Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesFriday, April 19, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 8
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | Alpha Systems Forums | FreeAXP
Author Problems with FreeAXP hanging
JCE

Posted on April 09 2014 15:13
I had been using FreeAXP and it seemed to run great!

Something changed; not sure if it was the upgrade to a newer version, upgrade to Win8.1, or something else.

Currently have FreeAXP 2.4.4.537 installed.

When the Virtual Alpha Configuration Utility is started, it come up fine.
When I try to open an existing config file or create a new one nothing happens and if I click in the form the title bar says (NOT RESPONDING). The process can't be killed other than logging off or re-booting. The task Manager can't kill it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Author RE: Problems with FreeAXP hanging
Bruce Claremont

Posted on April 10 2014 01:52
I just tested the config utility under FreeAXP 537 and Windows 8.1 and cannot reproduce your problems. It creates configuration files and opens existing configuration files without issue.

Are you running as an administrator?
Edited by Bruce Claremont on April 10 2014 01:53
JCE

Posted on April 10 2014 06:25
Yes, running as admin

(Not Responding)
Bruce Claremont

Posted on April 10 2014 14:54
Two things.

- Check the Windows system and error logs.

- De-install FreeAXP and try the prior version. (I would not expect it to behave any differently).
iamcamiel

Posted on April 11 2014 02:32
Yes, I've seen this occasionally under Windows 8.1 as well. It looks like the network driver doesn't Always survive the partial-hibernation Windows 8.1 does on shutdown (which allows for Windows 8.1's faster boot performance). You could try disbling hibernation completely by typing "powercfg -h off" in an elevated command-prompt window. then do a shutdown and boot again. If that doesn't fix it, you can easily go back to the old setting with "powercfg -h on".
http://sourceforge.net/projects/es40
JCE

Posted on April 12 2014 03:29
I think you are on to something because the issue started out be intermittent but now seems to be happening all the time.

I tried your suggestion of turning off hibernation and did a shutdown and then startup.

(NOT RESPONDING)

Tried the shutdown / startup again to ensure it wasn't a 'one time fluke' and

(NOT RESPONDING)

The program will, initially, allow me to 'pull down a menu item', like new config or recent config, but then

(NOT RESPONDING)
marcelwillems

Posted on June 29 2014 03:49
I have the same problem after upgrading to Windows 8.1.

I had FreeaAXP 2.3.1.474 under Windows 8 and it was running perfectly. After upgrade to 8.1 I got this hanging problem and I installed 2.4.4.537. hoping the problem was gone. Right after the installation without rebooting windows I could use a configfile that I used before but then the boot of VMS hung.

I rebooted windows, but then the hang problem in the config utility was back. I then tried the suggestion of Camiel to use this "powercfg - h off" but that did not help either as in the case of the reply of JCE.

Did anybody find another solution since 12 april, or must I go back to Windows 8?

Many thanks,

Marcel Willems
Bruce Claremont

Posted on June 30 2014 03:25
A new kit, FreeAXP 541, has been posted to http://www.migrationspecialties.com/FreeAXP.html. Let us know if it helps with this problem.
marcelwillems

Posted on June 30 2014 06:48
Hi Bruce,

Many thanks for your quick answer. I installed the kit 541 and it worked like a charm. But when I rebooted windows. the problem was back. I could start the config utility and then I could choose a configfile. But then the file was not opened and the CONFIG Utility screen did only display the part with the "File Help" in it and the icons below it, but I could not click on these icons. It said "Not responding" too.

As it worked after installing, I suspect that perhaps a setting of the install is not saved when windows 8.1 is shutting down. As it worked fine with windows 8, I suspect that it could have to do with changes in windows 8.1.

In the meantime I have the workaround to reinstall FreeAXP every time I want to use it after a reboot, as the install can be done very quickly.

If I can help you to solve the problem by trying out things, please let me know, I will be happy to do this. The advice of Camiel about this powercfg made no difference.

Many thanks,

Marcel Willems
Bruce Claremont

Posted on July 01 2014 04:07
Hi Marcel,

Thanks for the feedback. We will continue to try to reproduce the problem here. No luck so far.

You can also manually launch a configuration. See section 7.6 in the User Guide: http://www.migrationspecialties.com/pdf/VirtualAlpha_UserGuide.pdf I suggest creating a short cut to a batch file to launch the configuration.
Bruce Claremont

Posted on July 01 2014 04:55
To be clear, it is the config utility that is hanging. It hangs when you try to open a configuration file. Correct?
Bruce Claremont

Posted on July 01 2014 06:09
Also, what hardware are you running?
marcelwillems

Posted on July 01 2014 08:00
Hi Bruce

In the CONFIG utility I choose the icon "Open config file". I get the popupscreen with my config file on it. I select this file and click on Open. The popup screen disappears and I get the screen that is displayed when startting the CONFIG utility back. After a second or so it says Not Responding and I can do nothing anymore.

I have a desktop, about half a year old, with an

INTEL Core i5-4430 CPU @ 3.00 GHz
4 GB internal memory
64 bits x64 processor

About starting from a command:

- After a fresh install I get the PUTTY screen

┌─┬─┬─┬─┬─┬─┬─┐ V i r t u a l serial0
│F│r│e│e│A│X│P│ A l p h a on emulator 6 disks-2 (128 Msmiley
└─┴─┴─┴─┴─┴─┴─┘ x64 version 2.4.4.541

but the nothing happens anymore, however freeaxp is using CPU (about 25%). I can see it knows the right file

6 disks2-.cfg.

After rebooting when the problem with the config utility appears, the command does not display the PUTTY screen only in the task manager I see freeaxp with 0% CPU.

I will try some more things with the command and see how the batch works. I will let you know Thursday or Friday. Many thanks for your help so far.

Regards,

Marcel Willems

Bruce Claremont

Posted on July 02 2014 07:51
So when you boot from a command line you do not see the startup countdown or console prompt (>>>smiley in the PuTTY window?

┌─┬─┬─┬─┬─┬─┬─┐ V i r t u a l serial0
│F│r│e│e│A│X│P│ A l p h a on emulator test (128 Msmiley
└─┴─┴─┴─┴─┴─┴─┘ x64 version 2.4.4.541

ff.fe.fd.fc.fb.fa.f9.f8.f7.f6.f5.
ef.df.ee.ed.ec.f4.eb.ea.e9.e8.e7.e6.....e5.
V7.0-9, built on Mar 18 1999 at 13:25:37
>>>

John Manger

Posted on July 02 2014 23:08
Marcel,

Some further troubleshooting questions ....

Once the 'problem' has started, can you still run FreeAXP from a start icon (from your Programs->FreeAXP->NameOfCfgFile menu). ie, not from the config utility ?

Is the config utility icon pointing to the 'correct' config utility ? (older/earlier FreeAXP releases (way back) used some different path(s)). On my system, the icon's path to the utility looks like this : "C:\Program Files\Common Files\MigrationSpecialtiesShared\DecConfig.exe"

Can you run the config utility directly from a cmd(dos) window ?

regards,
John M
marcelwillems

Posted on July 07 2014 02:11
Hi Bruce,

Sorry for the late reply, I was away for some days.

After a fresh install I getr the 3 lines on my screen. The lines

ff.fe.fd.fc.fb.fa.f9.f8.f7.f6.f5.
ef.df.ee.ed.ec.f4.eb.ea.e9.e8.e7.e6.....e5.
V7.0-9, built on Mar 18 1999 at 13:25:37
>>>

are NOT displayed.

When the PC is rebooted, nothing happens anymore and my prompt on the command window comes back right away.

Hi John M,

The path is okay.

Thanks,

Marcel Willems

syltrem

Posted on February 05 2016 01:42
Hello

I too, am having this problem. Started today.
Has anyone found a solution ?

My version is 2.64.595 on Win 2012

Thank you
http://pages.infinit.net/syltrem
Bruce Claremont

Posted on February 05 2016 02:17
595 is a Windows 10 beta release. Try 560.
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive