Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesTuesday, May 07, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 3
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | Hobbyists and OpenVMS | Introduction Forum
Author Greetings from Lincolnshire, UK
Alex_Rawson

Posted on July 14 2006 07:33
Hiya all,
I am a semi-retired DEC programmer (I say that cos I am not old enough to retire, but I have been sort of forced to live in Lincolnshire and well....computers and certainly DEC machines aren't the sort of thing you find round here, and jobs programming them...forget it!!!)

I have been a programmer/analyst/systems designer on DEC stuff since 1982 and have worked in a variety of scenarios. I have managed to get my hands on a Alphaserver 4100 5/400. It has 4 CPU's, 2048MB RAM and 8 * 18GB Discs.

I really don't know what I will do with it, I saw it....and well...I just HAD to get it !!! smiley

This is my introductory post....there might be some more :wink:

ttfn
Author Re: Greetings from Lincolnshire, UK
brad

Posted on July 14 2006 16:23
[quote:bfac6cc887="Alex_Rawson"] [...]
I have been a programmer/analyst/systems designer on DEC stuff since 1982 and have worked in a variety of scenarios. I have managed to get my hands on a Alphaserver 4100 5/400. It has 4 CPU's, 2048MB RAM and 8 * 18GB Discs.

I really don't know what I will do with it, I saw it....and well...I just HAD to get it !!! smiley [...][/quote:bfac6cc887]

Well...

You could run VMS on it, along with a web server (OSU, WASD, or Apache) and SAMBA (for file services). Stable, relatively secure, etc. Have fun...
http://www.turquoisewitch.com/~bradh
Author good system - go and play
imiller
Administrator

Posted on July 16 2006 22:10
Good system! smiley

Get your self a hobbyist VMS licence and you can have all the compilers you may want. You have a choice of TCPIP stacks (hp, TCPWARE), three web servers (hp SWS, OSU, WASD), serveral databases.

You have more capacity on that system than most hobbyists so could you install all of them smiley

Why not write some software and release it for free. Is there anything you always wanted to have a go at?
http://www.encompasserve.org/~miller/
Author
Alex_Rawson

Posted on July 17 2006 00:44
I have already started installing stuff. I have the Hobbyist licences etc.
I managed to get VMS 7.2-1 CD's and the complete Software Library and all the documention (18 CD's in all) etc from Ebay for £8..thats where I got the machine too :wink:

I have so far managed to get onto the system
Decnet_Osi v7.2-1
DwMotif v1.2-5 (Though I dont know how to use it !!!!)
OpenVMS v7.2-1
TCPIP v5.0-10
VMS v7.2-1

Now I have to remember how to edit systartup to mount disks and set up logicals.
Then create user groups and UIC's and all that stuff. I think I may need a system manager :roll:

I also have to figure out how to connect the machine to my LAN.
Maybe some of you can help.
I have an ordinary 4 port Broadband Router and my PC is on one port. My mums is on another, my 2 boys use up the last two. There are Cat5 cables connecting the two halves of the house up...hard to explain.

The Alpha has 2 Newtork cards and I also have a 8 port 10/100 Switch in a box. I have loads of network cables.
What can I do so that the Alpha is on the Internet and also my PC and I would like to connect to the Alpha from my PC...I am a bit fed up of typing in licences, a bit of cut & paste from my mail messages would be a bit useful.

Oh well, I will soldier on...so much to do, so little time...and the lawns need a bit of work too.....and the kitchen re-painting....and curtains to be re-hung.

As for writing stuff...blimey....don't know what I could write. My only language experience has been Cobol, Basic, C and Java and the C & Java were only in my last years as a proper programmer.
I would like to try the Alpha as a WebServer, but I haven't got a static IP.

I am just going to bumble along....lol.

How do I put piccies up on this BB ?

ttfn[/img]
Author
Alex_Rawson

Posted on July 17 2006 05:32
http://vacant-chair.blogspot.com/2006/07/alphaserver-4100-4500-4400mhz-cpu.html
Author
imiller
Administrator

Posted on July 17 2006 23:03
Give up sleeping at night - its too hot anyway and you can be working on your system undisturbed smiley

connect a pc and the alpha to the switch and the switch uplink port to the router. Create an address reservation for your alpha on the router and staticly configure the same address in TCPIP$CONFIG, adding the router as the default gateway. Consider registering with dyndns.org (there is a free option) which gets you a name for your ISP assigned address.

Looking at getting a newer version of VMS and TCPIP - V5.0 was really bad. the V5.0A patch kits are available at
ftp://ftp.itrc.hp.com/openvms_patches/archived_patches/axp/7.X/v7.1-2/tcpip/5.0a/
Author
Alex_Rawson

Posted on July 20 2006 13:24
I have taken your advice and sent of for the

Install OpenVMS Alpha Hobbyist Kit V3.0

OpenVMS V7.3-1
DECWindows 1.2.6 (Motif)
DECnet Phase IV
DECnet OSI Phase V
TCPIP V5.3
Compaq C V6.5
FORTRAN V7.5

It has to come over from the States, so it gives me a few days to do other jobs.

I have managed now to get the switch in, the PC is on the net. The router is on the downlink....I had to figure out I needed a crossover.

When I have updated VMS and TCPIP I will give it another go.

Oh yes, I was wondering where the TCPIP License PAK was and couldnt find it. I then 'remebered' something about UCX and used that one. It seems to have worked. One of them non-documented 'features' ?

No wonder VMS didnt make it big, it's a pig to install & licence !

Any comments ?

ttfn
Author
imiller
Administrator

Posted on July 26 2006 00:01
UCX (Ultrix Connection) is the old name for TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS.
The required licence name is documented in the installation guide. You do read installation guides, release notes etc before installing
don't you :wink:

Personally I think VMS is easy to install and licence, but I have been doing VMS for quite a few years now so parhaps after the first couple of dozen installations it gets easy :lol:
Author
Alex_Rawson

Posted on August 09 2006 01:43
I have now got my VMS 7.3 CD and am busy installing stuff.

I did find quite a useful page that people might want to note.

It gives translations for the product name to the PAK name.

http://www.oit.umd.edu/slic/products/compaq/docs/VMS_CURRENT_OCT02.TXT

Hey ho...onwards we go.

I also saw on ebay 12 RZ1DD-VW 9.1GB Alphaserver Drives & Caddies which I might get. Add six to take me upto 14 and keep 6 as spare :wink:

The stuff that I can install direct from the Boot disk is on now and licensed.
My next problem is...I can't get the editor to work, i get sys$input must be supported crt.
I tried set term/inq...but it doesnt recognise the monitor. I have plugged in an ordinary PC monitor to the Matrox Millenium card but am reduced to edit at line level...or something like that.
How can I get the thing to work ? Will I have to get a VT terminal to use ?

It's really difficult changing SYSTART_VMS.COM, SYLOGICALS.COM & SYLOGIN.COM etc without an editor.
And...where should I put things like $ MOUNT DKB100: DEVELOP/SYS ?
Does that go in SYSTARTUP_VMS ?

I haven't even tried to get TCPIP etc working...again, no editor.
I'll have another play in a couple of days. I have downloaded Putty VT emulator too for my PC to have a play.

Any other advice from members ?

ttfn smiley
Author
tmr

Posted on August 09 2006 11:06
I had this problem too, but I used VGA only for system installation. Other things I have done over network. Some time after that I bought laplink cable which allows you to access TTA terminal from PC. I tried to make MMJ->CANON cable based on googled schema. This cable is not working, but it's probably my fail. So MMJ allow you to access OPA... only one big difference in using laplink instead of MMJ is that you don't se the startup...

You don't have to get a real VT terminal if you replace it by one of these cables, but I think it's fine to have VT.
216081476 http://www.fooboo.org/
Author
tmr

Posted on August 09 2006 11:17
uh, for the second question about mounting:

I have written a small DCL procedure which gets info about available disks and it does the mount for each disk from previously defined symbol... This procedure is called from SYSTARTUP_VMS in which is placed before starting other services depending on non-system disks...
216081476 http://www.fooboo.org/
Author
imiller
Administrator

Posted on August 09 2006 23:59
Do you have DECwindows running?

You may find it easier once you have TCPIP running as you can then use a VT emulator to telnet into the system and editing etc does work.

Disk mounting is usually done in SYSTARTUP_VMS but for disks containing extra page files they should be mounted in SYPAGSWPFILES.COM.

Cluster common disks are usually mounted in SYLOGICALS.COM

I normally have checks before mounting the disk - use F$GETDVI to check the device exists, is available and is not already mounted.
Specify the /NOASSIST qualifier on the MOUNT commands to ensure they won't wait for operator responses.
Author
Alex_Rawson

Posted on August 18 2006 08:07
I have now got things working...almost. :lol:

I configured TCPIP and use Putty to Telnet nicely across to the 4100.

I now have edited sys$manager:systartup_vms.com and stuck in
$ mount/noassist dkb100: user/sys
$ mount/noassist dkb200: data1/sys
$ mount/noassist dkb300: data2/sys

I'll do something with my other 4 disks soon enough.

I have managed to install quite a bit and license it.

------- Product ID --------
BASIC
C
CMS
COBOL
CXX-V
DTM
DTR
DVNETEXT
DW-MOTIF
FORTRAN
LSE
MMS
OPENVMS-ALPHA
PCA
UCX

PCA would not install on VMS7.3-1 because the version I had was from March 2001 Alpha Software Product Library which came with VMS 7.2-1 CD's I purchased. It was part of the DECSET install, I don't know what it does, havent even looked at what it is supposed to do, have never used it, so it's no loss :wink:

I will go through the rest of the CD's later to see what else I can put on. No harm in going for the max. :wink:

I am trying to see what VMS7.3-1 patches I can download too, because there is an annoying thing about SYS$TIMEZONE_RULE popping up on the Ops console and I read something on some bulletin boards...but it can wait.

I have downloaded OpenVMS Unzip & Zip and tried them out....seem to work. FTP'd them across from my PC nicely...after I realised I had to set binary.

I cannot get Motif/DECwindows to work at all.
I get decw$device-i-nodevice,no graphics devices found.
Maybe the Matrox Millenium card doesn't count...do I need to get another card ?

I also want to see what Internet Browser I can use. Mozilla will not run on 7.3-1 from what I can read. I looked at Mosaic, but all this seems to want Motif running so I am a bit stuck. Any suggestions ?

Currently my machine has 2 Storageworks shelfs, each with 4 18GB RZ1ED-VW disks, connected to 2 QLogic SCSI cards. I am thinking of using one/two of these 18GB disks as my backup disks as I don't have a DLT drive...or a SCSI card to plug that into...I'll have to save some pennies :wink:

What are the pros/cons of this approach ? And...what strategy should I adopt ? Comments please.

I think I might dig out some of my old source code and see if it compiles up....oh the joys of programming, compiling and linking.
def lnk$library etc smiley

I would like to get JAVA on board, but don't know if I need a license. I didn't get one in my hobbist licence mail message.
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/commercial/ has no mention of Java.
I will hunt around...so much to do...so little time. smiley

Please make your comments and observations. It is much easier doing this stuff when you have some sort of support.

Cheers
Author
brad

Posted on August 18 2006 12:06
[quote:09f5eb8424="Alex_Rawson"][...]
I also want to see what Internet Browser I can use. Mozilla will not run on 7.3-1 from what I can read. I looked at Mosaic, but all this seems to want Motif running so I am a bit stuck. Any suggestions ?

Currently my machine has 2 Storageworks shelfs, each with 4 18GB RZ1ED-VW disks, connected to 2 QLogic SCSI cards. I am thinking of using one/two of these 18GB disks are my backup disks as I don't have a DLT drive...or a SCSI card to plug that into...I'll have to save some pennies :wink:
[...][/quote:09f5eb8424]

I have no tape drive on my hobbyist machine - I have dedicated a 72G disk drive as my "archive" disk. I do image backups of my other disks to the archive drive, and then ZIP up the resultant save sets. I have also purchased several "spare" 72G drives, and I will swap these in and out as the "current" archive drive approaches capacity.

Seagate 72G disk drives are relatively cheap (~ $0.50 USD/Gsmiley and the low-profile ones fit nicely into the StorageWorks "blocks". You can even squeeze a high-profile one into the block, if you remove the foam padding on the block first!

As far as Mozilla is concerned, I ran it on V7.3-1 and 7.3-2 without issues, except that I found it slow, even with lots of memory. I was using it as a mail reader, but I found it unreliable, compared to Thunderbird on my linux laptop, so I've just been content with backing (tar) up my laptop, and FTP'ing the resultant .TGZ file to VMS for safekeeping. :-)
http://www.turquoisewitch.com/~bradh
Author Mozilla - CSWB
rjj

Posted on August 21 2006 04:00
Hi There,
My Alpha 800 triboots 7.2-1, 7.3-1 and 8.2 - Mozilla - CSWB runs fine on all of them - but as Brad noted it's quicker on 8.2
Still playing with my DS20 - too many machines, too little time....
Have fun!
Russell
http://www.jotei.co.uk
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive