Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesTuesday, April 16, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 3
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | OpenVMS Hobbyist Media Kits | OpenVMS VAX Media Kits
Author openvms73 file corrupted
billc

Posted on September 15 2016 09:15
Somehow my copy of my openvms73.iso became corrupt. Bunzip2 said there was a problem and I tried to recover and it didn't work. So I need to get a new copy of the file. My license PAK runs out in November too. DO I need to go to Hoff's site with my registration number to get HP to let me download a new copy?
Author RE: openvms73 file corrupted
malmberg

Posted on September 19 2016 11:01
Request new License PAKs from the web form, I think the current one on one of the other threads.

In that will be an e-mail address to request information about downloading kits. It is a new address from the older one, so I do not know what it is.

While Hoff's site has a lot of useful information for hobbyists and professionals, it has nothing official to do with the Hobbyist Program that I know of.
malmberg

Posted on September 19 2016 11:12
What makes you think your openvms73.iso is corrupt?

The OpenVMS73.iso and most other downloaded VMS alleged ISO files are not really ISO files and trying to analyze them as ISO files will fail.

These files are disk images for the Native VMS format, except for the IA64 boot install disk.

These need to be burned as a disk image.

bunzip2 should not have any idea of what a VMS native file image, and I would be surprised if bunzip2 would produce anything useful from a real ISO 9660 disk image. As far as I know, ISO-9660 predates the bzip2 compression.

The IA64 boot install disk is a dual format Native VMS / ISO-9660 El-torito disk format. And a utility to copy the IA64 disk will totally miss copying the native VMS portion of the disk image, which will result in a useless disk.

billc

Posted on September 20 2016 10:30
bzunip2 has always unzipped this file. .iso or not. I understand it's not ISO 9660. That's for simh compatibility. Not this time though and it said run recovery. So I did and as things were being checked an error was reported. all the recovery files were combined into a file again and the same thing. Why would it all the sudden not want to bunzip the file that was bzipp'd?
malmberg

Posted on September 21 2016 14:40
Usually HP uses ZIP/UNZIP not bzip2 for the files they transfer.

I do not remember if I posted a screenshot of the FTP directory, or what the file types are.

I am quite sure that I have never used bunzip on a VMS distribution, so have no idea how well that works.

SimH/VAX uses disk images and does not care if the image is ISO format or named .iso.

The files are have the .ISO extension primarily either because some ancient CD-Burner software wanted disk images named that way even if they were not ISO format, or someone made an error and assumed all CD-ROM images should be named .iso.

wizdude

Posted on September 27 2016 11:12
billc wrote:
Somehow my copy of my openvms73.iso became corrupt.

in case it helps, i did a checksum on my OpenVMS VAX 073.iso and the results were:

MD5SUM: 6D665D72B2D5A0B811B5854EB3204C89
SHA1SUM: 3D89D5DDD29FF4B55827812CA38D58057854D0F7

perhaps that might help you confirm if the file you have is in fact corrupt or intact.

I'm not sure how the file was originally distributed to you, but I can confirm that this .ISO cannot be unpacked with bunzip2 or unzip.

cheers, wizdude.
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive