can I find the write up on running VMS 6.1 using the simh emulator?
Bart March 20 2017 Happy to have found my password again!