Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesThursday, April 18, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 5
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | Hobbyist Licensing | VAX License PAK's
Author What to do with individual licence
Box_the_Jack_in

Posted on April 19 2017 14:37
Hi All, I've received the Hobby Licence for OpenVMS 7.3 of which the file is named 'Hobbyist-USE-ONLY-VA.txt'. Can anyone tell me please what I do with this file on the VAX after I've copied it to a CD.
Thanks smiley
Author RE: What to do with individual licence
malmberg

Posted on April 19 2017 17:27
https://sourceforge.net/p/vms-ports/wiki/VMSInstallation/

The license key file is typically not in the right format to be run as a command file by DCL with out editing to remove the extra <cr><lf> that end up being in it when you extract it from an e-mail.

So what I typically do on install is to just type in the license keys for VMS, DECNET, and UCX (TCP/IP), just enough to get VMS and networking going. DECNET is very usable for when you add your second VMS system.

Then you can FTP the license key file as a text file, and FTP can translate the line endings.

Then you just @hobbyist-use-only-va.txt to install the licenses.
Box_the_Jack_in

Posted on April 20 2017 13:17
Hi malmberg, The thing is I've already installed the OS leaving the licence until after. Is there a way I can take the licence copied on to the VAX HD and edit out the Carriage Return and Line Feed on the VAX? Or perhaps I can do the same as you which is now after, and type all the licence in? Thank you though for the good advice of doing it at install. I'm using Linux as my everyday computer, does this also insert a CR and LF?
Thanks smiley
Box_the_Jack_in

Posted on April 20 2017 13:26
Hi, Just looking I see yes that it's a script that installs it. Without looking I thought it might just be a number. Any advice would be good please!
malmberg

Posted on April 20 2017 15:00
Just cut and paste the sections of the scripts with minimum license keys needed for VMS and the networking in your terminal emulator.

If using a real terminal, type them in.

Once you get the network up, ftp is your friend.
Box_the_Jack_in

Posted on April 21 2017 09:43
Hi, I've got the licence file on CD-Rom as I'm going to attempt to launch it with @hobbyist-use-only-va.txt. My
CD-Rom drive is DKA500. Could I have the full command please to copy the file 'hobbyist-use-only-va.txt' from CD to what I assume is SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSMGR], or perhaps I should copy to SYS$SYSCOMMON:[SYSMGR] ?
smiley
Edited by Box_the_Jack_in on April 21 2017 09:44
malmberg

Posted on April 21 2017 13:17
It depends on where you put it on DKA500, and you do not need to copy it anywhere. VMS can run it off the CD-ROM if it is in the right format.

@DISK:[directory]hobbyist-use-only-va.txt

Most likely: @dka500:[000000]hobbyist-use-only-va.txt

The file as delivered has CR/LF delimiters and if you did not remove the CR delimiters from the file before you put in on the CD-ROM, then it simply is not going to work. Otherwise it will simply work.

Not enough time for me to describe how to remove the CR characters using an unknown console on an unknown system, so again, simplest way is to do what I posted before.

There are a lot of Wiki articles at https://sourceforge.net/p/vms-ports/wiki/Home/ that can help you avoid some pitfalls that are common to new comers to VMS.

HELP

HELP SPECIFY

HELP COPY
Author RE: Thanks
Box_the_Jack_in

Posted on April 24 2017 11:06
Thanks malmberg, I'll get to the bottom of it, :-) or top of it !
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive