Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesWednesday, April 24, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 6
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | VAX Systems Forums | VAX Hardware Forum
Author My Mvax won't listen to me
scottwalker

Posted on July 29 2014 16:04
I decided to refurb a MicroVAX 3100 Model 40. Cleaned it up, found a tape drive, drive and memory. Replaced the Power LED with a Blue one to bring it into this Century smiley

I have a console cable on port 3 and break enabled. Gives human readable dialog on 96,N,8,1 with no errors and tries to Boot from ESA0: ... Fails as expected.

When push the break and get >>> it won't take any input. No characters generated and no response.

I have tried 2 Terminal emulators and no difference.

Any ideas before I have to go dig up a VT?

Thanks, Scott
Author RE: My Mvax won't listen to me
Bruce Claremont

Posted on July 30 2014 02:57
Try the other ports.
abrsvc

Posted on July 30 2014 03:52
Its been a long time, but I don't believe that port 3 was console enabled. Try port 1.

Dan
reinhardtjh

Posted on July 31 2014 00:01
On the back of my M95 the MMJ jacks are labeled from left to right, Port 0, 1, 3. The OPA0: port is the rightmost port, #3.

A M40 may be different though. If you're getting the init sequence when it's powered up, that should be the right port. It goes through the testing okay?

Something like this:

KA51-A V2.6, VMB 2.15
Performing normal system tests.
Tests completed.
>>>

Then you get the "dead sergeants" prompt and it tries to boot from ESA0?

One possibility is that your console cable has the correct pinout for sending but the receive (from the terminal) is wrong or broken. Are you using a DEC cable or a home made one? Do you have anything else to test it with?
malmberg

Posted on July 31 2014 03:59
I would look at the other serial ports.

Check your wiring. Search http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/ for the openvms faq and serial port information.

Most RJ-45 or home-made Modtap to 25 or 9 pin adapters are wired wrong and are missing a signal return. Usually this is not noticed because the signal returns are usually also connected to the chassis and will happily pass through the safety ground pin between the devices.

There are two signal returns in a mod-tap or RJ-45 and when you terminate them on an 9 or 25 pin connector, they both need to be connected together in the adapter.

Terminals, PCs, and VAXes, etc are DTE devices. When you use RJ-45 or Modtap cables that are commonly wired with only one signal return connected, because of the twist, it results a different wire connected to the signal common on each end.
Surprisingly, this usually mostly works, except when it does not. Then strange things happen. And then people who do not pay attention to how things should be wired spend a lot of time arguing that it works everywhere else, so the incorrect wiring could not be the problem.

If the VAX has 9 pin serial ports instead of 25 pin ones, be aware that the older DEC 9 pin serial ports are wired differently than on PCs.

While many devices, and I think that includes the MicroVAX ignore the special signals on the connector, some actually care about them. A PC may be one of those devices.

On your serial connector, if you are not passing the DSR/DTR and RTS/CTS signals through the cable, they need to be jumpered at the connector.

DTR is asserted by a device when it is able send/receive data. A serial port that does not have a program connected to it or is listening for login should not be asserting DTR. But who cares about standards?

A device should not pay attention to any serial input unless the DSR signal has been asserted from the remote device. So the DSR must be connected to the sending DTR or jumpered to the local DSR. On a properly configured system, dropping DSR on an interactive terminal session should cause the session to disconnect or logout.

CTS is asserted when the program connected a serial port is able to accept data.

A program should not send data out the serial port if RTS is not asserted.

Of course these behaviors are inconsistently implemented. I do recall some PC terminal emulation programs refusing to work properly if the RTS signal is missing.

So I always make sure either the signals are wired or jumpered.
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive