Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesThursday, March 28, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 3
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | VAX Systems Forums | VAX Software Forum
Author DECWindows over DECNET?
Altivo

Posted on June 20 2011 07:43
As described in the earlier thread, I managed to get VAX (7.3) DECWindows sessions to run on a Linux Xserver. However, it seems pretty unreliable when compared to the Alpha (8.3) version of DECWindows running on the same server. The latter is pretty reliable and can actually be used.

What happens with the VAX version is that the mouse and/or keyboard get disconnected for some reason. Sometimes the session will run for several minutes, sometimes it locks up with no mouse or keyboard response as soon as an application is opened. This may be a timing issue, since DECWindows on SIMH VAX does seem to be quite a bit slower than it is on my Alphas.

Clearly, though, DECWindows was meant to run on DECNET rather than TCPIP (I think.) Linux has an optional protocol stack for DECNET. Is there likely any advantage to letting Linux speak OpenVMS' native language rather than asking OpenVMS to speak today's TCPIP? Has anyone tried it?
Edited by Altivo on June 20 2011 07:44
http://altivo.dreamwidth.org/
Author RE: DECWindows over DECNET?
eMGee

Posted on June 22 2011 11:34
I haven't tried it (in fact, I don't have a non-embedded Linux system anymore), but I'd be very interested to learn about the results.
malmberg

Posted on June 22 2011 17:33
I thought I saw a posting somewhere that no one is currently maintaining the DECNET on LINUX package.

As far as I know, the DECNET transport for X11 is not available on Linux. That would require that X11 on Linux have DECNET specific code in it.

I do not know how much work it would take to get a DECNET transport written.
Altivo

Posted on June 23 2011 10:53
I had to first get DECnet working on my Alphas and emulated VAxen. That much is achieved, and they are talking to one another now over DECnet.

I've seen that notice that the DECnet for Linux project was "dead" too, dated late last year. But there have been updates to it in 2011, so I'm not so sure. I think what was "declared dead" was code within the Linux kernel intended to specifically support DECnet. This doesn't preclude support through loadable modules (which is the norm for most driver type stuff these days) or separate applications.

The current Ubuntu and Debian repositories do include the DECnet support packages. I'll find out soon.
Altivo

Posted on June 24 2011 10:53
Configuration was a bit touchy, and particularly so since I'm using TUN/TAP bridging for the virtual machines, but I have successfully installed the DECnet for Linux packages on two Ubuntu 10.04 machines now and they do work. The transport for X11 is not included, but is apparently available from another source, at least according to the support site for these packages.

There are three packages:
libdnet
dnet-common
dnet-progs

You need all three. It's DECnet Phase IV, so it will alter your MAC address. Pay attention to the (skimpy) instructions. Read them twice. Except for some difficulties getting proxy to work on the VAXes, all the expected features are functional. The syntax is altered a bit since standard VMS commands look like shell commands in Linux and the shell intercedes and messes you up. Most commands are prefixed by "dn" to keep the shell out of the way. But you get "set host" equivalence, remote directory searching, DECnet object activation, remote file copy and deletion, etc. It works and seems faster than the TCP-based equivalent operations.
malmberg

Posted on June 26 2011 07:32
I am using Virtual Box to create a dedicated Linux box to hold my SimH emulator and a dedicated W7 x64 for FreeAXP.

VirtualBox allows creating 4 virtual NICs, so I dedicated two NICs to each host and two NIC for each emulator. I have one bridged network for each VM and one internal network for local and cluster traffic. I have to run an older version of VirtualBox to allow VMS cluster traffic.
Altivo

Posted on July 03 2011 05:11
Yes, I've encountered some issues with ethernet bridging. Perhaps not surprising, but some of the code written to create and support bridges assumes that IP is the only protocol. In particular, when I installed UML (User Model Linux) utilities in order to try their bridging structure, I found that not only does their model not work with DECnet but if it is active on the system it interferes with taptap.c, the tool I've been using that does pass DECnet through. I had to disable the uml-switching process to get taptap working again.

With respect to the original question, I haven't yet found the code patch to activate DECnet transport in X11. However, I find that using the TCPIP transport becomes much more reliable if XDM is left out of the picture. When I use a DECnet task script to run DECW$STARTLOGIN on the X client machine, it avoids the bug I've mentioned before with respect to server zero vs. other server numbers. It also seems to sidestep some issues with Motif losing focus and not responding to the mouse or keyboard.

In brief, I start an X server on the Linux machine, then use

$ dntask 'REMOTENODE"SYSTEM -"::start-login'

at the Linux prompt. That's the DECnet for Linux equivalent of the VMS command

$ TYPE REMOTENODE"SYSTEM PASSWORD"::"TASK=START-LOGIN"

The REMOTENODE::START-LOGIN.COM file is run with system privileges. It creates a display, defines the DECW$DISPLAY logical at the system level, and runs DECW$STARTLOGIN.EXE

This works well to get an X session going on a Linux display from either OpenVMS VAX 7.3 or OpenVMS Alpha 8.3.
Edited by Altivo on July 03 2011 05:23
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive