Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesFriday, April 26, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 4
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | Integrity Systems Forums | Integrity Hardware Forum
Author rx2660 OFS Config
ntba

Posted on June 06 2016 04:05
I am looking to get myself an rx2660 in the very near future. I was wondering if anyone here has found any information on how to do the "OFS" conversion to make it quieter?

I found a video of it running and it is much louder than (from what I can tell) the same generation DL380 G7. It will be going in my rack anyway so I'm not too concerned about the noise but would love to get it quieter.

I found this site saying there is a bug in the BMC firmware that causes the fans to ramp up at 100%
http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02545769

and I have found the corresponding BMC update that might keep it quiet, but if there is a way to get it quieter, that would be awesome.

I have read on the hoffman labs site that it is a build time option, but I'm sure at least a firmware update or config can be done and I'm hoping someone has some information, maybe someone with a current rx2660 with the OFS config could somehow grab their firmware or check to see if there are any differences over the regular firmware

Thanks!
Author RE: rx2660 OFS Config
reinhardtjh

Posted on June 09 2016 06:41
I have an RX2660 also in my rack and while it's noisy, I found I can cut the high-pitched whine down to a manageable level hanging a stiff piece of paper (such as a file folder) over the front vent. Don't block it, but let it hang several inches out. it deflects the sound wave down and away from most hearing. Watching the internal temps it doesn't affect things too badly. I have a single processor 1.42GHz system with 8GB of memory and 8x72GB drives.

If you ever hear about a home OFS conversion, let me know. I saw a OFS RX2660 on Ebay arecently but they wanted $3500 for it. I have never seen an OFS conversion available separately like there was for the RX2600/ZX6000.

ntba

Posted on June 09 2016 07:09
Yeah I've been doing a lot of research on this before I get one. I know the one you are talking about exactly and I can only wish I could get it, but it is obviously out of price range.

When I got my license renewed recently I asked the person who sent me the license if they knew anything about this and the only official thing he could direct me to is the HP Renew program which sells its own refurbished servers, unfortunately my emails have gone unanswered.

I do realize that it is a build to order option for this model, but I knew it would have been a longshot Not too many people use these machines and the chances of someone actually finding out what the "special" firmware passwords and tweaks to change it to this mode are slim to none smiley

My DS10L just had a failure and I'm looking to replace it with another one, something similar or an Itanium, and I really want a 2660 smiley
Edited by ntba on June 09 2016 08:17
fhsjvl

Posted on June 08 2017 00:28
AFAIK there is no rx2660 OFS conversion kit and OFS is a build time option indeed.

The RM (rack mount) rx2660 and the rx2660 OFS have different hardware. The RM has 12 single fans while the OFS has 6 dual fans. Because of this the OFS has a different Fan/Display Board (fan connectors are in a different position). The part number of the RM Fan/Display Board is AB419-60004. The part number of the OFS Fan/Display Board is AB419-60011.

For the rx2660 OFS the BMC firmware version must be at least 5.06. On top of that another piece of firmware called "HFC FW" must be installed. This piece can be found in some rx2660 firmware packages, but not all.

I do not know if the FW is able to detect the HW configuration of the rx2660 in order to treat it as RM or OFS. On an rx2800 i2 or i4 one has to change the "Product ID" in SYSSET to select the RM version or the OFS version (only HPE can provide you with the necessary password to do so). I do not know if this applies to the rx2660 as well.
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive