Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesSunday, May 19, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 5
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | Alpha Systems Forums | FreeAXP
Author Windows 7 - 64 bit Loopback connector
Hein

Posted on May 22 2011 07:12
One of the laptops I work on has no NIC (can add USB - NIC if needed), just Wifi. During the FreeAxp config, no network choice is offered up.
So on the laptop I added the loopback connector device, configured for 192.168.10.15/24, no GW, no DNS. That shows as (the only) selection as Nic for FreeAxp.
Configured TCPIP on freeaxp for 192.168.10.72/24, but no connection.
No ping, no ftp, no telnet. They can each see themself fine.

Tried on a 7-pro, and 7-home-premium both 64 bit.
Used the Microsoft provided loopback adapter.
Tried with and without pseudo MAC addres.
Try an other one? (TAP?)

A much similar config on my 32-bit XP-SP2 works fine.
Under XP the loopback connector has a 'Medium' configuration choice with I had set to Ethernet, but that choice is not volunteered under V7.
The TAP alternative for XP has an 'always connected' configuration, but the MS-loopback does not and it connects fine anyway.

I've cycles NET STOP/START MSIPCAP, and tried running FreeAxp normally and as Administrator.

Any hints?

Totaly different question... is there anything useful to do with TPS_TIMER? It indicates to be @ 1ms. Can I set it to 10ms? How?
The reason I ask is because I'd like FreeAxp to use even less CPU when idle, as riht now it is right at the fan-kick-in threshhold and I'd like to stay under that. Any knobs to turn for that?

Hein

Hein van den Heuvel
HvdH Performance Consulting
firstnamelastname.gmail.com
Author RE: Windows 7 - 64 bit Loopback connector
Bruce Claremont

Posted on May 23 2011 06:42
You running the idle loop in your configuration?
Hein

Posted on May 26 2011 03:56
>> You running the idle loop in your configuration?

Yes. Otherwise it eats a full CPU right away, as to be expecgted.
It is not using much, periods of 1/2 cpu, Average less than 10%, but just enough of a tickle to exite the CPUs and make them run a little warm.

I just noticed a message about the Windows Firewall having stopped some activity. This is a fresh PC, where it was still enabled out-of-the-box. Normally I run without a firewall on windows, having all my systems behind a firewall.

For Windows-7 , is the recommendation (requirement?) to change the image property to 'run as administrator' ?

Hein

Hein van den Heuvel
Bruce Claremont

Posted on May 27 2011 03:39
The recommendation for all versions of Windows is to have the launch process run as administrator. it will want to poke through the firewall for WinPCAP and network support.
SYSMGR

Posted on August 05 2011 04:53
I have the same problem. I'm sure the software has been installed from an administartor account, and it runs as administrator.
However: looking at the properties of the looppback adaptor, I don't see MSIPCAP mentioned. All I see is:
Client for Microsoft Networks
Deterministic Network Enhancer
QoS packet Scheduler
File and Printer Sharing for Mocrosoft Networks
Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCPIP/IPV6)
Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCPIP/IPV4)
Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver
Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder

All checked.
Sharing disabled.

IP address (alternatiive) set to match the network of the emulator`but it won't work either if it's set it fixed to the address.

Might be mising something?

http://www.grootersnet.nl
Bruce Claremont

Posted on August 08 2011 03:41
From Dave Hittner:

Most commercial wireless NICs “edit out” MAC addresses that are not registered to the wireless card to conserve limited wireless bandwidth, thus most emulators don’t work properly with wireless cards, as the emulators depend upon multiple MAC addresses and promiscuous mode.

The simplest thing to do is to add a wired NIC, which does not have the wireless MAC restrictions.

If you can’t add a wired NIC, the second thing to try is to set the simulated MAC address to the same as the wireless MAC address – this frequently works with TCP/IP (as long as you don’t duplicate the IP address), DECNET V (non-compatibility mode), and sometimes clustering (SCS), as the PC tends to ignore the packet protocols that it doesn’t recognize, and the IP packets which aren’t targeted to it.

DECNET IV is harder to get running with wireless, since it attempts to change the MAC address to ‘AA-00-04…’, voiding the wireless MAC connection. There is a program, SMAC, which can force the wireless MAC address to the ‘aa-00-04’ style, but it’s difficult to get Decnet IV running with this, as it complains of duplicate address on the LAN during startup – some creative circuit force down/up can occasionally fix this. LAT broadcast address can also be problematic over wireless as well - some wireless NICs pass the broadcast traffic OK, and some don’t because they edit out the unrecognized non-ip protocol to save bandwidth.

Supposedly, AirShark makes a wireless NIC which allows for full promiscuous mode implementations to allow for full wireless packet sniffing. I can’t confirm this, as I’ve never bought one.
Author RE: Not the issue here (I think)
SYSMGR

Posted on August 10 2011 10:20
The last post concers real hardware: Either wireless of wired connections. I didn't try this yet on Windows7, on XP I didn't run into any issue with these - the emulation running on a laptop happily clustered to a real Alpha - over (encrypted) wireless ...
The problem is that the loopback adaptor on Windows7 doesn't connect. EVen when FreeAxp is installed using the real Administaror acount (normally disabled). The loopback adaptor is now shown in the list of available adaptors in the configuration. But even when this is configured into the same network as the emulator, there is no connection between the emulator and the adaptor. ....
If stated that it works on Win7-64, I expect it to be usable without using the real hardware.....
SYSMGR

Posted on August 29 2011 07:49
Strange....
I found a folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\MigrationSpecialties Shared\msipcap containing msiIPcatSetup.exe and msipcap.sys. The first requests I)nstall) or U(ninstall) and the path to the SYSTEM32 directory. Running this as administrator ( to be sure): it requires a path to the Windows SYSTEM32 directory... Note this is a 64-bit system!
SYSMGR

Posted on August 29 2011 08:45
The dervice does esist:

C:\Windows\system32>sc query msipcap

SERVICE_NAME: msipcap
TYPE : 1 KERNEL_DRIVER
STATE : 4 RUNNING
(STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
CHECKPOINT : 0x0
WAIT_HINT : 0x0

C:\Windows\system32>

but I don't see a connection to the loopback adapter.
Author RE: Works now.
Hein

Posted on September 16 2011 17:43
Not sure what happened here, pretty sure I retried what i had tried before.
Anyway, I finally have a virtual network on my Windows7 64-bit laptop, using the OpenVPN TAP Virtual Ethernet Adapter installed as per section 9.2 "NETWORKING AVANTI ON A SYSTEM WITH A SINGLE NIC" in the 9/6/11 Userguide. Now running FreeAXP 2.0-377.
Maybe I had failed to do the set “Media Status” to “Always Connected”.
Maybe it works now because I pick 192.168.0.x as addresses?
(there is a Microsoft driver that insists on that).
I did NOT bridge the connection as I did not need to expose OpenVM on FreeAXP to the internet or visa versa. Just stuff running on the host itself (FTP, Putty, Attunity Studio, DBclient,...)

fwiw, Hein.

Hein van den Heuvel
Edited by Hein on September 16 2011 17:50
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive