Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesWednesday, March 27, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 2
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | OpenVMS Hobbyist Media Kits | OpenVMS Alpha Media Kits
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Author Download of VMS
brad

Posted on December 16 2005 02:44
I imagine there has been discussion between "openvmshobbyist.org" and HP corporate/legal, regarding the possibility of making downloads of VMS available (perhaps for a nominal fee?). Is anyone in a position to comment or discuss?
http://www.turquoisewitch.com/~bradh
Author VMS Downloads
rjj

Posted on December 16 2005 04:04
There were torrents of VAX VMS 7.3 and Alpha 8.2 around a while ago. I'm not sure what the legal position is regarding the downloading and use of them. They cannot be used without valid licences, but to me the legal position is unclear. Hopefully, someone will know more.....
Russell
http://www.jotei.co.uk
Author Re: VMS Downloads
brad

Posted on December 17 2005 07:07
[quote:098597f4e2="rjj"]There were torrents of VAX VMS 7.3 and Alpha 8.2 around a while ago. I'm not sure what the legal position is regarding the downloading and use of them. They cannot be used without valid licences, but to me the legal position is unclear. Hopefully, someone will know more.....
Russell[/quote:098597f4e2]

Heh. I should have mentioned that I was looking for a legal way to do this (hence, the hint about paying for the service). No offense intended.

"VMS...The O/S good enough to pay for, even when the licenses are free..." :-)
http://www.turquoisewitch.com/~bradh
Anonymous

Posted on December 18 2005 10:55
[quote:79cc0b6568="brad"]
Heh. I should have mentioned that I was looking for a legal way to do this (hence, the hint about paying for the service). No offense intended.
[/quote:79cc0b6568]

Then the good news is that it is considered "legal" for Hobbyists to borrow media from friends, work, etc, to get the distributions they need. Also, check on EBay, since sometimes someone sells an older CONDIST set.

Torrents... I like the idea of torrents... Better than an FTP site. I'll pass that idea up.
Anonymous

Posted on December 18 2005 11:09
[quote:ab81583d8a="Anonymous"][quote:ab81583d8a="brad"]
[/quote:ab81583d8a]

Then the good news is that it is considered "legal" for Hobbyists to borrow media from friends, work, etc, to get the distributions they need. Also, check on EBay, since sometimes someone sells an older CONDIST set[/quote:ab81583d8a]

True - I know of a couple of people that I can ask; I was thinking more of the "isolated" hobbyist. Someone who doesn't know anyone else running the OS, personally or professionally. Believe it or not, this situation probably covers a significant number of would-be hobbyists. Even in my own case, it's not that easy to acquire the media. I have to either wait for my next LUG meeting, or attempt to hook up with very busy people, and travel significant distances to do so.

It would be a "nice thing to do".
Kenashkov

Posted on January 23 2006 02:58
[quote:3d8f1338d2="Anonymous"][quote:3d8f1338d2="Anonymous"][quote:3d8f1338d2="brad"]
[/quote:3d8f1338d2]

Then the good news is that it is considered "legal" for Hobbyists to borrow media from friends, work, etc, to get the distributions they need. Also, check on EBay, since sometimes someone sells an older CONDIST set[/quote:3d8f1338d2]

True - I know of a couple of people that I can ask; I was thinking more of the "isolated" hobbyist. Someone who doesn't know anyone else running the OS, personally or professionally. Believe it or not, this situation probably covers a significant number of would-be hobbyists. Even in my own case, it's not that easy to acquire the media. I have to either wait for my next LUG meeting, or attempt to hook up with very busy people, and travel significant distances to do so.

It would be a "nice thing to do".[/quote:3d8f1338d2]
I'm an OpenVMS hobbyist from Bulgaria. Here is virtually impossible to find anyone who had ever used it (in order to borrow a CD). I found some files at overnet network ( OpenVMS 7.3 for Alpha and VAX) and used them (with the hobbyist license). But I had a problem because PHP (I'm a PHP programmer) required 7.3-2 or 8.2 and at openvms.org I started a thread about that. Then I received a mail with two links to the HP official FTP site (ftp://ftp.hp.com) with OpenVMS 8.2 and Layered Products (in .zip/.bck format). Listing the files in the directory gives nothing, but the files are still there. I don't know who placed these files there, is this an official policy of HP? Or maybe the person who sent me the email works for HP. Hope is not illegal, because there is no another way for me to accuire it.
It is a good idea to make OpenVMS "downloadable" for hobbyist purposes, because (for example) from Bulgaria I can not order the Media Kit because the shipment will be costly and I even do not have a credit card of any type in order to pay for it.
Or at least the VAX version (7.3) - for usage with the SIMH emulator. Here in Bulgaria VAX are few and practicallty there is no Alpha machines. I had to search 4 months to find an old alpha PWS 600 (and I brough it from a person who didn't know what exactly was that). Maybe a special web site directed at SIMH+OpenVMS 7.3 usage (some tutorials + free download etc. - like that) can be made to popularize this OS among users with x86 hardware only. In my humble opinion it will not bring any commercial harm to HP.
In fact - no one outside the OpenVMS users and groups knows that with the Hobbyist Program and SIMH emulator one can run OpenVMS legally (for hobbyist purpose) on x86 hardware.
109218396 http://azonmedia.com
Author not an usual problem
imiller
Administrator

Posted on February 24 2006 05:07
In appears that obtaining VMS media is a common problem.
Parhaps hp could make iso image files (suitable for writing to a CD) available somewhere.
http://www.encompasserve.org/~miller/
Author
imiller
Administrator

Posted on March 25 2006 22:38
See
http://vmsone.com/~ovmskits/

smiley
Author iso's?!
Anonymous

Posted on March 29 2006 08:43
I can not find any iso there...
Author
imiller
Administrator

Posted on March 31 2006 05:51
there are no ISO images there but there are copies of the CDs you can browse. Not good for installing VMS but ok for getting individual layered product kits.
Author
Kenashkov

Posted on April 04 2006 04:17
Thank you very much Ian,
At last I can have a C compiler smiley
And of course tons of other software.
Author
imiller
Administrator

Posted on April 05 2006 01:57
The C compiler for OpenVMS Alpha is available via ftp from
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/C-CXX/openvms/c

and C++
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/C-CXX/openvms/cxx/

There are lots of interesting programs on the freeware collections
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/freeware/
Author
Kenashkov

Posted on April 05 2006 03:13
I already have the freeware, but a month ago I was searching for the Compaq C and I didn't found it and decided that there is just no free download for it.

P.S.
on the HP FREEWARE page is missing the link for version 4.0:
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/freeware/freeware40.zip
Maybe it will be useful to someone.

I think that the pages with OpenVMS software must be collected in one place - maybe in a sticky topic in this forum. I really have searched for the C compiler (the official HP ftp , a lot of other sites and nothing...) and I think a sush topic will be very useful especially for the newbies (including myself).
Author RE: vms 7.2 or 7.12 alpha
dibi58

Posted on December 14 2014 08:46
Any good soul has one of those binaries I can download ?

My multia disk died, and at the time I just upgraded it to 7.31, but now have no media to start from scratch.

Booting from floppy is a pain, and then those floppies are so old that may go at any time.

best,
daniel
;-)
Edited by dibi58 on December 14 2014 13:59
Author RE: Download of VMS
malmberg

Posted on December 16 2014 11:56
The last version of VMS that the HP supplied floppy images would work with is VMS 7.2-2.

I have seen reports that people have hacked VMS 7.3-x to also boot on VMS.

Have you e-mailed the e-mail address you got the Hobby license keys to see if a VMS 7.2-2 or Alpha VMS 7.3-x images are available?

You may also want to post where you are located in case there is someone close to you.

Sometimes posting on here or comp.os.vms will get you a private reply for a temporary download site from another hobbyist.
dibi58

Posted on December 18 2014 02:52
Well, I'm familiar with the procedure, maybe don't remember something, last I did it was over 10 years ago, and I installed 7.31 on both the multia and a noname axp33 (with different floppy images)

I had a hobbyist kit 7.2 (or 7.12) somebody gave me a copy of, and I have bought a long time ago a 7.31 kit from montagar, I don't remember their email. The problem is that I cant locate the 7.2 (or 7.12) kit, maybe I'll find it ten years from now, when I don't need it any longer ;-) but for now I'm stuck booting 7.31 from a 7.2 floppy (which I don't know how long is going to last, is probably 15 years old.)

Basically, after installing 7.2 (or 7.1.2) booting with alternate boot, the kit is installed from the floppies, and then it boots directly from hard disk. After that, an upgrade to 7.31 continues to boot from hard disk because now has all the drivers. The floppy does not install on an hard disk with 7.31, sais version mismatch or similar.

Now, if there is a way to do so 'directly' on 7.31, that would be nice. If anybody has ideas, let me know. Oh, and we are close to portland oregon.

Thank you
daniel
;-)
Edited by dibi58 on December 18 2014 02:57
Author RE: multia install (previous messages)
dibi58

Posted on December 22 2014 23:25
Disregard previous messages. Managed to install multia directly from vms 7.3.

floppy DVA0: (was shaky, replaced with mac powerbook 180 one, works good)
CD DKA400: (philips was shaky, replaced with toshiba)
HD DKA0:

1st step:

$ boot dka400,dva0 -fl 0,80000

runs installer, installed everything, reboot

2nd step

$ boot dka0,dva0 -fl 0,80000

runs autogen et cetera, reboot

3rd step

$ boot dka0,dva0 -fl 0,80000

runs autogen et cetera, log in

$ mount dva0 multia
$ copy dva0:[sys0.syscommon.sys$ldr]SYS$CPU_ROUTINES_0B04.EXE sys$loadable_images:
$ dismount dva0
$ shutdown

4th step, et voila', remove floppy

b dka0 -fl 0

"now boots from hard disk"

I'm not going to upgrade to 7.31, spent enough time on this anchor ;-)

cheers,
daniel
;-)
Edited by dibi58 on December 23 2014 05:52
Bruce Claremont

Posted on December 23 2014 02:20
Always satisfying to see a job through. Have you considered porting it to FreeAXP?
Author RE: freeaxp
dibi58

Posted on December 23 2014 06:12
Have a couple of those running, but realistically being limited to windows is something not very usable, emuvm runs also on linux but is still limiting, for vax solaris, openvms is supported with simh, I would like to see openvms running on qemu alpha, really, because here we would be going to a unified hypervisor multi architecture, which is where kvm wants to go.

My take would be also seeing the various charon, emuvm and gxemul (besides qemu alpha openvms) running on solaris, and possibly all those emulators supporting flags, the few times I tried they did not, but don't remember which witch is which.

I'm not sure if I interpreted correctly your comment.
AdrikaHali

Posted on November 24 2016 01:39
Can anyone please tell me where i can find a OpenVMS 7.3.2 image ( .iso/.vdisk/.img)
on the internet ?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive