Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesThursday, March 28, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 3
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | Alpha Systems Forums | Alpha Software Forum
Author D3000 M600 takes too long to start up
Titox

Posted on May 13 2020 07:19
Hi I have just rebuilt a DEC3000 M600 that served as an MRI console.
I have reinstated OpenVMS v6.2 from the original vendor OEM CD as the system was personalized for the MRI performance..
Odd thing is that it takes up to 24 minutes for the system to show the login window...
I took off TC1 and TC2 cards (marked as "modem" and a SCSI expansion that used to communicate with the MRI machine) hoping it was perhaps waiting for the rest of the equipment to respond.. but had no luck..
It has two hard drives ... big for the time .. dka200 (boot) with 2.14 GB and dka200 with 4.29 GB..
Are there a y timeouts configuration to check?
I'll try to re install without the TC cards on.. perhaps I have more luck..
I don't know IF this setup disk has any OEM modifications.. to setup the final system you have to run a second CD with specific software that I am not planning to use.. as it loguots immediately when checking the rest of the machine is missing ..

Secondly.. how do I install any software? I have a working CD drive and I guess I could configure the ethernet port.. I have not a clue as how to use OpenVMS at allsmiley
Thanks
(I wish I could post some pictures but it seems the forum doesn't allow me to)
Author RE: D3000 M600 takes too long to start up
Bruce Claremont

Posted on May 14 2020 01:54
Things that might slow you down.

Is the machine running a full memory check on startup?

Is the machine doing a verbose startup (lots and lots of messages on the console)?

Post a copy of the startup messages.
abrsvc

Posted on May 14 2020 03:38
You indicate that OpenVMS was from the vender OEM CD. Is this the standard DEC CD? Your machine should not take that long. I have a 3000 M600 here that takes longer than my DS10, but I would expect that. It does NOT tale 25 minutes though.

If the CD was not from DEC, I would suspect that the startup files have built in delays for the customer hardware to initialize. Try to locate a true Digital installation CD and install that first to see if there is a difference.
Titox

Posted on May 14 2020 10:07
Bruce Claremont wrote:
Things that might slow you down.

Is the machine running a full memory check on startup?

Is the machine doing a verbose startup (lots and lots of messages on the console)?

Post a copy of the startup messages.

Hi,
AT system start up Memory check doesn't take so long.. perhaps SCSI check at the " System conducting Power Up tests" and after that the INIT-S-SCSI are the ones that takes longer but not so much.
Once starting the boot up it keeps at
$! Copyright (c) digital .....
â–¡STDRV-I-STARTUP, OpenVMS startup began at.... [date time]
for more than 20 minutes.. with the screen freezed.. then it starts a fast scroll but not so long and finally the graphic environment appears..
Sorry I can't find how to post a picture..
Thanks for helping
Titox

Posted on May 14 2020 10:16
abrsvc wrote:
You indicate that OpenVMS was from the vender OEM CD. Is this the standard DEC CD? Your machine should not take that long. I have a 3000 M600 here that takes longer than my DS10, but I would expect that. It does NOT tale 25 minutes though.

If the CD was not from DEC, I would suspect that the startup files have built in delays for the customer hardware to initialize. Try to locate a true Digital installation CD and install that first to see if there is a difference.

I am not sure about if this is a standard CD.. it came along with other 3 CD in a package to set up the MRI machine. After this only CDsetup you get the digital logging windows and a clean system. You need to setup the other disks to have the personalized system. It is very possible that vendors has included waiting times for the rest of the hardware to start up.. clearly that hardware doesn't existed anymore...
Aren't there any standard configuration files that I could check? Have in mind I know almost nothing about OpenVMS...
If I try a new CD from a downloaded image won't I have any licensing issues? How can I get a hobbyist license? And what will happen to my sister once reached the one year period?
Thanks!!!!
abrsvc

Posted on May 16 2020 04:23
Once the system starts, get a copy of SYSTARUTP_VMS.COM and either post it here or send it to me and I'll take a look for anything odd. Also the STARTUP.COM that is in SYS$SYSTEM.

Dan
Titox

Posted on May 16 2020 14:40
abrsvc wrote:
Once the system starts, get a copy of SYSTARUTP_VMS.COM and either post it here or send it to me and I'll take a look for anything odd. Also the STARTUP.COM that is in SYS$SYSTEM.

Dan

I'll try..
Where do I find the SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM ?
I don't have configured the network yet so Icant hardly take anything from her but display pictures smiley .. I'll try my best.. I have not a clue about openVMS
Thank you!
malmberg

Posted on May 19 2020 17:00
See the topic on signing up for hobbyist licenses.

Get the licenses for VAX and Alpha and ask for download links to the media.

That will get you download links for OpenVMS Alpha 8.4 and VAX/VMS 7.3.

You can easily setup simH on a PC or a Raspberry Pi as a later project.

Current Hobbyist licenses will be good to the end of 2021 at which time VSI hobby license or equivalent are supposed to be available. No word yet if VAX licenses will be included.

malmberg

Posted on May 19 2020 17:28
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00058693en_us

This is a link to links of downloadable PDF documentation. I do not know how long they will be available for download considering HPE is exiting the VMS business.
muddflapp

Posted on June 05 2021 15:18
I don't know how a DEC300-600 boots.
Boot somewhat verbosely so that you can see what script is being executed when it hangs

Snippet from sys$system:startup.com
$if p2.eqs."1" .or. f$locate(p2,"YES"smiley.eq.0 .or. f$locate(p2,"TRUE"smiley.eq.0
$then
$stdrv$verify = 1
$goto done_setup
$endif
$if p2.eqs."0" .or. f$locate(p2,"NO"smiley.eq.0 .or. f$locate(p2,"FALSE"smiley.eq.0 then -
goto done_setup
$if f$locate("V",p2) .nes. f$length(p2) then stdrv$verify = stdrv$true
$if f$locate("D",p2) .nes. f$length(p2) then stdrv$log = stdrv$true
$if f$locate("C",p2) .nes. f$length(p2) then stdrv$verbose = stdrv$true
$if f$locate("P",p2) .nes. f$length(p2) then stdrv$comp_verify = stdrv$true
$done_setup:

Try this:
>>> boot -flag 0,1
This assumes your sys$specific points to the [SYS0.] directory
SYSBOOT> set startup_p2 "C" Shows Command procedures as they are entered
SYSBOOT> set writesysparams 0 Forces SYSBOOT to not make permanent changes
SYSBOOT> continue

If you edit any files you do not want to change:
Edit/edt/read sys$system:system.com
* c !moves to screen mode
* q !quit without saving changes
* exit !quit and attempt to save changes
While in screen mode using the numeric keyboard
<num-lock><*> Search for something. Type in what you're looking for then press <4> for Forward <5> for backward
<num-lock><4> jump to end of file
<num-lock><5> jump to beginning of file
<num-lock>Z or <ctrl>Z get into line mode
muddflapp

Posted on June 05 2021 15:20
edit/edt/read sys$manager:systartup_vms.com
*c
Page down
Page down
Down arrow
Up arrow
<num-lock><Z>
*quit
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive