Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesThursday, April 18, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 3
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | OpenVMS Hobbyist Media Kits | OpenVMS Alpha Media Kits
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Author Mastering the OpenVMS V8.3 Hobbyist Kits
HobbyistOne
Super Administrator

Posted on October 08 2007 06:48
I'm finalizing the OpenVMS V8.3-based Alpha Media Kits. I should be sending out some "sample" CD-R's of the kits to a few folks this week for testing. But since a CD has limited room, I'm wanting some ideas for what extra software products should be on the CD besides the basics. A few things are assumed to be included: VMS V8.3, DECWindows, TCP/IP, DECnet IV, DECnet V, and the other things on the normal Operating System Distribution. Also, the two most common compilers: DEC C and FORTRAN.

Also, this kit will be slightly different than previous kits. The extra products will be zipped, and will require you to unzip the kit (UNZIP.EXE for Alpha will be on the kit) in order to install it. This will enable me to get more stuff on the CD, too. Now, part of the kit is the Postscript/HTML/Text documentation, and if you think that can be dropped, I might be able to fit a little more on the kit, too.

I'm also looking at doing a 700MB CD this time. Previous CD's were 650MB, to insure compatibility with older drives. This will provide more room, but some older CD drives may not like it. If anyone thinks this will be a problem for them, let me know.

Of course, if there are products you'd like to see that are not on the poll, let me know that, too. I'll add that to the poll and see what others think, too!
Author
imiller
Administrator

Posted on October 09 2007 02:04
Initially I would have said DECset but perhaps DECset is just too dated, iand quite large.

Including the docs is a good idea. Now if you can find a way of getting people to read them that would be even better smiley
http://www.encompasserve.org/~miller/
Author
brad

Posted on October 09 2007 14:02
Thanks!

I'd like to vote for all the compilers listed, instead of just one; if one were the only option, then it would have to be C++.

DECSET is nice to have. I was thinking that SWB would be a nice include, as well, so that folks could use a browser without much trouble.
http://www.turquoisewitch.com/~bradh
Author
ralaio

Posted on October 10 2007 14:13
I vote for 1) Cobol, 2) Ada, 3) C++

Thank you
Author
sms

Posted on November 27 2007 12:48
> [...] UNZIP.EXE for Alpha will be on the kit [...]

That's UnZip version 5.52, I trust (not some old thing, like HP).

> [...] Postscript/HTML/Text documentation, [...]

That should be pretty compressible, no?

Not having found a good source for DECset, I'd vote for that, too.

> [...] DECset is just too dated [...]

There is a fairly new version (with a whole different set of MMS
problems on ODS5 disks).

Other possibilities:

MMOV (V2.2-1? Is there a newer one?)
C++
BASIC

In principle, you could save a few bytes by using a Zip/UnZip set
which does bzip2 compression, but you'd need to use pre-release
Zip (3.0) and UnZip (6.0) programs. For example, DIRE /SIZE on
an old DECset kit compressed using deflate and bzip2:

DECSET124_V9.ZIP;1 29721
DECSET124_VBZ.ZIP;1 26682

It is slower with bzip2, but that 10% might be worth it.
Author
ddkrahn

Posted on November 30 2007 07:55
I vote for: 1) C++ 2) DECset 3) BASIC

And put me on the testing list for a CD.

Thanks!
Author
MartyK

Posted on December 06 2007 06:51
A C compiler would be handy. That is what I use most for porting projects to VMS.
http://www.kuhrt.net/
Author
ermo

Posted on December 11 2007 11:18
For me Cobol, C en definitely Decset would be appropriate.
And of course thanx to HobbyistOne for all the work.

Eric
Author
wdunnahoo

Posted on December 12 2007 04:08
I would like COBOL, BASIC and Datatrieve. If there's room, DECset would be nice too.
Author Finalizing the kit...
HobbyistOne
Super Administrator

Posted on December 16 2007 10:53
I'm getting close to the final kit. Some people have gotten pre-releases of them, and I've gotten some feedback. Previously, I mastered kits based on a 650MB CD size, and now I'm using a 700MB size. This gives me some additional space for more products. Also, for the added kits that are not part of the standard OpenVMS kit (like TCP/IP, DECnet, DECWindows, etc), I'm zipping the kits to save every more room. And I'm putting UNZIP.EXE on the disk, or course.

So far, it looks like the kit is going to have:
OpenVMS V8.3
DECnet IV and V
TCP/IP
Kerberos
DECWindows
FORTRAN V8.1
BASIC V1.6
DEC C V7.3
COBOL V2.8
DEC C++ V7.3
DECSet (MMS, CMS, LSE, SCA, PCA)
Datatreive V7.3 (Go Wombats!)
Pascal V6.0
Compaq Secure Web Browser

Running pretty close to full, so there's probably not a lot more I can put on without taking something else off. If anyone has any comments on this software list, speak now!
Author Re: Finalizing the kit...
brad

Posted on December 17 2007 14:51
[quote:cb57d5c419="HobbyistOne"]I'm getting close to the final kit. Some people have gotten pre-releases of them, and I've gotten some feedback. Previously, I mastered kits based on a 650MB CD size, and now I'm using a 700MB size. This gives me some additional space for more products. Also, for the added kits that are not part of the standard OpenVMS kit (like TCP/IP, DECnet, DECWindows, etc), I'm zipping the kits to save every more room. And I'm putting UNZIP.EXE on the disk, or course.

So far, it looks like the kit is going to have:
OpenVMS V8.3
DECnet IV and V
TCP/IP
Kerberos
DECWindows
FORTRAN V8.1
BASIC V1.6
DEC C V7.3
COBOL V2.8
DEC C++ V7.3
DECSet (MMS, CMS, LSE, SCA, PCA)
Datatreive V7.3 (Go Wombats!)
Pascal V6.0
Compaq Secure Web Browser

Running pretty close to full, so there's probably not a lot more I can put on without taking something else off. If anyone has any comments on this software list, speak now![/quote:cb57d5c419]

Quite a complete list, I must say! Please let us know when it comes out, so that we may order it. Thanks again for all your support of the Hobbyist program!
Author
onedbguru

Posted on December 29 2007 06:20
only having 2 old Alpha 2100's - the newer CD format could be problematic for me. I may be aquiring a DS10L shortly, but it does not have a CD and will need to cannibalize one of my 2100's. They have served me well, but are definately starting to show their age. I purshased them in 1999 after they were retired from 2 different Charlotte-based companies where they ran 24x7 since 1995. They have been running 24x7 since 1999. How many other systems do you know that can sustain 24x7 for that long?

Since most of us have a PC and most of those have CD burners, is it possible to configure a "shopping cart" whereby we could purchase via Paypal and then download the iso CD to reduce wait time for the media - this would also reduce the "hands-on" time you and others that volunteer their time for this project would have to spend packaging and mailing the CD's.

Regards - and Thank you for the time you do spend volunteering,

Michael Austin - former DEC FS, and Rdb support.

PS - I would like to offer my services to assist in coding this process.
PPS - I also use phpbb on a private site - works great!!!
Author Goin' to Press...
HobbyistOne
Super Administrator

Posted on January 15 2008 04:16
I've gotten the final CD mastered, and will be taking it for duplication this week. I'm not sure on the exact delivery, but I think it takes about a week. I'll set up the site for pre-orders so those that would like one can get their order in soon.

Thanks to all those people that helped with the beta testing!
Author Re: Goin' to Press...
brad

Posted on January 15 2008 12:40
[quote:bee57b4d62="HobbyistOne"]I've gotten the final CD mastered, and will be taking it for duplication this week. I'm not sure on the exact delivery, but I think it takes about a week. I'll set up the site for pre-orders so those that would like one can get their order in soon.

Thanks to all those people that helped with the beta testing![/quote:bee57b4d62]

I'm anticipating being able to pre-order, but the site does not seem set up for it just yet; well, I'm "watching" this topic, so I hope I'll be able to pre-order soon.

Thanks for letting us know, and for all your hard work producing the CD!
Author Re: Goin' to Press...
sobrado

Posted on January 18 2008 07:10
[quote:f4a78e3455="HobbyistOne"]I've gotten the final CD mastered, and will be taking it for duplication this week. I'm not sure on the exact delivery, but I think it takes about a week. I'll set up the site for pre-orders so those that would like one can get their order in soon.

Thanks to all those people that helped with the beta testing![/quote:f4a78e3455]

Hi!

I ordered the OpenVMS Alpha and VAX (just to have one in case I get a VAX computer someday) hobbyist kits at the end of november (or the first days of december, I do not remember the exact date right now) and have not received it yet. Does it mean I will receive the updated kit? How can I make sure my request has been backordered instead of being lost?

I certainly do not want to order it again if the kit has just been delayed awaiting for the new kit becoming available; I do not want to receive two copies of the kit for each platform.

Cheers,
Igor.
Author Expected Arrival Date - Feb 7, 2008
HobbyistOne
Super Administrator

Posted on January 23 2008 12:37
I've talked to the company doing the duplication (real glass-mastered CD's, should have a good shelf life and collectors value!), and I should have them in my hands on Feb 7, 2008.

So, I appreciate everyones patience with me, testing of the Beta, and the wait will soon be over. I'll update the on-line order form with the updated information and will begin taking pre-orders very soon.
Author Checked on the order...
HobbyistOne
Super Administrator

Posted on January 24 2008 11:44
Igor,

You will get the updated kit. Some people who ordered have received an evaluation CD-R of the udpated kit, and they will also receive a production copy of the new kit. If you have ordered, and haven't received your kit yet, you will be getting the updated kit, too.
Author Expected cost?
reinhardtjh

Posted on January 28 2008 04:48
That's great news. Have you set a price for the new release?
Author Re: Expected Arrival Date - Feb 7, 2008
sobrado

Posted on January 28 2008 05:37
[quote:b7e56842d3="HobbyistOne"]I've talked to the company doing the duplication (real glass-mastered CD's, should have a good shelf life and collectors value!), and I should have them in my hands on Feb 7, 2008.

So, I appreciate everyones patience with me, testing of the Beta, and the wait will soon be over. I'll update the on-line order form with the updated information and will begin taking pre-orders very soon.[/quote:b7e56842d3]

These are certainly very good news. I know that testing the beta releases is an important stage and must be done carefully to ensure the highest quality in the final product (we do it twice a year for each OpenBSD release). Indeed, it is better a delay shipping the operating system media than sending it with important bugs in the layout to end users.

Reinhardtjh is right when he says that the new media will probably have a different price. It will not be a problem at all, I understand that it will be more expensive; it is something I would expect too. A glass-mastered CD will certainly be more reliable and will last for years.

Cheers,
Igor.
Author Re: Expected Arrival Date - Feb 7, 2008
HobbyistOne
Super Administrator

Posted on January 28 2008 10:01
[quote:cb28607f65="sobrado"][quote:cb28607f65="HobbyistOne"]I've talked to the company doing the duplication (real glass-mastered CD's, should have a good shelf life and collectors value!), and I should have them in my hands on Feb 7, 2008.

So, I appreciate everyones patience with me, testing of the Beta, and the wait will soon be over. I'll update the on-line order form with the updated information and will begin taking pre-orders very soon.[/quote:cb28607f65]

Reinhardtjh is right when he says that the new media will probably have a different price. It will not be a problem at all, I understand that it will be more expensive; it is something I would expect too. A glass-mastered CD will certainly be more reliable and will last for years.
[/quote:cb28607f65]

I've always done the Hobbyist kits as glass-mastered. When John Wisniewski and I started this up, we wanted the CD's to be long lasting, and worth collecting, too! Surprisingly, my cost to have new disks pressed was a little less than last time. So there will be no price increase, and shipping is still free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive