Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesFriday, March 29, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 2
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | Alpha Systems Forums | FreeAXP
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Author Tru64 Installation on FreeAXP
Paolo_R

Posted on February 17 2018 12:14
I currently run OpenVMS under FreeAXP 2.6. I now want to also install Digital UNIX4.0E.

Do I need to have a separate installation of FreeAXP (with specific folders)? My current OpenVMS data installation files reside in a FreeAXP folder with all the alpha.cfg, alpha.log and disk0*.img files.

Thanks
Paul
Edited by Bruce Claremont on February 27 2018 02:17
Author RE: FreeAXP Multiple Installation Required?
Bruce Claremont

Posted on February 18 2018 01:31
You do not need a separate installation of FreeAXP. You simply need to create additional disk files for the Tru64 system and a cfg file to support it.
Paolo_R

Posted on February 18 2018 11:31
Bruce

Thanks for the info.

Paul
Paolo_R

Posted on February 18 2018 12:42
Bruce

Another question - is there a 'how to' regarding installing Tru64 UNIX on FreeAXP? I'm particlarly interested in how to set up the hard disk(s).

Thanks
Paul
Bruce Claremont

Posted on February 19 2018 00:58
Generically, you install it just like you would on a real Alpha. Add the Tru64 installation ISO to your config file and boot it, as you did with OpenVMS. There are some empty prebuilt disks on the FreeAXP page: http://www.migrationspecialties.com/FreeAXP.html#Tru64_Disks.
John Manger

Posted on February 19 2018 01:44
These days, its difficult to find the manuals free and online - one of the few remaining places is WinWorld. They/re usually at the top of a G**gle search. Then look under *nix and Digital UNIX. They also have interesting CDs such at the o/s iso and the Assoc. Products CDs as well as versions other than 4.0E. Unfortunately, IIRC, the 40E doc CD is is 'UFS' format, so you need a working Ultrix or Tru64 rig to read it. :-(

The Univ. of Cambridge has a patch repository for the older versions which HP no longer supports or sells contract for - http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/public_patches/DEC/

The V5.0 doc set is online at http://www.frascati.enea.it/documentation/tru6450/ V5 brings new admin tools, so it will often refer to tools and facilituies not present in V4.0x.

'Bilsden' have their own notes on how to install at http://billsden.org/dsi/admin/dec/install.htm YMMV with them, and I cannot say if they're accurate or not, so caveat emptor.

The most basic basic install, is boot the o/s CD, partition the main/system disk with default sizes, accept defaults for everything, install all s/w subsets, don't mess with the kernel build, and you should have a working system with a root login and all should be well. ;-)

regards,
John M

Paolo_R

Posted on February 19 2018 12:49
Bruce - thanks. I overlooked the fact that I would need a physical ISO - as opposed to a 'virtual' ISO.

John - thanks for the links etc

Regarding disks - how many disks should I create - 1, 2, 3? And what size? Approximately how much space does a basic install require?

Finally, do I need to install the Patch Kit 4 and Firmware Update 6.8? If so, in what sequence? Firmware Upgrade, O/S, Patch Kit?

Thanks
Paul
Paolo_R

Posted on February 19 2018 14:08
Sorry, really finally - do I need licenses for any of the software?

Thanks
Paul
John Manger

Posted on February 19 2018 22:32
Paul,

No you don't need a physical ISO/CD, FreeAXP supports 'virtual' CD/ISOs. They are just another image file, but read-only and handled as CDs rather than SCSI disks

A basic install of Tru64 can fit into as little as an RZ35, but a 2G/RZ28 is usualy sufficient.

There is no 'firmware' on a Emulator. Or, rather, there is, but you cant change it. ;-)
Tru64 will see FreeAXP as running fware release 7.0.

Patches fix problems. ;-)
So, the current 4.0E patchkit should normally be applied.

Tru64 UNIX will run normally without any licences, BUT, only root will be allowed to login without the OSF-BASE licence installed. If you can get an OSF-BASE, IIRC 4.0E comes with default OSF-USR licence of 4 users, so then you'd have root +4 users.
There are often licences on fleaBay.

John M
Paolo_R

Posted on February 20 2018 16:08
John

Thanks for that. I've installed the basic OS but haven't yet installed the Patch Kit 4. Are there any particular issues/'gotchas' to be aware of when installing patches?

If I wanted to install programming languages would I need licenses or does the basic single user/root license suffice?

I think I know the answer to this but presumably the Putty interface to the OS does not support graphics and so the CDE and other graphic programs cannot be used. I don't suppose there is an alternative to Putty which suppports graphics?

Thanks
Paull
Paolo_R

Posted on February 21 2018 13:06
I'm trying to install Patch Kit V.4.

I've mounted the CD-ROM called Tru64_UNIX-5.1B_-_Patch_Kit.iso. This has a folder structure as follows:

->patch kit then
->patch_tools
SYSCHECK133.KIT
Tru64_UNIX_V5.1B
dupatch

and one or two documents. I changed directory to patch_kit and ran ./dupatch. I get a message "Enter patch to the top of the patch distribution or enter "q" to quit". I've changed directory to each of the sub-directories and run dupatch and keep getting the message: "<directory name> does not contain any Tru64 UNIX setld format patch kit". None of the files in the sub-folders is a .tar file. They all seem to be of the form OSFPAT02500100540 etc. Nofile extension.

Help please! Where do I find the appropriately formatted patch kit?

Thanks
Paul
Edited by Paolo_R on February 21 2018 13:37
Paolo_R

Posted on February 22 2018 13:08
OK, I've got dupatch to load its menu, having pointed it at Tru64_UNIX_V5.1B. Unfortunately, it keeps looping around telling me that the instaallation can only be in Single-user mode.

My installation is already in Single-user mode.

????

Paul
Edited by Paolo_R on February 22 2018 13:09
Paolo_R

Posted on February 23 2018 12:55
I managed to boot into single-user mode (set boot_osflags S).

When I tried to run dupatch I get: './dupatch: /usr/share/lib/shell/libscp : not found'. Can you offer any advice?

Paul
Paolo_R

Posted on February 23 2018 14:32
After further searching I ran bcheckrc which apparently allows use of LSM in single-user mode. This allows dupatch to bring up its menu.

Having chosen 'Check and Install Patches in Single-User Mode' I then get a message 'OSF.image file not found in patch kit ... exiting'.

So it appears I'm stuffed.

Paul
Edited by Paolo_R on February 23 2018 14:35
Author RE: Tur64 Installation on FreeAXP
Bruce Claremont

Posted on February 26 2018 02:15
I renamed this thread "Tru64 Installation on FreeAXP", as it is more fitting to the subject.

Sorry I cannot help on the Tru64 questions. OpenVMS is my area of expertise. You have made good progress.
John Manger

Posted on February 26 2018 02:27
Ah. I missed the 'Tru64_UNIX-5.1B_-_Patch_Kit.iso'.

Thats the V5,.1B patchkit CD. It only contains patches for V5.1B.

You need the patchkit for V4.0E. The Cambridge url above is the place to go. It'll be a 'tar' file. Un-tar it into a sub-dir somewhere, then repeat the steps you tried earlier (single user, bcheckrc, kit path etc).

John M
John Manger

Posted on February 26 2018 02:45
On the other questions :

- for CDE/X11 display you'll need an X-Windows emulator/package on your PC or other Un*x machine to display to. eXceed, Reflection/X, Xcursion, Xming have all worked for various users over the years.

- Languages, the RTS (run times) are all unlicensed, its the compiler that needs a license. Only the Compaq C compiler 'cc' needs no license. All the rest, Cxx, f77, Pascal, Ada, Cobol need a licence.
Paolo_R

Posted on February 26 2018 13:23
Bruce

Thanks.
Paolo_R

Posted on February 26 2018 13:28
John

Re patch kit - I've actually installed v5.1B (my original post was a typo) so I think I have the correct patch CD. So the message 'OSF.image file not found in patch kit ... exiting' is still there. I have an OSF-USER license as listed by lmf.

Thanks for the terminal emulator and languages info. Is there a free CDE/X11 terminal emulator which would work?

Paul
Paolo_R

Posted on February 26 2018 13:32
John

I've just discoverd MobaXTerm which has a free Home edition.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive