Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesFriday, March 29, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 5
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | Alpha Systems Forums | Emulated Alpha Forum
Author setting up dec net and dec windows
sureshot

Posted on October 22 2015 07:24
Hello

I hope i am not becoming a pest but i have another question i think will not answer its self like my others have done. I need a noobs primer on setting up dec net and windows motif. I need it very simple and explained very well. I have struggled on all of this but i am getting it done. So if someone can help me i will give you my email address if needed. when this is done I will be done with 95 percent of my project. I will then set up a 2 node cluster and then setup vms vax and pdp11 I really want to learn this stuff. Thanks in advance and sorry for being wordy.

Sureshot
Phil
prk62
Author RE: setting up dec net and dec windows
malmberg

Posted on October 25 2015 16:45
For general installation, most people reference:

http://www.wherry.com/gadgets/retrocomputing/vax-simh.html

I would also look at the WIKI pages at the sourceforge VMS-PORTS project.

But for Decnet, when you do the VMS install, you need to select Decnet Phase IV. Decnet-Plus is for experts only. If you did not, you can boot the CD and do a reconfigure of VMS to install it.

For DECWindows, for Alpha or Itanium, if you do not have a supported graphics adapter on at least one system, you will want to select the option for Workstation Support and include both the 100 dpi fonts and the 75 DPI fonts. I do not know the current defaults, but 75 dpi fonts are for the lower resolution displays.

You will need the fonts installed to serve them to the X-11 display that you will use.

VAX/VMS can not serve fonts over TCP/IP in a way that most x-11 displays can use them, so you will likely want to have at least one free Alpha emulator in your collection.

I always recommend installing DECNET, even for a single node as there are special things you can do with decnet objects.

The main thing with DECNET Phase IV, is that the SCSSYSTEMID needs to be derived from the DECNET AREA and the DECNET NODE.

In a cluster, SCSSYSTEMID must be (1024 * area) + node. Recommend area 1, and node number 1 for your first node. This will cause SCSSYSTEMID 1025 for it.

You also have to chose to install DECWindows-Motif and install the Hobby license for it. You may get that option during the install.

In the VMS installation guide there should be the procedure for setting up decnet by running a command procedure that I think is named netconfig.

The VMS installation guide is actually the best reference for starters. I would recommend that you write up your learning experiences like Phill Wherry did.

On the DECWindows-Motif, on the system serving the fonts you need to look up how to start the font server, and then learn how to set up your X-11 display to connect to it.

I am sorry that I do not have time right now to come up with more detailed documentation.

But the worst that could happen is that you may have to practice some installs.
Author RE: setting up dec net and dec windows
sureshot

Posted on October 27 2015 07:45
Thanks for your reply i have dnet install but i keep getting an error something that says servers=0 or something i am not in front of that computer. I will be going to a 2 node cluster but they are both emulated. and doing installs is not a problem LOL i have installed this several times to just get things correct and the computer i am going to run it on is not up and running yet so there is another install LOL I will do the reading you suggested

Phil
sureshot
prk62
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive