Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesFriday, April 19, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 1
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | Alpha Systems Forums | Emulated Alpha Forum
Author Stromasys PersonalAlphaPlus - New
johncookson

Posted on November 25 2011 02:21
Stromasys have a new Alpha emulator available although details remain sketchy at the moment. It seems that a 64bit host operating system may be required to run it (Something I don't currently have).

What I have heard so far about the new version is as follows :-

It is based on a DS10 and offers twice the performance of the older PersonalAlpha emulator.

The new emulator can be used for both personal and commercial use without any restrictions.

It supports 1 Gigabyte of emulated memory and 3 disk drives (type and capacity unknown).

It has no embedded expiration date.

This all sounds pretty exciting for hobbyists. I have been using the older product for some time now and it is superb. If anyone else is already using this new product, I would be interested in hearing their thoughts on it.

JohnC
Author RE: Stromasys PersonalAlphaPlus - New
R Price

Posted on December 05 2011 15:35
I just tried it on Win7 x64. Having to enter my admin password to install the software is normal and expected. Having to enter my admin password to run the installed application is abnormal and unexpected. I hit cancel and promptly un-installed this software.
malmberg

Posted on December 06 2011 02:05
On Windows Vista and later, in order to run software that requires privileges, either a password must be entered, or the shortcut has to be set up in a special table.

It appears to me that the way that Microsoft wants privileged applications to be written as services that run under a dedicated non-interactive account, and that then communicate with a GUI or command line utility.

FreeAXP has the same issue.
cdandes

Posted on December 06 2011 03:12
win7 64 did not ask me any password. That's probably because I disabled this nagging "security feature"

Running the VUPS benchmark which I found on this forum I had more than twice performance than on win32 (score 50 compared to 22).
R Price

Posted on December 06 2011 04:44
I deliberately run Windows with non-default security settings. I run with a Limited User Account and have set User Account Control to the highest setting, which requires administrator authentication to execute anything which requires privileges beyond those of a Limited User. After almost 20 years using *NIX systems, this is, to me, just the way a computer is supposed to work.

As for the specific case of Stromasys PersonalAlphaPlus, I am simply not willing to grant admin privileges to an app I feel should not require such. I understand the software was written in such a way as to need admin access. I simply feel this is inappropriate and choose not to run apps designed this way. Before Vista there would have been no choice but Microsoft has made real improvements in security to eliminate the need for everything to run with admin privileges and I refuse to use software written to work the old way, the wrong way, the way things were with XP and earlier. It took a while for AV software developers to come to terms with the new reality but eventually they did. When or if Stromasys updates their software to post-XP standards I will gladly try it again.
ch_123

Posted on April 08 2012 15:24
I'm pretty sure the admin requirements are due to the need to get direct access to the ethernet hardware. SIMH under *nix needs root for the same reason.
R Price

Posted on April 15 2012 09:56
I'm sure it is something like that.

However, I tried FreeAXP a while back and I don't recall it needing admin access just to launch the application; to install it, yes, of course, but not just to run it once installed.

Maybe I'm recalling wrong but I do remember I booted my OpenVMS installer CD in FreeAXP and I cannot imagine I would have gone that far unless things met my basic requirements. Or maybe if I'd finished installing OpenVMS and tried to configure the network I would have found FreeAXP needs admin access, I don't know.
malmberg

Posted on April 16 2012 03:07
FreeAXP definitely needs Admin access to run on Windows 7 for me.
R Price

Posted on April 16 2012 07:27
I could be mis-remembering. It has been a while since I tried FreeAXP, maybe a year.

Whatever, I'm still not comfortable running stuff that requires admin access when I feel it should not be necessary. VirtualBox runs from a non-admin account and I see no reason why FreeAXP or Personal Alpha should be any different.
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive