Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesFriday, April 26, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 7
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | VAX Systems Forums | Emulated VAX Forum
Author simH config for OpenVMS 6.2 on windows 10 host
njmorto

Posted on October 28 2016 11:18
Hey guys,

Brand new here, learning all I can about OpenVMS. I'm trying to emulate a 6.2 vax system using simH. I've gotten the OS up and running (YAY!) but having a few issues and was hoping someone could help.

1. I'm getting garbage characters, especially when editing files (to the point I can't edit them). In my experience with an actual vms system/console this had to do with baud rate, is it the same here? how would I set that?

2. I'm trying to move some data over to the emulated machine, but can't seem to figure out how to get simh (and later VMS) my usb drive, I did it with the CDROM using raw access but can't figure out using usb.

If someone could help, or point me in the right direction for more documentation on simh (everything I know is from here or other hits on the internet) that would be great!

Thanks

Nathan
Author RE: simH config for OpenVMS 6.2 on windows 10 host
malmberg

Posted on October 28 2016 13:22
OpenVMS 6.2 is pretty ancient. The last version of OpenVMS/VAX is 7.3.

If the console is dropping characters, then the emulator is not running fast enough to keep up.

The actual hardware that for a console port is very primitive and the most real VAX systems will not handle input data rates greater than 1200 baud on the console port with out bad things happening, the least of which is characters dropping.

But for emulated hardware, the baud rate does usually does not apply. The system just spits out characters as fast as it can and tries to read it as fast as it can.

Generally I configure SimH on a Linux host, most recently in a Linux container under Ubuntu 14.04, and then after getting network configured, I use telnet for access.

You need to set up a bridging (tap) device to share a network interface. I prefer to do this under Linux.

https://sourceforge.net/p/vms-ports/wiki/SimH-VAX%20in%20a%20Container/

I have heard reports that Ubuntu 14.04 can be run under Windows 10. An LXC container should have minimal overhead as it is not a VM.

You can create a large file on the USB stick and SimH will use that file as a container for a disk image just like as on a hard disk.

Bruce Claremont

Posted on October 29 2016 01:23
Per Malmberg's comments, the console is limited in its capabilities. Set up a serial port or enable UCX and use TCP/IP for access to the system.

; Set up 8 serial ports
;
set vh enable
attach vh 10000

VMS does not understand USB. You will need to use DECnet or TCP/IP to transfer data to your system. In your case TCP and FTP would be the best choice. install UCX and set up TCP/IP using the UCX$CONFIG.COM procedure.

FYI: I am not sure if the WinPCAP driver used by SIMH is supported under Windows 10.
njmorto

Posted on October 31 2016 05:59
I wouldn't say the console is dropping characters, more like adding extra characters. Example, if I go into help and get help about a topic after the topic name where there is usually a blank line I'll get extra characters.

This happens worst when I try to edit things.

I'll see about getting UCX installed or enabled and using TCP/IP to get things going. I've never installed these older systems from scratch so it's definitely a learning process.

edit: When using the "edit" command when I type I'll get garbage characters until I hit the spacebar, then I'll get good characters. would this be an escape sequence issue?
Edited by njmorto on October 31 2016 06:10
abrsvc

Posted on October 31 2016 08:38
Enter a SHOW TERM and post the results. There seems to be a disconnect somewhere as far as the terminal support goes. Make sure that the terminal is actually set up as a screen device and not a hardcopy (like an LA120 vs. VTxxx).

Dan
njmorto

Posted on October 31 2016 10:11
$ show term
Terminal: _OPA0: Device_Type: LA36 Owner: SYSTEM

Input: 300 LFfill: 0 Width: 132 Parity: None
Output: 300 CRfill: 0 Page: 24

Terminal Characteristics:
Interactive Echo Type_ahead No Escape
No Hostsync TTsync Lowercase No Tab
Wrap Hardcopy No Remote No Eightbit
Broadcast No Readsync No Form Fulldup
No Modem No Local_echo No Autobaud No Hangup
No Brdcstmbx No DMA No Altypeahd Set_speed
No Commsync Line Editing Overstrike editing No Fallback
No Dialup No Secure server No Disconnect No Pasthru
No Syspassword No SIXEL Graphics No Soft Characters No Printer Port
Numeric Keypad No ANSI_CRT No Regis No Block_mode
No Advanced_video No Edit_mode No DEC_CRT No DEC_CRT2
No DEC_CRT3 No DEC_CRT4 No DEC_CRT5 No Ansi_Color
VMS Style Input

I have been doing a set term/device_type=vt200 after login
Bruce Claremont

Posted on November 02 2016 03:54
Coming up as a line printer is definitely an issue. Search your startup procedures for OPA0 and see if a SET TERM is being issued against it. If so, change it. If not, add it.

$ SEARCH SYS$STARTUP:*.COM OPA0

What terminal emulator are you using? The PuTTY settings in Section 15.12 of the FreeAXP User Guide would be applicable to a SimH VAX system:

http://www.migrationspecialties.com/pdf/VirtualAlpha_UserGuide.pdf
njmorto

Posted on November 02 2016 05:55
I'm not actually getting to the point of using a regular terminal emulator at this point.

Steps I'm taking right now.

1. Open VAX.exe
2. Boot CPU
3. Boot OpenVMS 6.2
4. Login to the system account

Once I get logged in I do see the following message

%SET-W-NOTSET, error modifying OPA0:
-SET-I-UNKTERM, unknown terminal type
njmorto

Posted on November 02 2016 10:06
Got it going, was looking through the documentation and realized I could open up a port for telnet, I'm happily telnetted in using putty and everything seems to be looking great!

Thanks again for all your help!

I was previously just using the "controlling window"
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive