Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesFriday, April 19, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 5
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | Alpha Systems Forums | Alpha Software Forum
Author link option to produce an EXE on alpha openVMS v8.3 to run on v7.1 and up?
m2-guy

Posted on March 12 2014 01:30
hello

can't find a LINK option to produce an EXE which runs on any Alpha openVMS-version (v7.1 and later.) I'm running v8.3

thanks!
Author RE: link option to produce an EXE on alpha openVMS v8.3 to run on v7.1 and up?
malmberg

Posted on March 12 2014 02:54
It is not exactly a link option. The linker does not really care.

You have to do some things to build an image suitable for an older version of VMS.

1. You have to set logical names up for your compilers to find the definitions that are valid for that version of VMS. Some languages like C can require you to override predefined macros or other version indicators.

2. You have to define the logical names for any of the shared images that your program needs to refer to the actual shared images of your older version of VMS.

You may need to define logical names so that you run older versions of of the compilers and to actually run the older linker tool.

Many products just do the compile step with options set for the older version and then do the final link at install time.
Author RE: link option to produce an EXE on alpha openVMS v8.3 to run on v7.1 and up?
Bruce Claremont

Posted on March 12 2014 03:05
Much easier to build a virtual v7.1 installation and do the compiles and links there.
m2-guy

Posted on March 12 2014 03:07
thank you!

what puzzles me: when I link my program under 7.1 it also runs under 8.3. (without recompilation)

so why is the inverse step so complicated?

I no longer easily can boot 7.1 myself.
this is why I asked.

I remember that my EXE linked under 8.3 produces an error when invoked under 7.1.
don't remember the exact wording - it's kind of operating system mismatch error.
abrsvc

Posted on March 12 2014 08:33
OpenVMS has always provided upwards compatability, meaning that older programs should run without change on newer versions. Since any referenced shareable images will be able to resolve any references correctly, this is guaranteed to work. Newer shareable images may have references to modules that don't exist on older versions (for example). In this case, attempting to run on older systems will fail.

The suggestion has always been to link on the "oldest" version to guarantee proper functioning on all versions. Please note that this will prohibit the use of newer techniques +/or routines.

With some manipulation, you CAN link on a V8.3 system and create .exes that will work onV7.1 as long as you point to the V7.1 shareable images. While not completely "supported", this does work. Again the emphasis here is to link against the shareables from the oldest system.

Dan
m2-guy

Posted on March 12 2014 09:03
Thanks Dan!
I have a physical image copy of a bootable vms 7.1 disk as a file (vms71.dsk) on my pc.

(made it unter linux with dd with vms disk connected to a pc with scsi.
it boots under es40.org alpha emulator but I have network problems so cant really use the emu apart from the fact that I wouldn't trust this emu to produce anything for production use.)

If I ftp the vms71.dsk to the alpha running vms8.3, is there a way to mount it as virtual disk in order to access the vms7.1 system's shareable image file?

p.s.: in http://www.digiater.nl/lddriver.html just find
"Beginning in V8.2 LD is fully integrated."
is it still in V8.3?
Edited by m2-guy on March 12 2014 09:09
Bruce Claremont

Posted on March 13 2014 04:01
Boot the 7.1 disk under FreeAXP. You will then have a fully functional VMS 7.1 system with networking upon which to build your 7.1 images.

To add to abrsvc's explanation, we maintain older versions of VMS specifically so we can produce product executables that are compatible with VMS back to VMS 5.5. We uses to do this with actual VAX and Alpha hardware. Now we can do it using SimH VAX, FreeAXP, and Avanti virtual systems.
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive