Home · Articles · Downloads · Hobby Wear · Forums · Web Links · News CategoriesThursday, April 18, 2024
Navigation
Home
Articles
Downloads
Hobby Wear
FAQ
Forums
Web Links
News Categories
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
OpenVMS Bigot
Search
Users Online
Guests Online: 1
No Members Online

Registered Members: 7,708
Newest Member: nifseg
Sponsors
Island Computer
View Thread
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program | Integrity Systems Forums | Integrity Software Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Author OpenVMS V8.3 media kit for integrity systems?
ole_thor

Posted on February 28 2008 00:38
What is the possibility of getting a media kit for V8.3?
I costed it at a local supplier and they want nearly $500.
thanks,
Ole Jensen
Ottawa
Author
imiller
Administrator

Posted on March 06 2008 22:41
there has been a discussion about this in the dark waters of comp.os.vms

Personally I think that the hobbyist programme (not DSPP) would be the appropriate way of supplying VMS software to developers of free software.

I don't know what the barriers are to creation of a hobbyist kit for OpenVMS I64. Hopefully someone more informed will reply here.
http://www.encompasserve.org/~miller/
Author RE: OpenVMS V8.3 media kit for integrity systems?
imiller
Administrator

Posted on March 12 2008 06:12
Technically feasible certainly but how can a kit be acquired legally especially by someone who does not have the kits at work or know someone.
Author RE: Looks like it's getting time to beg...
HobbyistOne
Super Administrator

Posted on March 13 2008 03:45
I'll start the process for begging for permission. Once I get it, I should be able to make/clone a DVD. There might be less actual work for doing the IA64 DVD, since a lot more tools are already on there. The VAX and Alpha I have to identify and add layered products and try to fit what I can. I have the IA64 media kit, so that's not a problem.

The other thing, is it worth it? I have to fund these projects, and is there enough demand to make it worthwhile? Are there enough Integrity's in Hobbyist hand to merit a production DVD run? Or is it few enough that a DVD-R (which require more work in the long run) is reasonable?
imiller
Administrator

Posted on March 17 2008 01:13
I suspect the number of people who have and Itanium system capable of running VMS at home and who do not have access to the Itanium VMS kits at work is low but I may be wrong.
brendan

Posted on April 03 2008 15:20
Has anyone been able to get any media kit from HP for the Integrity systems?

HP doesn’t seem very forth coming with this.

BTW, My work has no VMS systems hence cannot get media from my work. I do have a system that should run VMS.

Thanks
imiller
Administrator

Posted on April 04 2008 09:33
Brenden,
if you say where you are then there may be someone nearby who can help lend you a kit
brendan

Posted on April 05 2008 15:19
Australia, Queensland smiley
Also talking to the local encompass group they also seem to be having problems getting it.

Thanks
Brendan
Author RE: DSPP
HobbyistOne
Super Administrator

Posted on April 06 2008 05:21
The HP DSPP (The software developer program) used to offer free Integrity kits to members. Which is where I got mine for my RX2620. I'm not sure if they are still offering that, as I haven't checked recently. You might be able to find a partner to help you out.
jkmccarthy

Posted on April 06 2008 21:08
I'm in Los Angeles, CA, and would like to hear from anyone local who would be willing to lend me an OpenVMS on Integrity media kit (note I'd be registering my own hobbyist licenses). My hardware platform is an HP zx6000 workstation (dual 1.5GHz / 6Mb cache processors), on which --officially speaking-- OpenVMS is unsupported (but I'm keeping my fingers crossed).

I'm currently running "Scientific Linux v4.1" for IA-64 (built on Red Hat Enterprise Linux v4) on this machine.

https://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/4x/41/

((I'm also interested in finding a copy of "Windows XP Professional 64-bit Edition Version 2003" for IA-64 if anyone knows of anyone who's upgraded to Windows Server and has this IA-64 version of WinXP (not x64 !) for sale.))

Trying hard to be patient for the true "hobbyist" itanium media kits,

-- Jim

http://108.245.139.61:8000/~jkm/computers.htm
Edited by jkmccarthy on April 06 2008 21:12
http://108.245.139.61:8000/~jkm/
brendan

Posted on April 07 2008 22:34
"The HP DSPP (The software developer program) used to offer free"
used to...
Not any more only if you are a member of an regested company...
http://h21007.www2.hp.com/portal/site/dspp/template.PAGE/page.dspp_benefits
Can't get Media as an individual.

It seems very hard to get a hold of this media kit.
Tad annoying since HP has a huge page on "supporting hobbist" vms users.

Thanks
Brendan
imiller
Administrator

Posted on April 09 2008 02:50
cross reference to itrc
Edited by imiller on April 09 2008 02:51
jkmccarthy

Posted on May 03 2008 13:19
In the "Alpha Software" sister forum to this one, Stephen Hoffman recently wrote:

Do consider what you might be willing to offer here to move the proposal forward, rather than -- as you put it -- simply wanting more. As with most things in life, the folks that want more and are willing to pay for that privilege -- whether in kind, in work, in exchange for favors, in programming or testing time, in hardware or software contributions, or yes, in cash -- tend to generate the most interest.

Bravo, sir -- well said.

As someone who is eager to see OpenVMS media kits for Itanium made available to hobbyists, I realize that discussions/negotiations with HP are a primary hurdle that the OpenVMS-Hobbyist leads need to tackle (starting soon at "bootcamp"). But once those obstacles are (hopefully) removed, I also appreciate that there will likely be significant up-front costs in getting quality media produced.

So with this posting I'd like to ask / challenge others in the Hobbyist community who -- like me -- are especially eager to see this become a reality, to contact Hoff and/or HobbyistOne via private messages on this site, with an offer to help defray (share) some of those up-front costs.

Sure, we could all sit on the sidelines, and wait patiently (some more patiently than others :-), and rely on the principals here to do everything *including* cover all the upfront costs themselves (and with no guarantee enough bootable DVDs will be sold "at cost" to break even on their initial investment) ... and eventually we'll probably only need to pay about US$30 or so for the Itanium kit on DVD.

*** OR, a motivated handfull of us could instead offer to contribute (say) US$150 each (or whatever each individual can afford and/or considers appropriate) to the effort to demonstrate our strong support for this and at the same time relieve the principals (who volunteer large amounts of their time already) from having to cover the entire up-front cost of project themselves in addition to their very significant investments of time.

If for reasons unknown to me this proposal might actually be counter-productive, of course I invite HobbyistOne or Hoff to reply to this post to tell us "thanks, but no thanks." But unless/until you see a followup message to that effect, please consider joining me in stepping forward (depending on your level-of-interest and budget) to help move the effort forward by defraying most or all of the up-front costs.

Thanks !!

-- Jim

http://108.245.139.61:8000/~jkm/computers.htm
http://108.245.139.61:8000/~jkm/
samnirmal

Posted on October 13 2008 16:48
Is the media kit available yet?
GerryB

Posted on December 10 2008 16:32
Hi,

I'm ready for my Integrity OpenVMS kit. I must have it after all that I went thru recently. My server had MP (Management Processor) firmware at 2.10. So I tried to go to 3.30. No go. Had to go to 2.29 first. No go. Had to go to 2.26 with that ugly FTP update process first. Finally. all upgraded. So I loaded UBUNTU on there for now but my Alpha (with VMS) is starting to act up, so I need to go to the Integrity system soon. Let's get something going here soon. Would be a great Christmas present!

Regards,

Gerry
frankydude

Posted on December 16 2008 07:32
I recently bought 2 integrity servers on Ebay, for $250 each. They have 2 Itaniums 1.5GHz, 10GB RAM. I think they are very well qualified for a hobbyist VMS setup, but the medias are not available yet!

Like a lot of people, i tried to found them on the net, but it's quite a challenge to do so!

I think that the media kit for itanium would be more that welcome!

Francois
Author RE: How much are "real" media kits?
etorbenson

Posted on December 22 2008 09:10
frankydude wrote:
I recently bought 2 integrity servers on Ebay, for $250 each. They have 2 Itaniums 1.5GHz, 10GB RAM. I think they are very well qualified for a hobbyist VMS setup, but the medias are not available yet!

I've got the same issue. I can easily run Windows Server or Linux on my new Integrity box until this is available, but I specifically bought the equipment so I can try out OpenVMS. (This was the first-ever shared computer system I had access to when I was younger, and I just want to see what's new and not so new! :-) )

I work in a Windows world, so there's no OpenVMS anywhere in our environment. Is buying a media kit for Integrity a multi-hundred dollar adventure?
HobbyistOne
Super Administrator

Posted on December 23 2008 07:12
I'll prod the powers the be again... smiley
brad

Posted on December 23 2008 14:47
HobbyistOne wrote:
I'll prod the powers the be again... smiley

Thanks, from all of us. Happy Holidays!
http://www.turquoisewitch.com/~bradh
kuroneko

Posted on February 19 2009 17:11
Just a quick me-too - I'm a Hobbyist based in Sydney, Australia with a zx2000 I'd be keen to run OpenVMS on, but with no access to VMS Integrity media kits.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
Are you going to OpenVMS Boot Camp 2016?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

malmberg
August 04 2022
No more VAX hobbyist licenses. Community licenses for Alpha/IA64/X86_64 VMS Software Inc. Commercial VMS software licenses for VAX available from HPE.

ozboomer
July 20 2022
Just re-visiting.. No more hobbyist licenses? Is that from vmssoftware.com, no 'community' licenses?

valdirfranco
July 01 2022
No more hobbyist license...sad

mister_wavey
February 12 2022
I recall that the disks failed on the public access VMS systems that included Fafner

parwezw
January 03 2022
Anyone know what happened to FAFNER.DYNDS.ORG? I had a hobbyist account here but can longer access the site.

gtackett
October 27 2021
Make that DECdfs _2.1A_ for Vax

gtackett
October 27 2021
I'm looking for DECdfs V2.4A kit for VAX. Asking here just in case anyone is still listening.

MarkRLV
September 17 2021
At one time, didn't this web site have a job board? I would love to use my legacy skills one last time in my career.

malmberg
January 18 2021
New Hobbyist PAKs for VAX/VMS are no longer available according to reports. Only commercial licenses are reported to be for sale from HPE

dfilip
January 16 2021
Can someone please point me to hobbyist license pak? I'm looking for VAX/VMS 7.1, DECnet Phase IV, and UCX/TCPIP ... have the 7.1 media, need the license paks ... thanks!

Bart
October 16 2020
OpenVMS, and this website!

malmberg
September 05 2020
VSI community non-commercial licenses for AXP/IA64 are available now.

malmberg
September 05 2020
See the forum about licensing. Don't know if HPE hobby licenses still being issued. Commercial licenses still being sold.

silfox70
September 01 2020
I need the license for OpenVMS7.3. Where can I find them?

malmberg
August 29 2020
Eisner, which is currently being moved, got an SSH update and the keys were updated to more modern encryption standards.

Shoutbox Archive